The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Harmonica

Winchester 94 trapper help

Hi everyone. In my search for a Marlin 1894 cowboy chambered in 45 colt I stumbled upon a winchester model 94 trapper in 45 colt last week instead. I am a winchester fan and already have one pre and one post 64 model 94, so I bought it. I love how it handles, and it shoots equally well. However I miss the old action from my other model 94's. I can live with the rebounding hammer and tang safety. They aren't even close to deal breakers for me. But I would like to know if I can easily convert it to the old half cock action and replace the safety with this: http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1584.htm
I don't want to do anything that isn't reversible. Anyway I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if this is possible and how to do it. I know the crossbow safety can be removed and the old half cock system can be dropped into those rifles. But I am unsure if the 94ae rifles produced from 2004-2006 are just as easy to work on. Thanks in advance!
Old October 1, 2015, 09:46 AM   #2
hoghunting

Welcome to the forum.

The link has a great picture of the sight, and even though the description includes a tang safety, there isn't a picture of what it looks like. I don't have any personal experience with this sight/safety, was hoping I could tell by the picture if it might work.
Old October 2, 2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Harmonica

Thanks for the effort hoghunting. Yeah I mean I'd be fine with the rebounding hammer system being converted to half cock even if I don't get the tang site. But I'd probably need to have someone custom make a small metal tab to fit in there so it's not just a big ugly hole. I might try reposting this in the smithy section and see if I have any more luck there.
Old October 2, 2015, 10:16 PM   #4
roklok

I converted my rebounding hammer .44 Mag Trapper to the old half cock style. It is easy to do, just watch Gunbroker or Ebay for the old parts and swap them in. The only mods needed are to grind the lugs off the lower tang of the older half cock assembly. A few minutes work with a Dremel. I have done this to my fathers .30-30 Ranger as well. Both rifles were rebounding, now have the classic half cock lockwork. The nicest thing about the swap is it gets rid of the LONG pretravel of the rebounding assembly's trigger. Both of our rifles were pre-safety, so I have no experience with the safety delete.

EDIT: I reread your post, I am not sure if the tang safety models are any different, I assume the older parts would swap in but not 100% certain.

Tags
trapper , winchester 1894