The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2010, 06:59 AM   #26
philster

I've tried to highlight the track mark I was talking about. The yellow line runs straight up the feed ramp, centered from left to right in the lowest part of the curved surface - which is where I thought the rd should feed. The red line tracks off-center to the right, and doesn't appear to be straight - assuming that this is the wear pattern from the nose of the bullets pushing up the ramp. It ends at the chamber opening at about 7 o'clock position, instead of dead center at 6 o'clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHAMBER_TRACK.JPG (115.2 KB, 30 views)
Old May 18, 2010, 02:20 PM   #27
dksac2

Polishing the feed ramp means just that, polishing. You don't want to remove metal or change angles. You might widen out the width of the ramp a little.
The Hi Point pistols are pretty cheap pistols. If you are using it for self defense, you migh be better off getting a different weapon if you can afford one.
I'm a retired gunsmith and have worked on a lot of high points. Most have feeding problems at least some of the time.
If you can get it to shoot without problems, then you might want to keep it, but it would not be a weapon that I would bet my life on.
You can find 1st or 2nd generation Glock 19's pretty cheap if you look around.
They have very few problems and if they do are easy to fix and parts are pretty low priced. Mags are cheap to buy also. I know that times are tough, so if the High Point is all you can afford, do your best to get it to shoot, otherwise look for something else.
Good luck to you, I hope that you get it fixed.
Be sure to just do one thing at a time and then test fire.You might fix the problem and cause another.

Best Regards, John K
Old May 18, 2010, 11:02 PM   #28
ISC

Send it back to high point and ask them to fix it.

Also, Hi points are magazine fed, not clip fed. The two words are not interchangable. You shoul educate yourself.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:46 AM   #29
howlnmad

ISC,
That was a very helpful input. Where were you at the start of this thread?

howlnmad
Old May 21, 2010, 07:58 AM   #30
philster

ISC - Seeing as how you must know the difference and I do not, why don't you educate me? What's the diff between a magazine and a clip? There's lots of terminology that I'm unsure of, and I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm here for an education. If I knew all the answers, I wouldn't need to post in this forum.

DKSAC2 - I know the Hi-Point C9 is a cheap gun. However, I've read lots of posts from people who have experience with them being extremely reliable once properly broken in and adjusted. And I think I'm getting closer to doing just that with some of the excellent suggestions by Laserspot, along with info I've found on a dedicated Hi-Point forum.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:23 AM   #31
philster

I've disassembled the C9, polished the feed ramp (had some sort of black paint coating) and the face of the breech, started feeding some dummies through it, and made some observations about the magazine.

The feed lips at the top of the mag do appear to be off. Some adjustments appear to have improved the feed. I actually brought the rear together a little to force the back end of the rd down and provide a hair more clearance for the firing pin as the rd moves forward and the pin retracts. I then opened up the lips a little just behind the ball of the rd, and then bent the forward tangs along side the ball in just a little. All of these force the rds to sit more parallel to the top of the mag lips when fully loaded, and as they exit the mag they immediately start angling upwards. This has practically eliminated the rds coming out nose low and jamming into the bottom of the feed ramp.

I also polished the front upper edge of the follower, thinking that maybe it was binding on the inside of the magazine as it rises. After having disassembled the mag, I'd like to polish inside of the front rounded edge running the length of the mag, but I can't figure out what to use to get inside and do a good job. I had used the small felt wheel on my dremel at low RPM with their red polishing compound on the breech and feed ramp, but finished with a regular pencil eraser. Maybe some sort of eraser would be good for this too?

I'm still waiting on my Break-free CLP to arrive, and still need to figure out how to polish the inside of the mag along the rd nose. After that, I'll fully clean/lube/assemble, go to the range, and see what happens. I'm particularly interested in how the JHP rds will feed. I'll also practice using the push/pull grip method to avoid limp-wristing.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:37 AM   #32
LaserSpot

ISC, I think it is time to give up on the clip vs. magazine argument. The difference doesn't matter to most people and they wont use three syllables when they can get by with one. Not many guns use a cartridge clip anymore, so confusion is unlikely.

I know some people have no interest in taking things apart and finding out what makes them tick; ignorance is bliss and that's fine. Some people already know more than they want to and can't be bothered to mess with it anymore; that's fine too. Some people just want it to work and feel that the manufacturer should be held to account for defective products that are under warranty; that's also fine. Personally, I find it interesting to track down the causes of little problems like this just to satisfy curiosity and out of never-admit-defeat stubbornness. When your frustration level exceeds any satisfaction you may get from fixing a problem, it's time to make the call and send it in.

dksac2, you make a good point when you say "Be sure to just do one thing at a time and then test fire. You might fix the problem and cause another." Of course that takes some patience if you can only get to the range on the weekend.

philster, it sounds like you're on the right track. Does the inside of the mag look rough, or could it just have some kind of tacky residue? A light film of CLP should help either way. To polish the inside, maybe you could glue a strip of 320 grit emery cloth around the end of a 3/8" dowel rod or something similar; work it back and forth down the length of the tube. You could follow with extra fine emery paper, but I don't think you really need a mirror finish if the scratches go in the same direction as the bullets.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:44 PM   #33
philster

Seeing as I don't know all of the proper gunsmithing terminology, I'm going to arbitrarily invent some for the different areas of the mag clip lips that I'm talking about. I took some Latin in high school and also have some interest in human anatomy, so here goes. The longer area that covers most of the casing I'm going to call the labia minora (basically means "small lips"), and the smaller tang-like pieces that wrap around the front/ball of the rd the labia majora. The latter roughly translates as "large lips" - but even though this isn't the largest feature of the lip area of the mag, they do stick out in front and I like the vague physical resemblance to the similarly named parts of my wife. Whaddya think about that, ISC?

Laserspot, it's definitely the curiosity factor, independence, and stubborness factor that does it for me. I got started working on the trusty old 1958 Remy 22 that my dad gave me when I couldn't find a gunsmith that could work on it for several weeks. All of the shops I called were backed up due to incredible demand, something to do with scary changes in legislation looming and a guy whose name rhymes with Osama. I also didn't think that the bill was going to be very reasonable for what I figured wasn't that much real work. I bought a take-down manual for $15 on ebay, did the work myself, and enjoyed it. That's the sweetest/most accurate shooting little rifle you'll ever find, and my new Ruger can't even compare. Next thing after putting a PD barrel on my Mossy 500 was I decided that the overly stiff safety was an issue that I could also address. My solutions and pics are/were posted here somewhere, and that turned out great as well. Encouraged, I figured I could beat this feed thing on my little C9 too. Lastly (on this particular subject), God forbid that there may ever come a time when you can't just take your firearm to a gunsmith, or that you may have a critical situation where you just need to do something quick, yourself. There - I'm an old boy scout, and I still just like to be prepared.

Enough of prodding, history and ranting. I don't have my CLP yet, but I'll try the dowel rod and emory cloth wrapping. My gun cleaning kit is in storage somewhere (we're in temporary housing while building a new home), and my working light's not the best at the mom-in-laws. So I'm making do for now with really just a boresnake, my punch set, small hammer, and a piece of 2x8 board with some holes for tapping pins out. From what I can see inside the clip, it either appears a little dirty or dingy, mildly tacky with some sort of residue, or possibly rough. I don't need to make it shine, but I figure that smoothing/cleaning/lubricating this forward surface of the mag has to be an OK idea. I'll also soak/clean and then very lightly coat the spring as well, which seems to have a less-than-smooth patina of something on it now. I'll do this for all three mags, including the polishing for the nose of the follower.

I also agree with the idea of not changing too much at once - this is sound advice for just about anything that you troubleshoot. I'll take my baby channel locks to the range for making slight changes to the mag lips, and won't mess with the other two mags until I've got a working solution for the first one. The range I use is great - really very little more than a large dirt and gravel pit in a state wildlife preservation area. I'm usually the only one driving out there through the rocky creek bed at dawn, spooking a small herd of deer once I get to the empty parking lot. I can get lots of work done, use silhouette targets, and do just about anything I want without coordinating with other shooters or having the supervision of a range marshall. Thanks again for all of the great comments!

Last edited by philster; May 22, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:45 AM   #34
ISC

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster
ISC - Seeing as how you must know the difference and I do not, why don't you educate me? What's the diff between a magazine and a clip? There's lots of terminology that I'm unsure of, and I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm here for an education. If I knew all the answers, I wouldn't need to post in this forum.
Clips don't completely encase the ammunition that they hold. Examples of clips are moon clips for revolvers, stripper clips for Broom handle pistols, SKSs and M16s, and en bloc clips for Garands and mannlicher rifles. Clips usually (but not always) don't stay in the weapon after its loaded.

Magazines or "mags" completely encase the ammunition. Some firearms have fixed magazines, and they are often loaded with clips (especially military firearms). Examples of fixed magazine weapons are most WWII rifles, SKSs, and most shotguns.

Hi point has a very good customer service policy and if you send them back your pistol they will repair it for free and usually include a free spare magazine. You just mail it to them and they mail the repaired pistol back to you.

I hear alot of people use the incorrect terms about firearms. Its usually folks that haven't been shooting long or have only a passing interest in guns. They're typically the same folks that don't have the 4 rules of firearm safety memorized or call any semi auto pistol a "Glock" or "nine", and call any handgun a "Heater", "rod", "piece" or "gat".

They also don't understand that a bullet is the projectile that is fired from a firearm and a cartridge is the round that is loaded in a firearm before you shoot it.

I think I'll start another thread when I get a chance that expands on this info so that I can be abused by a bunch of people who are comfortable in their ignorance.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:36 PM   #35
philster

One of the main reasons that I bought my weapon from Hi-Point was exactly because of the customer service policy. I'm counting on it for big problems, but I just can't see that this is that big of a deal if I can figure it out - and I think I'm close now. But if I send my pistol in, I believe I'm out for the shipping costs and then I don't have a weapon handy in the bedroom for how ever long it takes them to fix it. If I make the first shot count (which works fine every time), then at least I get one while I'm trying to get a hand on my shotty! Plus, I REALLY want to know for myself why this happens. If it's not the pistol (and now I don't have any indication that it is), then I think they'll probably just send a new replacement mag. The mag would probably cost about as much as the shipping. I have no idea if Hi-Point will actually cycle rds through the weapon, either live or dummies to check the feed - but I kind of doubt it.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:35 PM   #36
ISC

I'd start by contacting their customer service number and see what they say. It's better to send the gun out now when there is little or no expectation of needing it than to wait until you need it and be screwed because it won't cycle.

It might be worth your time to do a little networking and make a post here and see if any local members have a hipoint pistol that would like to meet you at the range. You could try shooting your pistol with his mag and vice versa. Have a cup of coffee afterwards, compare notes, and have a contact.

That is how networks are built...
Old May 23, 2010, 04:49 PM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
I hear alot of people use the incorrect terms about firearms. Its usually folks that haven't been shooting long or have only a passing interest in guns.
I've been shooting for close to 50 years. I've heard magazines called clips all my life. It's not a matter of being dumb or uneducated. In some cases it's simply what you grew up around. You can stew and stir and rant all you want they're still going to be called clips so get over it. Don't be so anal.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:09 PM   #38
ISC

There will always be people that call things by the wrong name, but It will never cease to annoy me or think less of someone that doesn't care enough to learn to do things the right way.

It's like the guys at a public range that don't think they have to wait for the range to go hot before they start handling their firearms because they learned poor gun handling shooting in their back yard with their uncle when they were a kid and no one ever corrected them.

It's not anal to correct someone when they call a Shotgun a rifle or a magazine a clip or a muzzle brake a silencer (yep I've heard that one more than a couple times).

I know that I am not the only one that assumes that a person has an inadequete knowledge of firearms when they use incorrect slang terminology to refer to firarms. If one doesn't know what something is called its a lack of knowledge. That's another way to say ignorance, which is easily corrected.

The same thing goes for someone that holds a pistol sideways or pushes the pistol forward in a punching motion every time they pull the trigger. Even if that person is hitting their target I'm going to assume that they don't know what they are doing and I will find another place to shoot, or at a minimum, pay closer attention toi them to make sure that their ignorance doesn't become dangerous.

Ok, so calling a magazine a clip is a less aggregious example than calling a shotgun a rifle, but if someone called your AR 15 a machinegun wouldn't you feel obligated to correct them to inform them that it is a semiauto (I've heard that one alot too). I'm not going to comment about it anymore because I don't want to hijack the thread. I just wanted to take the opportunity to educate, because knowledge is a good thing.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:33 PM   #39
philster

From down south... "Hey, let's go get a coke." "Sure, what kinda coke you want?" "Get me a Dr. Pepper!"

I thought the dowel rod was flimsy and couldn't figure out how to get the emory cloth to stick to it, so I ended up with a flat/thick carpenter's pencil, some superglue gel, and an emory cloth multipack (couldn't find just a sheet of fine grit at HD). I used the coarse cloth to round off the beveled edges along the length of the pencil, cut a strip of the fine cloth to wrap around the now nicely rounded edge, and glued it on. I now have a great sturdy metal polishing stick that worked like a charm to smooth up the inside surfaces of my mags.

If after all the feed ramp, breech face, and mag polishing, cleaning, lubricating, bending, firing, and more bending that I've done so far and have yet to do I can't eliminate the feed probs, I'll call Hi-Point to ask some questions, and then send it in.

I don't think it's too far fetched to consider that our constitutional 2nd ammendment may be eliminated someday by a stroke of a pen (Hillary's?) in order to comply with a screwed-up UN policy. I bet that the Aussies never really thought they'd lose the right to keep and bear arms. At the point we lose ours, anybody that has a CCW, has attended firearms training, been to a repair shop, or posts in a forum just like this may be investigated by the feds to make sure they've turned in their weapons. So if some day you still have what will then be an illegal firearm and need a repair, there won't be a gunsmith in a forum or shop to ask or do the work, or even a manufacturer that you can send your weapon to.

Remember that just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

Last edited by philster; May 24, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:39 PM   #40
Hawg

nm

Last edited by Hawg; May 24, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 05:14 PM   #41
philster

My CLP got lost in the mail or I got scammed by the eBay seller - I'm going to Cabela's tonight to pick up a bottle. What a pain. I guess I should just be happy I live within 25 miles of one.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:54 PM   #42
philster

Cleaned, lubed, ready to re-assemble after the CLP "cures" for two hours - that's what the directions say! With my saved-up Cabelas' points I picked up the 12 oz. spray bottle, a plastic pistol transport case, and a padded scoped rifle case/bag for $13. I probably won't get to the range for over a week, I'm going out of town for a few days.
Old July 5, 2010, 09:34 PM   #43
philster

Whew, I bet that anybody still following this thread thought it was a total waste of time! I got to the range today, and fixed all of my mags. The final solution was based on properly bending the feed lips. I used a pair of mini-channel lock pliers. After getting it right, all of my jams stopped - except for a brief problem on one where the rds jammed upright instead of downward. It was weird because it always happened on about the 6th or 7th rd of an 8 rd mag. I tweaked it a little, and that went away too.

So here's the deal. The longer part of the lips at the flat/back of the mag should be closer together (keeps the base lower, but still catchable as the slide moves forward), and as you move toward the tip of the bullet along the longer lip edge - they should flare out slightly. The small tangs that then reach forward should be just wide enough and contoured to let the rd rise in the mag without touching the bullet. We're talking about very small tolerances here. As the rd is pushed forward, the front of the bullet needs to clear the mag and be pushed up by the spring in time for the nose to hit the feed ramp high enough to continue into the chamber.

As for the latter problem of the rd jamming straight up, I had a little too much outward flare on the lips - so the mag spring flipped the rd up too fast and the nose of the bullet flew up past the chamber opening as the slide moved forward. Bending them back together a smidge solved the prob.

I'm now emptying entire mags without jams, and my PD hollow point ammo feeds perfect as well.

One last thing that I probably should have realized is that keeping all of my mags loaded to max capacity isn't good for the springs. The advice I got was to keep only one mag loaded for home defense, then rotate to a different mag every month to try and save the springs.

Thanks to all who have contributed and to all those who've had the patience to follow the thread. I've had some family illness, travel, and work situations that have kept me from getting to the range sooner. I hope that this helps somebody else find and fix their pistol mag feed and semi-auto jam problems.
Old July 5, 2010, 09:54 PM   #44
Bill DeShivs

Unless the feed ramp is integral with the barrel, leave it alone. HiPoint frames are made of plated zinc. You don't want to polish that!
Old July 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #45
LaserSpot

Glad to hear it's working more reliably!

I wouldn't worry about the springs, it's a myth that they get tired from being left compressed. Spring fatigue happens when they are over-worked, or when they are worked thousands of times. You can measure the free length if you want to verify this.