The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Surveillancemike

REALLY NEW to reloading, and starting w/ .223

Ok, here is what i am doing: I want to load a fast, but MAINLY accurate round for my .223. I am using RCBS dies, and had been using 55gr fmj's because that is what i had a ton of when i got all my stuff together. But i also found out that my gun doesnt like 55grs(i have a M700 SPS Tactical w/ 1-9 twist), so i went ahead and got 68gr HPBT from Hdy. My buddy has 16lbs of IMR 4064, and he reloads .308 and the Hdy book said i could use that for the round, so it made sense. So i tried the 4064 in 20 rounds of 55grs, and didnt get very accurate shots. Now that i am going to a bigger bullet, i am wondering if there is a better powder out there for my round? Can you guys give any tips, or EVEN BETTER, some personal hand loads that have great speed closest to 3k fps, but 1/2" at 100yrs? That might be asking a lot, but i just want to get the most out of this, and WILL TAKE ANY ADVISE!!!!!

Thanks EVERYONE!
Old August 7, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Farmland

Heck what do I know I have only loaded for rifles one month. Though I have loaded handguns for over 15. What I found finding the right load is a process. You start at the min load then start working with the other factors. That could be more powder or a change in the OAL.

I work up around 5 rounds each for several loads then I see how they perform. From my limited one caliber that I have done I found a powder weight near the min and a longer OAL worked the best for accuracy. I will note that my load for my rifle wasn't even close to what works well in my buddies rifle. The strange thing mine worked better with a different powder. We have the same 25-06 rifle. Go figure.
Old August 7, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
ir3e971

I would think you should be able to get good accuracy with 55gr bullets with a barrel that has a 1 to 9 twist. I use that weight bullet with H335 and have very good luck.

I do see that your standard is 1/2 inch at 100 yards. It may take a bit of work experimenting and practicing to get to that point.

It is very possible there are other factors affecting accuracy besides bullet weight.

I will leave it to you to look up your own load data as that is part of the learning process.
Old August 7, 2009, 07:57 PM   #4
A_Gamehog

1:9 shoots 50-77 just fine

AA2230 works in every 223 I have 35-90
H335 does also 35-69
Tac very good and accurate. 40-80
Reloader 15 is another good heavier bullet powder 50-77
Varget is good in everything from 40-80

your problem is you want "Match grade accuracy" from FMJ bullets. Nobody makes them good enough. most get 1" or bigger groups @ 100 yards with FMJ from all makers it does not matter. That's a 10 shot group not some 3 shot fluke from a cold barrel. Only buy a 1 lb canister of powder until you get the recipe you like. In my experience 4064 is good in larger cases 22-250>30-06

One last thing, the 2nd or 3rd or 4th bullet type may not work well either.
Buy small quanities, test often and Document each and every load so mistakes are never tried twice. Start a Binder with targets and loadings.
I have been wrong before but i would wager 10 bucks nobody here who has loaded for any time will state they get 1/2" groups from FMJ 55 rounds at 100 yards.

In the world of reloading experience is everything, learn from your friend and treat him as a mentor. I always learned easier when shown in person a simple task such as setting up your press and dies. Double check everything and doubt every load you read here and elsewhere, by that I mean load by a known source, Sierra, Nosler, Lee all have good load books and online the powder companies provide free load data. It would not be wise to take a published load from somebody on the internet and just load it. resist that quick temptation of "hitting a home run in 10 minutes" worth of reading. All guns are different, therfore all loads are custom for each rifle. What works for me won't 99% of the time work for you.

Go to the local Sportsmans wharehouse and get a spiral bound "Loadbook" they run $7.99 and cover only one calibur gun with every known powder maker and bullet maker in one book!

Good luck!

Last edited by A_Gamehog; August 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: red-neck-spell-check
Old August 7, 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

ramshot tac @ 25grains per,,,,69 grain hornady hpbt bullets... sweet at 400yds.
Old August 7, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Surveillancemike

ya i did start out in the right direction, i have a note book that i right down everything i do in it, from what my Batch 1 to Batch 4 is, etc. I have only loaded a total of 20 rounds. After i got the 20rds, i went out and shot them, then took teh target down, and looked at each group. I did load 5 bullets per batch. i started at 24.8 grs, and moved up to 25.6 grs. They all shot all over the place, but some were better than others, as i was expecting. My thinkin is that i would do like a bracket system, take batches, shoot'em, then take the winner out of that, save it, make another, and then take the winner, shoot the two winners, etc.

Here is another questions: I have some Full lenght and Short Dies? What are they for, or better what do they do? Would i gain any advantage at this stage getting a Match grade or competition grade die set? What do i gain w/ theses dies?
Old August 7, 2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Surveillancemike

Another question, lol, sorry

I know there are some cheap powders out there, so when i look up the powders that you guys recommend, like AA2230, could you tell me who that is and not the knock off brand? Sorry, i heard that there is some crap out there that label their stuff to sound like the "real deal" and i dont want ot buy the bad stuff
Old August 7, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
A_Gamehog

Expect to pay 20-30$ for powder by the pound

Ramshot Tac is Western powders http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Accurate arms AA2230 is http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Hodgdon is http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Just read and learn from their load data. it's like Ford Chevy, Dodge, they are all competitive and each has good and bad points.
Old August 7, 2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Surveillancemike

got you, i looked at RamShot, and it had fast load speeds for the 68gr bullet, but i have to find some of the other load data from the other guys to see the difference
Old August 8, 2009, 02:11 AM   #10
223 shooter

Quote:
your problem is you want "Match grade accuracy" from FMJ bullets.
Exactly! Try some match bullets.

Quote:
But i also found out that my gun doesnt like 55grs(i have a M700 SPS Tactical w/ 1-9 twist
I have the similar 700LTR and it shoots 55 grain match bullets with exceptional accuracy as well as 52 and 69 grains. Good luck with the 68 Hornadys.
Old August 8, 2009, 02:40 AM   #11
steve4102

Quote:
Here is another questions: I have some Full lenght and Short Dies? What are they for, or better what do they do?
Sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse. Not to be rude, but if you do not know what a Full Length die is and what it is for, I would suggest you stop reloading immediately. Put the powder and bullets away and get your manual out and read it. Not the back half with all the load data, the front half that teaches you how to load and load safely. If you do not have a manual, buy one or ten. Or you could borrow some from your friend. The Lyman 48 or 49 is a very good choice for the beginning reloader.