The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 22, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
iamdb

COF design for my IDPA safety officer class

I will be taking a safety officer class this weekend. We are to design a stage to be used in the next upcoming match. Here is my submission. Feedback welcome.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Last edited by iamdb; May 22, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
iamdb

Well if you guys think it sucks just tell me. I won't cry, i promise
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old May 22, 2012, 08:17 PM   #3
theycallmeingot

my comment was dumb.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
iamdb

what part?
Old May 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
theycallmeingot

i thought the noshoot was the baby, because i didn't read far enough to see that you're carrying the baby.

with my limited IDPA rules knowledge, it looks good to me. i shot a stage recently with the same baby carrying principle. looks like fun.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:54 PM   #6
RickB

It looks fine. One thing about shoot-on-the-move stages, is that if there's nothing to shoot at the far end, there's no real incentive to move; I've seen guys cover all of five feet with five steps. If you had four targets, so the stage is symmetrical, and the outer targets can't be seen until the shooter has moved most of the way across the stage, then there's an incentive to move in both directions.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
g.willikers

Doesn't IDPA want realistic stories to the scenarios?
So, who is the no shoot supposed to be?
The maid, new girl friend?
Make it the new girl friend, which explains why the wife is estranged and mad as hell.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8
iamdb

The barricades are placed to keep shooters from engaging further than 7 yards. They will have to at least get perpendicular to the last target.

The no shoot is just a random pedestrian. The targets behind the no shoot are half hardcover so any no shoot hits, will not count as a shoot through. 1 bad shot on this stage could add 7.5 seconds to your time. 5 seconds for the no shoot and down 2.5 seconds for the hard cover since it's limited vickers.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Don P

My thought is instead of 2 strings is start with 6 rounds loaded go to slide lock reload and continue to finish stage in 1 string. You can have the shooters start opposite side of there strong hand.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:24 AM   #10
iamdb

Thanks Don. I just might take you up on that idea.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Viper225

Looks pretty good to me. It is also Revolver Neutral, another very good point.
Keep up the Good Work on your course designs. It seems to me like lots of match directors are running the round counts up to maximum setting up North Hollywood Bank Robbery Stages. We have always set up all our Defensive Pistol Stages with reloads at 6 rounds. We have no complaints about doing it Revolver Neutral. We normally have a Minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 or 6 revolver shooters in a match.

We had a stage in our last match similar.

Three targets at 10 yards with 2 No Shoots out front.

You are seated in your Living Room with your handgun on the Coffee Table beside you Unloaded. (Slide Forward/Cylinder Closed) Magazine/Speed Loader/Moon Clip) on Table beside the Hand Gun.

You have 2 Drunk Unarmed Girls come in your front door with 3 armed men behind them. At the Buzzer you load and engage all three armed Bad Guys with 2 rounds each. You get up move Left to cover, reloading on the way and reengage with 2 rounds each. From the position of cover the Drunk Girls are 2/3 blocking the view of 2 of the Bad Guys requiring the shots to be close over the shoulder of the Unarmed Girls.

This was a well liked Stage. We will probably do it again in September when it cools down. Due to the 100 deg heat the turnout was a little low for the July Defensive Pistol Match (Outlaw IDPA). August is a Steel Match, so September would be a good time to do it again.
We swap back and forth every month with Steel Challange one month and Outlaw IDPA the next.
Old July 13, 2012, 03:07 PM   #12
RickB

Threat/Non-threat ratio is off; you can't have two non-threats if there are fewer than four threats.
My AC would ask, "If you are taking the time to load your gun, why not use that time to move to cover, too?"
I sometimes think the rules are getting in the way of having a good time, but rules is rules.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:36 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
Threat/Non-threat ratio is off; you can't have two non-threats if there are fewer than four threats.
Old thread and long used if the OP did take the course AND there is only one non threat on his stage description
Old July 17, 2012, 11:01 AM   #14
RickB

I was referring to Viper's post from last Friday. He has three threats and two non-threats; can't have a second NT until you have four threats. In the past, you couldn't have a second NT until you had six threats, but the rules addendum changed that.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Don P

OK. I overlooked his post. Too many rules to start with and now we get to wait for the "new" rule book to come out. Just like I need 2 broken legs on a skiing trip
Old July 17, 2012, 04:10 PM   #16
RickB

Yeah, one "spirit of" rule is often replaced by a dozen specific ones. The nature of competition, unfortunately.
Old July 17, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17
GlenF

I have found that the best scenarios around here start with, "You are walking into your favorite liquor store in North Topeka ... not that there's anything wrong with that, when ..."

Here is a link to that which starts at about 1:50.

Have fun and be safe doing the SO thing.