The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

CVA black powder revolvers

Guys,

I have not followed the history of CVA imported revolvers very closely but I have never seen a CVA Revolver with a steel frame.

I know that ASM did a lot of work for CVA and that ASM steel frame revolvers are out there. (I have an Remington with a steel frame)

Does anyone know of a CVA revolver of any pattern and from any origin that was manufactured with a steel frame?

Tnx,
Old March 31, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Doc. CVA sold the following models with steel frames:

Walker
3rd Model Dragoon
1849 Wells Fargo pocket model
1851 Navy
1861 Navy
1851 Navy/1851 Sheriffs model engraved double cased set
1858 Remington Army
1862 Pocket Police

This according to 6th edition Blue Book of Modern BP Arms (2009)

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 31, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

That ties it up with a bow.

Thanks Fingers.

I don't suppose it is possible to know if ASM produced all of those pistols, huh?

Just curious.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Doc, AFAIK, CVA sold Uberti, Euroarms and ASM manufactured revolvers. I've seen Uberti and ASM steel framed '61 Navies. ASM made all of the same models that CVA sold. Only way that I know of to tell who made a specific revolver is to look at it.

bprevolver might be more help on this than I am. He has studied repros for years.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 31, 2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

I am getting it now.

I only CVA revolver I ever owned was the 1863 Remington made by ASM. It was marked with the CVA logo but I do not remember seeing any ASM markings on it. It is gone now so I can't check it.

I have three ASM pistols presently. An 1860 pattern .44 but in brass frame (Some imagination).

An 1858 Remington in .44 and brass frame and an 1858 Remington in .44 and steel frame.

None of them have any other markings (CVA) apart from the ASM and all are great pistols in excellent condition. The 1860 is like new.
Old April 1, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
bprevolver

CVA

Doc,

You can add 1860 Army to the list of steel frame revolvers sold by CVA. There are 23 CVA revolvers in the RPRCA collection. All were made by Armi San Marco.
Old April 1, 2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Thanks BP

My curiosity is a little high because when I began shooting a long time ago about 1974 (There was a long break during which I did not shoot at all) my first rifle was a CVA Kentucky in .45 percussion.

I hated the thing. I thought it was a completely unacceptable compromise just to get something into the marketplace.

It left me with a bad taste in my mouth about all things that had the name CVA on them.

A couple years ago when I got back into the BP way of life I started visiting the stores, and websites and this forum. I have yet to see a photo of any CVA revolver with a steel frame. That does not mean I am disputing that they exist. I know they do, I just have not seen any.

Anyway, I just assumed (wrongly it turns out) that CVAs decision to market only brass frame revolvers fit right in with my previous experience with the Kentucky. You can sell a brass revolver cheaper than a steel revolver so I figured that CVA's market philosophy of some thirty years ago did not change over the years.

I am not saying that everything CVA markets is junk. Far from it. I had a colonial pistol which I liked and I examined a Kentucky pistol which I thought was not too bad. I just thought that they were going for a part of the market that I considered myself not to be part of.

Tnx,

Barry
Old April 3, 2010, 12:22 AM   #8
bedbugbilly

Doc - The '61 Navy I picked up this winter that was made by ASM was made for for CVA. It has a steel frame. If you'd like a picture of it, pm you email to me and I'll send you one. bedbug
Old April 3, 2010, 04:33 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Bedbug

No need to send photo.

How do you like the pistol?
Old April 3, 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
andrewstorm

C v a steele frame

CVA SOLD A KIT OF 1862 POCKET POLICE IN THE 80;S IT WAS 69.00 AT A LOCAL DEPT STORE,36 CAL 25 GR PYRODEX P GOOD SNAKE LOAD,FAST HANDLING GUN,