The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1
wgr

r.e.a.l bullets from lee

got a lee mold for the 250grain r.e.a.l bullet thought i would try some of them but cant get them to group the best is about 3in at 50 yards shot them in rifles with 1:48 1:20 1:28 and1:30 twist all theses rifles shoot very well with two grouping at 1.5 in at 100yds i shoot 90 grains of 2f in all of them any coments on this bullet i shoots sabots in 3 off the guns and maxi balls in the 1:48
Old April 2, 2006, 02:03 PM   #2
mec

had better luck with that bullet in a lyman plains pistol

Twist is one in thirty whatever that means

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old April 11, 2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Mike Weber

Interestingly enough I know a fellow who was loading these into .45 Colt Brass and shooting them through his Uberti 1875 Remington clones. This was before we got the PRS big lube bullet molds and the R.E.A.L. bullets were one of the few that carried enough lube to keep the 75 Remmies from locking up with fouling.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old April 11, 2006, 04:19 PM   #4
mec

Billy Fiveshooter has done the same thing with fine results. Hes the guy who later had an old army made up in .50 caliber by Clements.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:23 PM   #5
armedandsafe

I'm getting pretty good results with the REAL bullet in my .50 CVA (1:48.) I haven't had a chance to try them in the Thompson, yet. I'm getting about 2.5 - 3.0 inches at 100 yards.

The main complaint I have is the difficulty in loading. I have to use considerable force to seat the bullet, and, if I am not careful, I can deform the nose of the slug. I could use a harder (than pure lead) alloy, but that would probably be even harder to seat, so I'm not sure I'd gain anything. I'm pouring about 110gr of Pdex RS.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 13, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Wayner

If it don't go in straight it don't come out straight. Clymer sells reamers to ream the lands away at the muzzle so the bullet can go in straight and then be supported as it is driven into the lands of the rifling. The lee improved minnie with the hollow base can be sized to slip in straight(sizing also insures the bullet is "round"). That is important since not all bullet moulds cast a round bullet. If the rifling is deep as in a round ball barrel trouble can insue. Bullets like shallow rifling. A 1-48 rifling twist doesn't always work well with a bullet. Maybe that gun likes the ball and patch.