The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Would these bullets suit my AR?

Here is a link to an online shop in Germany.

I am this close to ordering a Lyman Gen 6 from them, but may also take the plunge with some .223 bullets.

The question is, could these linked PRVI 62gr BT bullets suit my rifle?

Specs: AR15 Sig M400 Carbine, 1:7 twist that seems not to like 55gr too much.

They are BY FAR the cheapest .223 bullets I have found at €0.11 a piece. If they seem like likely candidates I will get some, but they only come in 500 packs so no 100 box tasters...

Opinions
Old May 1, 2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Jim Watson

They COULD. They are in the diameter and weight/length range suitable for your barrel. Whether they will shoot accurately enough to please is hard to predict.
Old May 1, 2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

I realise they are not the 69gr and above that might suit my barrel best, but I'm hoping that with a bit of playing around with powders and charge weights, as well as COAL, I can improve accuracy a bit.

The best bit is that I could then reload for about €0.30-0.33 a piece excluding the cost of brass as I already have about 1100 once fire brass sitting in a corner.

That beats the current best price of €0.35 per shot I pay for my current batch of 55gr cartridges.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; May 1, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 1, 2015, 02:48 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

62's are used in M855 NATO ammo. Buying 'em on-line will very likely not be a good idea though. Shipping costs will hurt.
Old May 1, 2015, 03:55 PM   #5
the led farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
I realise they are not the 69gr and above that might suit my barrel best, but I'm hoping that with a bit of playing around with powders and charge weights, as well as COAL, I can improve accuracy a bit.

You nailed it here with your own statement. You will improve accuracy MORE than a bit.

BTW did you do the trigger job?
Old May 1, 2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
62's are used in M855 NATO ammo. Buying 'em on-line will very likely not be a good idea though. Shipping costs will hurt.
Shipping is an additional €15, but given that I'd probably be getting a Lyman Gen 6 and perhaps some plated .44s as well, it is not so bad. Given that the 500 bulk pack is affordable, I could buy them by the 1000 in future.

Besides, if I don't buy the automatic thrower, I'm not going to handload .223. It would just take too long for the volumes fired in one sitting.

Quote:
You nailed it here with your own statement. You will improve accuracy MORE than a bit.
That is encouraging!!

Quote:
BTW did you do the trigger job?
Not yet. The jury is out right now. Toying with the idea, but must be very careful about alterations that could make my gun hazardous. So some reading and studying of how my lower actually works before doing any of that!
Old May 1, 2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Fox84

These bullets look like the same hollow base bullets I bought from Bulletheads in Ca. They pattern like 00 buckshot at 100 yds. I bought a 1,000 and very disapointed.
Old May 2, 2015, 01:54 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
These bullets look like the same hollow base bullets I bought from Bulletheads in Ca.
These are from PRVI Partisan (PPU), a Serbian Company. I'm not sure if they are HP, though.
Old May 2, 2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Marco Califo

Quote:
Quote:
These bullets look like the same hollow base bullets I bought from Bulletheads in Ca.
These are from PRVI Partisan (PPU), a Serbian Company. I'm not sure if they are HP, though.
He wrote Hollow Base, not Hollow point. The picture shows hollow base FMJ,
The question is do they stick to a magnet? If yes, they are NATO M855 SS109 armor piercing, which is the NATO 5.56 standard. These are not known as accurate target bullets. If NO, then they are lead core & copper, and should shoot better.

Google PRVI 5.56 62 and you will find shooters experiences. No cannelure means most likely lead core.

If you want accuracy, the Hornady 75 gr HPBT would fit your needs and are relatively cheap (in USA at least). I shoot these in 1:9" twist. As you know, heavier is better in 1:7"

Last edited by Marco Califo; May 2, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old May 2, 2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
He wrote Hollow Base, not Hollow point. The picture shows hollow base FMJ,
The question is do they stick to a magnet? If yes, they are NATO M855 SS109 armor piercing, which is the NATO 5.56 standard. These are not known as accurate target bullets. If NO, then they are lead core & copper, and should shoot better.

If you want accuracy, the Hornady 75 gr HPBT would fit your needs and are relatively cheap (in USA at least).
My mistake on the Hollow status!

Well, I'll have to wait until they arrive. If they do stick with a magnet and are therefore presumably steel-jacketed then they are good for the bin. I don't think I want to send those down my barrel. As I understand it such bullets at AR velocities are not nice to rifling.

Also I doubt those types described are sold to the public, so I expect they are fine. Fingers crossed.

Hornady bullets. I just checked and they don't stock the 75gr. They are all 52gr or 55gr. Those are the same or lighter than the factory stuff I have now which seems ill-suited to my twist rate. Shame that choice is so limited.

Prices are OK, but would still come out as more than the factory ammo. So that and the fact that they are no better matched to my barrel probably makes the Hornady bullets a back-up rather than first choice.

At half the price of the Hornady's I really hope that my punt on the PRVI will pay off. Time will tell.
Old May 2, 2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Marco Califo

Quote:
As I understand it such bullets at AR velocities are not nice to rifling.
Not true. The steel penetrator cone is inside the copper jacket, smaller than the bore and does not wear on the barrel.

Quote:
Also I doubt those types described are sold to the public,
They are, often as military surplus, projectiles and loaded NATO Spec ammo.

It is possible to get a different barrel for an AR. 1:9" twist is great for 50 -75 grn bullets.
Old May 2, 2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
They are, often as military surplus, projectiles and loaded NATO Spec ammo.
Perhaps States-side, but not here. I seriously doubt armour-piercing would never be sold to the public in Europe.

I've looked at the PRVI website and found the bullet and type. There is no mention in the blurb about bi-metal jacket construction and the cut-away cross-section pictures don't seem to show such a construction so I hope that is true.

Quote:
It is possible to get a different barrel for an AR. 1:9" twist is great for 50 -75 grn bullets.
Again, it is a lot harder to change the "as sold" specs of a firearm here. Things like triggers, sights stock: fine, but things like the barrel, which bear the same serial number as the receiver would be subject to strict checks and hoops. Here, particularly, there is no market for replacement barrels. It is cheaper to buy a new gun!!
Old May 3, 2015, 10:03 AM   #13
MadDawg

Move from a lower weight to a heavier weight of bullet; not to mention the improved accuracy that you might also attain; you will also use less powder per round - right ?

Sounds like a win to me. Certainly worth considering.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:23 PM   #14
the led farmer

Would these bullets suit my AR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
... If they do stick with a magnet and are therefore presumably steel-jacketed then they are good for the bin. I don't think I want to send those down my barrel. As I understand it such bullets at AR velocities are not nice to rifling....

If they are steel core ( which they won't be) they are perfectly acceptable for an AR barrel. They were designed for AR's. You'll be fine using them.

Are they they most accurate bullet? Definitely not! Can you still work up a perfectly workable "more accurate" for your rifle load? Definitely yes!

But since they won't be steel core you will be fine.

With every bullet weight/shape/manufacturer you can find workable loads for your rifle that will increase accuracy over factory, some obviously are better than other but it's all usable.