The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

One powder for .25 to .45??

When I start to reload, can I get by with only one powder for .25, .380, 9MM, .38 SPL, .45 ACP and .45LC? If yes, which?

Surely, I would not need 6 different powders!

From looking at some loading manuals when I visited a father (county sheriff's dept.) /son (city police dept.) LEO family ( with equiptment, etc to load everything and 40+ and 25+ years of experience) and I actually, under their close supervision, reloaded a box of .44 Spl, I saw that of about 6 or 7 powders listed in the manual for the particular bullet weight, each had a different # of grains for the same velocity. Looks like I could choose, for each caliber, one powder, and load one weight for target and slightly more of the same powder for SD so long as I stay within the min / max load recommdations for the particular bullet. Right?

May be wise to load for same velocity (and kick?) for both the practice and the SD bullet. What do you say about this.

OK, some powders burn faster than others and a heavier bullet needs a faster burn, right? So , maybe I need two or three powders for the 6 calibers based on bullet weight and powder burn speed. Which ones?

I'm not interested in going to the range with a chronometer or chronograph to check velocity. I'm looking for simple.

Thanks.

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; January 9, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I use Win 231 for everything from 380 to 45 LC. It will work but no where near the best for all.
For the 9mm to 45CP it’s by far my favorite for target and plinking loads. Using one powder for all you’re never going to get the highest velocity or accuracy but you can get good results.
I load all of my handguns with 5 different powders.
There should be a burn rate from slowest for fastest in your manual its this burn rate that makes some difference. But the big thing is that it’s all about pressure. The powder loads given in manuals are tested and are safe for SAMMI pressures. Going above that point and your building a possible bomb.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

If you need more data for W231
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Alliant's >Bullseye.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Look at unique and universal clays as well.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I think you need at least 2 powders.
Titegroup for the .25, .380, 9mm, .38 spl and .45acp.
Universal or Unique for 9mm, .38 spl, .45acp and .45 Colt.

Last edited by Hammerhead; January 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
reloader28

I aint tried 25's but I use Bullseye in everything else.
Unique works good too.

I will add that is for cast bullets. Since I dont shoot jacketed bullets, I dont know if these powders will work in all the calibers you listed.

Last edited by reloader28; January 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:57 AM   #7
warningshot

w231.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:40 AM   #8
jwrowland77

Unique
Old January 10, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Don P

TITEGROUP for all. 380, 38/357, 9MM, 40S&W, 45 ACP
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
jimbob86

Titegroup can make for lower than 50% load densities in .45ACP, .40 S&W .... if you are OK w/ that ......
Old January 10, 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom2X
OK, some powders burn faster than others and a heavier bullet needs a faster burn, right?
No. Other way around. The heavier bullet goes slower, giving a slow powder more time burn, which slow powder needs. It is light bullets and slow powder that don't play nicely together, often resulting in a lot of unburned and otherwise wasted powder. The heavy bullet can still be propelled by a fast powder, though. It just can't be made to go as fast as a slow powder can make it go. In principle this is because the slow powder peaks when the bullet is further down the bore, making more space behind it, and thus you can use more of the slow powder without exceeding safe pressure.

I'm going to agree with the recommendation for 231. You'll find .231 can be used for target loads up to full standard velocity and muzzle energy loads in all the cartridges you named. I prefer others in specific applications, but you need a powder fine enough and bulky enough to accurately meter the 1 to 1.5 grain loads in the diminutive .25 Auto cases. The several flake powders mentioned will be harder to keep consistent in such tiny charges. Indeed, I expect you'll find it difficult for most measures to give you charges that small at all. You may wind up taking a .22 rimfire case, soldering a wire to the rim as a handle, then filing its length down until if forms a scoop the right size for the small charges (assuming you don't want to weigh each one).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 10, 2013, 01:02 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
I'm going to agree with the recommendation for 231.

I wish you guys would quit doing this....it makes finding W231 on the shelves harder and harder all the time. Went to the LGS to get some W231 right before the mass buying frenzy. Guy in line in front of me asks for some and was told they were sold out. He steps aside and I ask Troy if they have any HP38. He tells me, "yep, but only 2 one pounders left". I tell him I'll take both unless the other guy wants one. The other guy turns me down sayin' he only likes W231. When I finally convince him that it's the same powder, he then gets mad cause he can't have both jugs, claimin' he asked first!
Old January 10, 2013, 03:30 PM   #13
rajbcpa

I currently use 5 powders but i cannot find any of these in stock anywhere

So dont think you can buy any one powder for lots of different loads. You cant. If you find any powder at all, consider yourself lucky.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:41 PM   #14
zxcvbob

Bullseye would be my first choice. Promo or Red Dot or Green Dot would also work.

I'm not sure about Unique in the .25, but it probably works there too and it's great in the other cartridges you listed.

Then there's always AA#2 and Universal...
Old January 10, 2013, 03:42 PM   #15
schmellba99

I use Universal Clays for all of my pistol loads (9mm, .38, .357, .45 Colt and .45 ACP) as well as my shotgun loads.

Works just fine in all of them. May not be optimal for each and every one, but sometimes 95% as good and simple is infinitely better than 100% as good and complicated.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:45 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

Bull's Eye or Win 231 will work in all of those listed. There is also lots of data lised for a wide range of bullets in all of those listed in most major reloading manuals. They both also meter very well so you do not end up having to hand weigh every charge.

If you plan on cast lead bullets I would advise against TiteGroup. I use it alot for 9mm jacketed. I do not like it for cast lead in any caliber.

Also for .25 ACP be ready to pich your fingers a few times, and cuss a blue streak when you get started with it. That short case holding the bullet straightas you start the round into the die. You will pinch your fingers a few times.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
327 FM

HP-38
Old January 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #18
alan

Some would suggesst Bullseye, others Unique, others Red Dot.

I expect any of the foregoing would serve.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:03 PM   #19
ZOOM2X

Thanks. More ??

Thanks for your input. Looks like I ought to order at least two powders.

Titegroup for the .25, .380 and .38 Spl
Unique for the 9MM, .40S&W and both .45s
Probably would not hurt to get some Win 321, too.

At least that's a start. I probably ought to load a few of each caliber and go to the range and see how they do before cranking up production.

I think I am ready to bite the bullet and order the Lee Classic Turret Kit, dies, turrets and red round turret boxes for all these calibers. then its cases, bullets, powder and storage boxes.

I'll need to clean out an area in the basement to set up shop. I have an unused John Boos Butcher Block 2' X 3' table down there but I hate to drill holes in it for the press. I may just get some help and build this:

http://www.cornerhardware.com/how_to..._workbench/082

Any suggestions?

I am not sure about the lower shelf which may hinder getting close enough to sit but I guess I could rest my feet on the lower shelf or move the lower front crossbeam back to the middle of the two lower end beams and have only a rear-half lower shelf. I think it would be sturdy enough depending on how I end screwed the front, now middle lower crossbeam to the end beams and braced it. I need to sit in a chair that I would use for reloading at the bench and do some measuring before cutting the legs and setting the shelf height. Any thoughts?

I am in Johnson City, TN. If anyone on the forum is close I would like to meet you and see your setup. I recently saw the Mxxxxxx's setup where I got to do some loading but that's the only one I've seen in person. i've seen some outstanding setups on line.

FS Reloading said I can't substitute items on the kit. I don't want the balance beam scale that is included. I offered to pay the small difference for the digital scale but it looks like I'll end up with 2 scales -- one of each.

Oh, one other thing. When i reloaded with the Mxxxxxx's, every cartridge firing pin was given a clear fingernail polish! They said it eliminates worry of moisture getting in the powder, regardless of how long the cartridge sits. Anyone else do this?

NRA Benefactor
Old January 11, 2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Buck460XVR and 327FM,

Be aware HP38 is the same identical powder as 231, and is interchangeable. Both are canister grade St. Marks OBP231, just differently branded (Hodgdon HP38 and Winchester 231). You'll see the load data for the two are identical on the Hodgdon site.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
Unique for the 9MM, .40S&W and both .45s
Alliant's Power Pistol works well for these and meters much better.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

I would advise against Unique unless you do not mind hand weighing each charge. It meters very poorly. In .45 acp it is sooty, and dirty.

I would suggest skipping TiteGroup unless you are shooting jacketed bullets. If shooting jacketed then it will work for all of those. It meters well in powder measures.

If using cast lead Bull's Eye will work, and it works well with jacketed as well. It meters like water.

Win 231/HP38 Work with cast or jacketed, and it meters well also.

For me I stick with Bull's Eye when using cast in .45 ACP. 9mm Jacketed, and plated I use TiteGroup. .38 Special, and .41 Mag I use Trail Boss.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:48 PM   #23
Xfire68

I am glad I don't have to pick just one powder but if I did it would be Unique.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #24
Hogeman

Win 231 works for me.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #25
mumbo719

Tough choice for me between Bullseye and HP-38.