The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 07:11 PM   #1
novaDAK

Bullseye vs. Unique for .38spl

I'm getting into reloading, since I have lots of .38 brass saved up now. I have some 2400 (Hercules) left over from my father's days of reloading .44 mag (probably in the 1980s) so after looking at Alliant's website it shows I can use 2400 for loading up some .357mag. I'll have to dig up my father's speer reloading manual from around the time he was really into reloading.

Anyhow, I plan on reloading .38spl, and am not sure whether to use Bullseye or Unique. Alliant's website says Unique can be used for both .38spl and lighter .357mag loads, while Bullseye strictily for .38. I'll probably be using the cast 148gr double ended wadcutters they sell at the local store to start out with.

Thanks.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Bullseye is a good powder for .357 Magnum -- about the same as Unique. Alliant used to have lots of data for it, but they've streamlined their online data. Here's their load data book from a couple of years ago:
http://www.thehighroad.us/attachment...3&d=1216513445

(check out the .357 DEWC load using Bullseye, it's a screamer)
Old December 13, 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
novaDAK

Thanks for the attachment. Looks like I'll go with ---- EDIT: see below

Last edited by novaDAK; December 14, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Casimer

Be sure to establish a regimen for checking your charges. BE is a very fast powder, and its charge weights for a given load tend to be smaller - so it's easier to miss a double charge. The proportion of the case volume that's taken-up by the powder is often too small to confirm by sight.

Unique is more forgiving IMO, and more versatile.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Stumper

Both Bullseye and Unique have applications in virtually every cartridge.....in .38 spl and .357 they are both good powders. Unique will allow for a little higher velocities. Bullseye will make good target loadings with less powder/ better economy.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old December 13, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
joneb

I prefer BE for .38spl but Unique at the upper end works well, for WC I use BE. The problem I have with Unique is that it does not meter well in my powder throw, and at upper end loadings this can be a problem.
Old December 14, 2008, 01:38 AM   #7
novaDAK

thanks everyone. I was talking with my father earlier and he brought up the same point about Bullseye being very fast burning and less forgiving. I'm going to go with Unique this time.
Old December 14, 2008, 01:30 PM   #8
shu

The short answer...(IMO).... Unique and Bullseye will both work. You will be using lower charge weight with the Bullseye, so a pound will yield more reloads. (But should not be the criteria by which you select a powder.)\

The long answer... (IMO, at least, and I haven't seen any one contradict after I've posted my thinking on this subject)...

Smokeless powder burns best, cleanest, most efficiently at higher pressure. Therefore you want the pressure to be up at a good burn level throughout the combustion time - without, of course, exceeding the SAAMI max allowed pressure limit.

Pick the bullet, then pick the desired muzzle velocity, then pick the powder.

Consider the desired muzzle velocity. Slow if you want easy recoil; less than 1000 fps if you are shooting soft lead. Fast if you want that for whatever reason.

Consider the bullet weight. Heavier, more mass, accelerates slower in response to the force (pressure x cross secional area) behind the bullet. Lighter bullet accelerates faster, opening up the combustion area and dropping pressure in the combustion chamber.

Consider the bullet material. Soft lead slides down the barrel. Copper jacket has to be shoved harder. Copper washed, plated, and hardcast lead are in between.

So...

Heavy 158 grain jacketed bullet for a max velocity 357mag boomer load will take a large load of slow burning powder. Bullet accelerates slowly; combustion pressure rises and stays near peak for a many milliseconds as bullet moves down barrel and combustion chamber volume grows. Combustion continues outside the barrel with large trailing flame.

Light 125gr swaged lead bullet for plinking will take a light load of fast burning powder. Combustion pressure builds rapidly; may peak and the burn complete before bullet has moved much; bullet continues out the bore as pressure rapidly drops behind it.

In 38spl (according to Speer #13) there is the additional consideration that with jacketed bullets and the low SAAMI pressure limit of 17,000 psi there is not much room to play with. The minimum power charge needed to be sure the bullet will make it out of the barrel safely is close to the maximum powder charged without exceeding pressure limit.

And, as mentioned above, the 38spl being a cartridge from the black powder days, the 2.7 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye typically suggested for 148gr wad cutter bullets scarcely is a dribble in the bottom of the case. A double charge of powder would be unsafe, but hardly noticeable on visual inspection before seating the bullet.

For this reason many folks like myself favor full wadcutters, which seat deep in the case. Helps ensure the powder will be reasonably close to the primer when it's time to torch it.

Enjoy, and be safe... shu
Old December 14, 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
novaDAK

Thanks for the information! That gives me a good idea of how everything fits together. My father's going to help me get started with my first time here since I'll be using his RCBS press.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:14 PM   #10
cgaengineer

More rounds per pound with Bullseye then Unique...I dont worry about super accuracy with my pistols...I am mostly concerned that they go bang and hit the target. In saying this I use Bullseye...just watch for double charges.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Paul B.

I only shoot my home cast bullets in my handguns. My two favorite loads for the .38 Spl. are 3.0 gr. of Bullseye and 3.0 gr. of W-231 with the 148 wadcutter bullets. Accuracy is good, recoil is mild and they're just plain fun to shoot.
Tha normally accepted load for a 148 gr. WC is 2.7 gr. of Bullseye. My loads shoot just a tad better in my guns so YMMV.
Paul B.
Old December 15, 2008, 12:57 PM   #12
moxie

Bullseye is just the ticket for the 148 gr. bullets. Anywhere from 2.7 to 3.0 grs. of Bullseye will give great results and you can get a lot of loads per pound of powder. As others have said, watch for double charges by eyeballing each and every charge with a flashlight in the loading block, before you move on to seating the bullets. Any differences in charge weight will shoe up. This applies to all powders, not just Bullseye, although Bullseye is most prone to the problem due to the small charges involved.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973