The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 3, 2016, 05:26 PM   #1
75218ron

38 Special Ruger SP 101 Snub Nose Double Action Only

I have a 38 Special SP 101 snub nose that was one of a batch issued to agents of the State Dept several years ago. This gun is double action only, and has a rounded, grooved hammer and can't be cocked. Do any of you guys have one, and have you ever heard of an SP 101 like this? Actually, I always like a gun that I can cock if I want to....LOL. The double action trigger is pretty difficult to squeeze and stay on target with the 2 1/2" bbl.
Old August 3, 2016, 05:33 PM   #2
dahermit

I saw a double-action only SP101 snubby in a local gun store some years back. I do not know if it was a factory bob job or a custom job, but the gun guru was passing it around to the interested customers to try the trigger...they all seemed suitably impressed so I assumed the D.A. pull was very good. I do not remember any "rounded" hammer, only that the spur was not there. As for a double-action having a heavy trigger, that can easily be fixed.
Old August 3, 2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

I have a pair of DAO Ruger SP101 .357s. Think of them like the S&W Centennial revolvers (which have no exposed hammer.)

And yep, I like 'em!

Deaf
Old August 3, 2016, 05:44 PM   #4
75218ron

This one is marked for .38 Special only, but it seems like it is built the same as the .357/38. This batch was made especially for the State Dept. The rounded, grooved hammer is exposed, but can't be cocked. I believe the hammer is there to keep the gun strapped in, and secured in the holster.
Old August 3, 2016, 05:47 PM   #5
dahermit

It would be nice if you would post some pictures.
Old August 5, 2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Glenn Dee

Snub nosed SP101 marked .38spl DAO revolvers

Some time after the NYPD began authorizing RUGER revolvers as service revolvers, and off duty guns. The NYPD further spec'd that all revolvers purchased after a certain date be configured in DAO. All new smith&wesson, and all ruger revolvers HAD to be DAO. These revolvers may have been available in commercial gun stores, but for the most part they was purchased from the NYPD equipment section. (The NYPD has an FFL)

The move to autoloaders happen kind of sudden like. I'm sure this left a number of revolvers available to some jobber, though I have no idea what happened to them. Maybe the state department took them off their hands.

While the department transitioned to auto-pistols any revolvers still in service were grandfathered in to remain in service. Even though the department had stopped allowing new revolvers as service weapons, they continued to be allowed as off duty guns. Anyone who knows the NYPD knows how big it is, and how many actual gun's they have.

After the transition, one of the authorized pistol's is the Glock 19. As many have pointed out elsewhere the Glock 19 works as well in plain clothes, off duty and in uniform as a service pistol. Many officers (not gun guys) sold off their second guns. This put quite a few S&W model 36, 49, 10's 640's,and the rugers security six's in 2" round butt, and Ruger sp101's.
Old August 19, 2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Dave Chuppa

I have the DAO 357SP101. I normally only carry DAO guns. Dryfire practice will help you learn to stay on tarrget. I can shoot almost as accurate DAO.