The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2008, 10:20 AM   #1
ipscchef

Buying a Turret Press

I am seriously thinking of buying a turret pres,and have been looking at the Redding T7. I do not have any place that I can compare features side by side and do not want to make my decision based on the different "Ad Campains" by the companies.
I am hoping some of you with experience can at least point me in the right direction.
I load for at least nine different calibres, including 2 in .45 Colt, 2 in .45acp,
.22-250,.223.,7x57,.270,.45-70 at all three levels, .30-06, and .300WBY. And Hopefuly soon.257WBY
Any help from anyone with experiece would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
ZX10Aviator

Best of luck, I recently got the classic lee turret for my first press kit, love it, changine calibers takes 20 seconds at the most, dont know if they are all that way, but, I love my turret, and Im sure you will also.

I have loaded 9mm, .45acp and .223 so far in mine.

Last edited by ZX10Aviator; December 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3
woodysan

Lee classic.

I bought the Lee Classic yesterday,am in the process of setting it up. The quality is really good,could have spent a lot more money and I don't think it would be much! if any better. Be sure and discuss with your dealer what calibers especially magnums you are reloading that might make a BIG difference in what press you need. Good Luck Woody
Old December 18, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4
JJE

The biggest difference in turret presses is probably the number of die stations in the turret. My RCBS has 6 stations, which is more than enough for any single caliber. I typically have: sizer, expander, seater, Lee factory crimp and maybe a universal decapper, which leaves an empty station to provide access for the "wrench" that you use to bolt down the turret (not necessary, but convenient). Don't know about the Redding, but I know some turrets have only 4 stations - that would work, I'd want to have at least 5 for convenience - and convenience is the whole point of having a turret as opposed to a single die station.

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old December 18, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Sam06

I have a Redding, you'll enjoy it. Don't take my word for it though go here and read the reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=588482

The Lee gets good reviews also but there have been some posts here about broken ratchets.

I like my Redding, yea it was more than 2X the price of the Lee but its a good machine and my Great Great Grandkids will be loading on it.

I load for some wildcats and I see you load some big cartridges like the 300 WM. The extra beef and weight will help with the loading. The turret is very stable and it indexs like a real machine. Here the Lee is a little tin-ey to me.

Here is the classic Lee press:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=814175

Last edited by Sam06; December 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added info