The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Anthony Williams

Which Semiauto To Buy?

Ha, who in here has not delt with that delema? Anyway, after spending more time than I probably should have, I've decided upon the Glock 30 Gen4 .45ACP.
That is of course should the weather change.

A.W.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
Anyway, after spending more time than I probably should have,
I'm not sure that's possible. The best advice is to go to a range that rents guns and try out a dozen to find the one that fits your hand best. Other than that, everyone has a favorite; mine happens to be my CZ P01, but that doesn't mean it would fit you.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Gene Weeden

I like the Glock 30. And like yourself, I did a ton of searching too. I'm pleased with my decision.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
mrt949

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE
Old December 8, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
RC20

The Title is posed as a question and the post is an answer.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
wbw

"The Title is posed as a question and the post is an answer. "

That's what I'm thinking. He's not really asking us a question. He's telling us what was on his mind.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
thinktwice

In my opinion you couldn't have made a better choice. I think the G-30 is one of the best 45's out there. I love my G-30 and I have the 21 & 36 too. As far as the Gen.-4 I can't comment on that, all of mine are Gen.-3
Old December 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
SFsc616171

RE:Which Semiauto To Buy?

Dear Anthony,

It seems that you would like a ".45". Someone mentioned going to a range where you can rent a pistol, hopefully one that is '.45', and determine if that is too much gun or not for you. Seeing, watching videos, and reading about '.45's, might not be the same as experiencing one in your hand.

Buying a handgun should not, by right of personal monetary cost, be a case of buyer's remorse.

IF you desire a '.45', I would look more towards a 1911 design.

IF you desire something in a 9mm, I would acquire a Browning Hi Power, which model gets your eyes to settle upon, is your choice.

Both designs have been battle-tested over these many years, carried and battered by many different military units, and still, like a Timex watch, "takes a licking, and keeps on ticking".

There are pictures of polymer pistols breaking in manners and means that are downright embarrasing. It MIGHT not happen to you, butr something that should give you years of plinking, target shooting, and if that day arrives -hoping on never - that you will demand it perform in the self-defense role, should not be something that has a "Murphy factor" in favor of breakage.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:55 AM   #9
tjhands

Quote:
IF you desire a '.45', I would look more towards a 1911 design.

IF you desire something in a 9mm, I would acquire a Browning Hi Power, which model gets your eyes to settle upon, is your choice.

Both designs have been battle-tested over these many years, carried and battered by many different military units, and still, like a Timex watch, "takes a licking, and keeps on ticking".

There are pictures of polymer pistols breaking in manners and means that are downright embarrasing. It MIGHT not happen to you, butr something that should give you years of plinking, target shooting, and if that day arrives -hoping on never - that you will demand it perform in the self-defense role, should not be something that has a "Murphy factor" in favor of breakage.
LOL, you can't possibly believe what you just said. Plain nonsense.