The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 1999, 06:44 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

If some one could explain the differences in Level 1,2,3 and what makes one better then the other?

Also, what are the best choices (Brands, makes models) for particular roles?

For instance:

SWAT / Combat role

Daily wear

And so on.

Old April 30, 1999, 08:51 PM   #2
Jim V

The levels indicate what they are rated to stop. 1 being the least protective. I can not give you the protection levels off the top of my head and my catalog from Second Chance has been borrowed.
http://www.secondchance.com should get there.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Old May 1, 1999, 04:37 AM   #3
Bulldog

I believe that the most common levels, from lowest to highest, are IIa, II, and IIIa. I can't remember exactly what each will protect you from, but the minimum, I believe, is 9mm and .357 for the IIa, and the II and IIIa will protect from .44mag (can't remember grains and velocities).

For daily wear, you'll normally see the IIa or II, but sometimes you'll see the IIIa's (Dallas P.D. used to issue IIIa's). For SWAT/Combat situations, you will likely see level IIIa and I believe the levels can even go up around IV.

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited May 01, 1999).]
Old May 1, 1999, 05:09 AM   #4
Ossi

Levels 1, 2A, 2 and 3A are soft body armor, made of Kevlar, Twaron, Spectra Shield, Dyneema etc. They are able to stop slower (handgun caliber) ammo. In short, level 1 is about outdated, stops only .22 and .38 lead. Level 2A stops also .38, ,40, .45 and slower 9mm and .357 Mag etc. Level 2 stops most 9mm and .357 Mag. Level 3A stops about all handgun ammo including .44 Mag plus hot 9mm fired from a submachinegun. These soft vests are not, however, sure stoppers for armor-piercing ammo handgun ammo (not available to general public). Levels 3 and 4 are hard armor, mostly made of steel or ceramics. 3 stops rifles up to .308, and 4 up to .30-06 AP. When used, level 3 and 4 plates are mostly worn over soft armor. When the level number goes up so does the protection AND weight. Choosing a vest is a compromise between protection and wearability. Also, if concealment is a factor (large) hard armor plates are out of question. Ossi