The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 17, 2001, 03:59 PM   #1
45automan

Hey guys was thinking of getting a Glock 23. I would prefer one with Hi caps but will buy a new one if I can't find a used one with HC mags. Now my thinking is it is a big bore round in a very nice sized package. Also I can use my holsters for my Glock 19 that I already have. How do they shoot? I will be going to the range this week and will try one out for myself. I just wanted to hear from you guys who have shot this gun extensively. Are they accurate? What do HC mags go for,for this gun? I don't so much minf the 10rd mags in this gun though. If you can't stop the threat with 10+1 of any cartridge your probably not gonna make it.
At any rate just wanted some input on this gun. You guys are like the Roman Ceaser to me If you give the thumbs up on a gun I'll buy,if it's thumbs down....
Then I don't buy
I have yet to buy a gun I regret thanks to you guys. Thanks for all your help.
45automan
Old February 17, 2001, 04:07 PM   #2
CastleBravo

I really liked my Glock 23...

It was an absolutely fantastic pistol, extremely accurate and plenty of power in a small, light package. I was a total fool to get rid of mine, but at least it has a good home.

Its only "downside" was the recoil, it felt seriously "snappy" to me but I got used to it. I added a hogue Handall and some Meprolight night sights and that was it. It was literally 100% reliable with everything I could stuff into it. I couldn't recommend another gun more highly for all-around usefulness.

C.B.
Old February 17, 2001, 04:41 PM   #3
Dave T

I think the G23 is probably the ultimate compromise. It is small and light enough to carry concealed most all the time (people who want to carry wearing gym shorts and sleveless undershirts are not serious about going armed). It has good capacity, matching the old Browning High Power with full capacity magazines. It is reasonably powerful (the 40 Auto splits the difference between 9mm and 45ACP). Finally it is controlable for most anyone with the proper training.

To those of you who think it kicks too much, tell that to my 59 year old sister who carries one daily. My wife used to carry a G23 but now carries a G27 as it weighs a little less in her purse.
Old February 17, 2001, 05:22 PM   #4
RWK

A negative opinion

Automan,

You asked, and my report follows. I hate my G23C; by far, it provides the worst >10 yard accuracy of any of my dozen handguns (Colt, Glock, Sigs, H&K USP, Kimber, Springfield, and Ruger and S&W revolvers). In fairness, I am sure most of the inaccuracy is operator -- not weapon -- based. In addition, the G23C has the outstanding quality, durability, reliability and simplicity you expect in every Glock. The problem is the ergonomics and trigger pull/feel, which are poor for me.

To summarize: (a) I agree with your analysis re the G23's size, capacity, and excellence; (b) if you generally like Glocks, you'll find the 23 has the same first-rate attributes; however (c) for me, the ergonomics significantly and adversely impact accuracy, particularly beyond 30 feet.

Regards.
Old February 17, 2001, 05:34 PM   #5
Jeff, CA

Put me in the "for" column. I just got back from a range trip with mine. It's got Trijicons, and I was trying out some recently-acquired (just BEFORE california's ban) standard-capacity magazines. Runs like a sewing machine. Acurracy is better than I am - shooting carefully offhand, I can just about get touching holes at 15 yards.

Drop-free standard-caps are about $100 each, wherever you go. First-generation, non-drop-free run about $75-85. Are they worth it from a "tactical" standpoint? No. Are they worth it for the purpose of defying california lawmakers? Absolutely.

Old February 17, 2001, 05:37 PM   #6
Green Republican

I shot one a few weeks ago for the first time and was shooting holes in holes at 15 yards. It was surprisingly great. Mine's at the dealer right now waiting for its new home.
Old February 17, 2001, 06:31 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

"I think the G23 is probably the ultimate compromise."

Yes! My opinion, as well. Leroy Thompson also thinks so.

I have shot a pop bottle with a single Mullins Ammunition round at 30 yards with my 23. On my hunting trip at Thanksgiving, I shot a deer under the ear at 15 yards. (NOTE: this was a "finishing" shot. The .40 S&W does not provide the power level required by GA law for hunting Whitetail deer.)
Old February 17, 2001, 07:39 PM   #8
7out

I had one, did not like it and got rid of it. I replaced it with a Kahr M40 elite which I like very much. I like the ergonomics of the Kahr,the Glock just never felt right to me.
Old February 17, 2001, 09:06 PM   #9
IanS

G23 All The Way

IMHO, Glocks, and especially the G23 is the ultimate in no nonesense meat and potatoes approach to building a combat pistol. The controls are extremely simple, takedown is a snap, shoots an effective round, and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

If refinement is what you're looking for along the lines of a custom 1911 or even a Sig than a Glock may not be for you. It will feel blocky in you hands, the trigger does need getting used to, other pistols are more accurate, alleged kB! horror stories abound, and there are prettier pistols. But if this purchase is strictly for your defensive needs I think it will find a humble but prominent place in your collection.

Get a set of Meps on it and you're good to go!
Old February 17, 2001, 09:47 PM   #10
rock_jock

Accuracy on my G23 is better than my G17 and as good as my S&W 686. It is a great package.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:04 AM   #11
skevlar

The 23 have shoots great and is accurate but like the 22 better even as a CCW gun. It boiled down to grip to hand fit for the most part.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:15 AM   #12
Quantum Singularity

I completely agree with RWK. The 23 accuracy is by far the worst of all the Glock models I shot (I shot all Glocks but the 32 and 33 in .357 Sig). Other than that, it is a decent pistol (good reliability, excellent durability). But, based on the poor accuracy and ergonomics alone I personally wouldn't buy it. Having said that, if all you need is "combat accuracy", it should work fine..........

MOLON LABE!
Old February 18, 2001, 03:06 AM   #13
10CFR

What DaveT said.

Also:

I bought mine for a defensive handgun and I think it fills the bill very well.

I would also highly recommend night sights. First of all, I don't like the standard sights they come with. Secondly, night sights function just like 'regular' sights in daylight, but give you an unbelievable edge in low light situations. I'd have them on all my handguns if I could afford it.

-10CFR
Old February 18, 2001, 03:54 AM   #14
sig970

I have to agree with a couple of earlier posts. One of the most inaccurate handguns I've ever fired. If you are set on getting a Glock, there are better choices in .40 S&W.
Old February 18, 2001, 07:50 AM   #15
Kingcreek

I'M 4 IT... I bought a 23 the same day Clinton signed the crime bill banning >10 rnd mags. I bought it because I knew I could make an easy $100 on resell or trade. I was prepared to hate it. What's to like about a plastic pistol?
I took it home and shot it- shot it alot. I still have it. It is acurate and totally 100% reliable. It has the older style grip and I added a hogue grip sleeve (only mod). I could now make $200+ over what I paid for it and the 3 13rnd mags but it's not for sale.
Old February 18, 2001, 12:57 PM   #16
Tecolote

Accurate plenty

For me the G23 is as accurate as any Glock I've handled. Maybe I've been lucky. I can't think of a better compact .40 than the G23. Make sure you try one out before buying it.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:30 PM   #17
Badger Arms

My complaint: I owned one for a while but the annoying cutout at the bottom front of the grip kept eating away at my pinky finger. Yes, I have BIG hands. If that is a problem, they seem to have corrected it with the new finger-groved guns which lack that cutout. As far as accuracy goes, that's a non-issue. Mine was just fine. I think you'll find that most here agree with me on that one.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:33 PM   #18
Captain

I think the Glockk 23 is the best carry sidearm on the market. It is compact, powerful, reliable, durable, lightweight and has a good capacity! That's the reason I have one on my hip right now!
Old February 19, 2001, 11:38 AM   #19
JJCook

While I do not think it's the BEST carry weapon on the market, it certainly is a stellar performer to say the least. Although I cannot stand any GLOCK's grip, and no external safety, it performs without any flaws, and is highly accurate. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi-
JJC
Old February 19, 2001, 01:01 PM   #20
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I bought a 23 several weeks ago. It's just the "perfect" size. Small enough for concealed carry. Yet, large enough to have an accessories rail.

HOWEVER, it's accuracy is atrocious! I've sandbagged it and it does not group very well. My G30 owns the 23 in terms of accuracy. I will probably sell it or trade it in towards a G19 or 36.

In short, if you want a carry gun, the 23 is near perfect. If you want a target gun, there are better options.
Old February 19, 2001, 01:06 PM   #21
M1911

It has advantages and disadvantages. Good capacity (especially if you get standard capacity magazines) it a relatively small package. Reliable and simple to operate. The trigger feel is consistent from shot to shot (no transition from DA to SA). The polymer frame makes it fairly light.

Disadvantages include:

- fat grip is doesn't work well for folks with short fingers.
- the gun is relatively thick, making it harder to conceal than a thinner gun, like a Kahr or a small 1911.
- the trigger feel is consistently bad. Ugh. I hate the crunchy, creepy, sproing of the Glock trigger.
- felt recoil is relatively snappy, significantly less comfortable than my Kimber Compact.

You'll have to decide whether it works for you. I'm not terribly thrilled with it.

M1911
Old February 19, 2001, 03:42 PM   #22
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I've owned...

...3 G23's and a G23C. Fine pistols; possibly one of the best all-around packages offered by Glock.

Capacity like a 9, a bore size that starts with "4", small enough to tote, big enough to compete with. Provided you grok the whole Glock thing in general, what's not to like about the G23?
Old February 19, 2001, 04:12 PM   #23
RikWriter

Had and carried a 23 for a while, but I found I was just not as accurate with it as I wanted to be. If it were me, I would go with the 30.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:45 PM   #24
CSOs ROCK

Just look at all the opinions so far...

Do you REALLY need to read any further?
I love my G23 and would never sell it.

I don't know if you're familiar w/ Glocks but don't let anyone scare you about the KaBoom factor. All you need to do is:

1. Make sure you don't get lazy and not clean the gun until you have stuff oozing out of the barrel like some people

2. Use reliable ammo.

Easy as that. 2 simple steps and you'll never have to worry about your gun failing you.

Go for it and you'll never be sorry.
Old February 20, 2001, 02:12 AM   #25
jadams951

Go for it!!!!! The first pistol I carried on duty as an LEO when I first started was a Glock 23. About five thousand rounds through it and I NEVER had a fail to fire, stovepipe, or any problems. I could shoot mine accurately enough to outshoot most of my buds. The one thing I had to do was get a Hogue handle grip. It made the gun, at least to me, alot more comfortable in my hand. Repeated shooting in a short time with just the polymer grip tend to makes my hand a little sore. The recoil is not bad like alot of people say. Heck, my fiancee, who had never shot any firearms in her life, first learned how to shoot with my Glock 23 and she handled it just fine. Although, now she does like my H & K USP's better!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crap, now I'm kicking myself for selling it to my dad. Oh well, I'll use the excuse that my department only lets us qualify with one shotgun, one back-up/off-duty gun, and two on duty guns which are my H & K USP 40 full size and compact and that's why I sold it. Plus, my dad gave me $500 for it too. Hey, I bet I could buy it back from him for less than that!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm wow what a good thinker I am!!!