The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
c.j.sikes

making jacket bullets

in 1964 i bought a sas mighty might buller making tool . it made jacket bullets, 30 cal. in this case. the jacket i bought from seria

ia, just a thimble, the core was cast soft lead and the dies formed the bullet. i sold it to a friend years ago. i now am looking to buy another used mighty might if any one has one for sale please let me know. c. j. sikes, 202 houston, marlow, okla. 73055 or call 1-580-658-5583 thanks cjs
Old August 4, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Keep a eye on ebay, every so often one pops up.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:32 AM   #3
c.j.sikes

making jacket bullets

jaqurxk120 thanks for the tip, i have been looking, my son saw one there but failed to tell at the time. i have a carbin set for making .22 cal from 22 shells . works well but is very slow. i then rembered the mighty might, far faster, but to late. my friend had passed away so the machine is not available now.the things we do that we regret. thanks cjs
Old August 6, 2009, 05:01 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

I have that setup to, yes its on the slow side, but the bullets perform like no others. Jus like sending a M80 downrange to the varmint. Usually there's nothing left of the bullet to show the jacket was made from a 22RF casing. Used them mostly in 223 and hornet. Had some made years ago in 243 wow, they took those dogs apart like nothing else, wish I had the dies for 243 though.
Old August 7, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
c.j.sikes

making jacket bullets

you are so right. riged up a way to flat the point of bullet. the benchrest boys tell me iy is more accrate. we will see, havent tested yet. i have a priver bench set up on a friends ranch. it been over 100 degrees here so i am waiting for it to cool off. i took a milling bit put it in my drill press and reversed a 22 cal bullet puller, droped in 2 empty sized cases and put the finished 22 rd in , trimmed just a little . looks good. just though you might wont to know. beats 70 bunks to sinclair for their tool and it not hand powered. cjs