The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
southernpride

Pardner Protector Dilemma

Keeping aside the politics about Chinese made products for a moment, what would be some disadvantages of purchasing an H&R Pardner Protector (PP). I have read that this shotgun performs quite well and most people seem to like them. The only downside that might be a possibility is getting it serviced should the need arise (ie. replacement parts, etc).
I had my heart set on purchasing a Remington 870 Police Magnum (model 24901 to be exact) with the beautiful walnut stock, heavy barrel and so on. But for the price of just one of these ($600), I could get 3 Pardner Protectors. They're a PITA to even find for that matter. And I've been reading a lot of reports that quality control has slipped at Remington (could be just internet hype).
I held a PP at my local Dicks Sporting Goods, aside from the shoddy finish, it seemed quite well built. I'd love to hear from PP owners and if anyone has put it through a torture test of some sort, to check it's limits. Thanks in advance.
Old November 14, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Internet hype. The only common problem I am aware of with the less expensive 870 express is the need to polish the chamber with steel wool. Costs under $10.

Look into the availability of replacement barrels for the pardner and try googling "Pardner Protector Problems". I think in guns you generally get what you pay for.
Old November 14, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

I have a PP for HD... Seems built like a tank. I've put 15 flawless rounds thru mine... That's no torture test but I feel good about it.
Old November 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
southernpride

There was a Remington 870 Express (Home Defense version) at the store too. List price was $289 and if I were to purchase it within next few days, then there's a $20 discount. The fit/finish was definitely nicer on the 870 Express. One definite advantage I can see as far as the 870 goes is that there are millions of them out there, so spare parts and servicing will never be a problem.
Old November 14, 2013, 05:05 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

We've had threads on this before... Seems I remember that most of the 870 parts are interchangeable on the PP... It's a near-clone...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...dner+protector
Old November 14, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

Southern, I am careful with money (some say cheap) and we all have responsibilities, but that 870 Express security model is just what I bought three years ago for just about the same money. A few months later I discovered the world of trap and I got a used 28" vent rib barrel from a private party on the internet for $85. I think he advertised it in the want to sell board of Trapshooters.com or the HighRoad. I don't want to knock the H&R Pardner, but if possible I say go for that 870.

I still keep the 870 as my HD gun and for friends to shoot now that my primary gun is a Citori. In fact, I am having $400 worth of mods done to it right now and plan on shooting the 870, sporting its long barrel, this weekend with a group shooting Krieghoff and Perazzi trap guns.
Old November 14, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
southernpride

Thanks for all the replies.......damn, I wish that Police magnum wasn't so freaking expensive, LOL! Not to mention, hard as hell to find.
Old November 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

Google AI&P Tactical and check out the guns he builds for police. He likes, as do some other gun builders, to start with the Reminton 870 Express and not the police model, and then swaps a few parts and gives it a better parkerization then comes on the police from Remington. Somewhere he recommends that if you can't afford to start out with one of his builds, just buy an express like the one you looked at. Later you can easily swap a few and/or send it to JD to be parkerized.

Inn particular read this page of his web site. http://www.aiptactical.com/Build_Your_Weapon.html

The model he says to get if you have a budget is what I have and I believe you have been looking at.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 14, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
semi_problomatic

You do realize remington does the warrenty service for H&R and NEF, right? You have a problem with your handi rifle, who do you send it to?

Yeesh....

There is no advantage in an 870 over a pardner. Quite a few disadvantages though.

By all means, google pardner protector problems. Watch how many times 870 pops up as having problems. Then google 870 problems.

If you get what you pay for, why does the 870 have so many problems and made with lesser parts than the PP which cost $100 less?

Last edited by semi_problomatic; November 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Virginian

The newer Expresses I have seen seem to have a significantly better level of finish than those of a few years ago.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

"There is no advantage in an 870 over a pardner?" And I thought I was a dreamer.

So the holding company that owns Remington also imports less expensive guns to go after the low end of the market and Remington services them. So what? If warranty work was done on a Toyota by the local Lexus dealer it would still be a Toyota.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
semi_problomatic

As far as a torture test, what did you have in mind? Pouring handfuls of sand in the action and leaving it in the pond for 3 days?

I've put 100's of rounds through mine with no ftfeed, ftextract, or ftfire. I've shot cheap walmat win, boxes of that military 00, pdx1 rounds, slugs... Never a hitch. I leave it in my trunk for days, let family borrow it, practice gunsmithing on it....still fires ever time. I did induce a ftfeed problem with a bad bit of dremmeling on the lifter. Bit of polishing fixed that.

I never had to polish my bore, I don't have to upgrade cheaper parts that come in the 870, and it cost under $200...
Old November 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
semi_problomatic

Dreaming, go polish that 870 bore some more, upgrade you extractor, replace that plastic trigger guard (to have the same reliability as a cheaper gun) and enjoy the extra barrel clamps on your magtube extender, paying $100 more for...a name? Sure aint qc, while I enjoy my toyota. What 4x4 is so sought after by hardcore off roaders...isn't it a toyota? Sure aint a lexus...
Old November 14, 2013, 10:54 PM   #14
southernpride

Does anyone know what sort of warranty the 870 Express has. If I am correct, the Pardner Pump only has a 1 year warranty (would be nice if it was more than just a year). I think I remember reading somewhere that the standard Mossberg 500 has a 10 year warranty.

I would think a well made gun would have a longer warranty (at least 5-10 years). Once a warranty expires repair work can be pricey.

Thanks for that link Dreaming.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Onward Allusion

The Pardner Protector is a clone of the 870 but with heavier steel. Almost all parts are interchangeable except for the barrel. Remington, H&R, NEF, Marlin - same dang company. Warranty work in the States would be performed by the same people. BTW, the 870 Expresses I've seen had LAMINATED furniture or black synthetic. The Pardner Protector has black synthetic.

The Pardner Pump with the 28" vented barrel has WALNUT furniture. It's a nice gun for beginning trap. The 18.5" barrel from the Pardner Protector also fits the Pardner Pump and vice versa.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:59 PM   #16
southernpride

Semi.......I was wondering if anyone has taken a PP to an intense shotgun training course ( I guess that's sort of a torture test ). But yeah, dropping it in the mud/sand, etc and seeing if it still performs would be nice to know.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:00 PM   #17
semi_problomatic

Remington 870's have a whopping 2 year warranty....
Old November 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #18
southernpride

OK, thanks for clearing that up.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:09 AM   #19
Dreaming100Straight

Thanks for the giggle, SP. You basically treat your Pardner like trash and admit to a feeding problem. Of course you know that polymer trigger guards are preferred by some 870 armorers. I said something about this before, but for which gun is it easiest to get accessory barrels? 870 barrels will not fit a Pardner and you can only get barrels from H&R if your receiver is sent in for inspection and barrels are fitted to it. It's easy to get barrels for an 870. Even Mossberg manufactures 870 barrels and there are plenty of used 870 barrels available. How easy is it to find a used barrel for a Pardner?
Old November 15, 2013, 08:02 AM   #20
gaseousclay

Quote:
I think in guns you generally get what you pay for.
agreed. I've never understood the idea of buying something on a budget. If something is cheap it usually means it was made cheaply. I'd rather just save my money and increase my budget to get something of nicer quality
Old November 15, 2013, 08:39 AM   #21
semi_problomatic

Wow dreaming, is this some form of denial? Some "870" armor's prefer plastic parts? I dremeled my feed ramp and induced a feeding issue that was fixed before I left the bench You make me laugh as you giggle and make stuff up.

And you're right, finding used barrels sure is tough. I mean, where is that used barrel market at? Looks like I may just have to buy my barrels new....
http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

Notice to price.

And yes, it's a cheap gun, I treat it like crap... So what? Thats why I bought it.

Last edited by semi_problomatic; November 15, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old November 15, 2013, 10:30 AM   #22
southernpride

I don't want this thread to turn argumentative, in fact everyone has made good points (both for and against a PP). I appreciate the advice.

Basically I wanted a shotgun that I can hand down to my kids and that will stay in the family for decades. That's why I really like the Police 870 magnum. I look at it as an investment. It's just that I am very tempted to get a PP, it seems like a decent gun, my concern is will it last. I'm new to all this so I thought I'd ask. On top of all this, the Waldo World employee told me the PP will wear down if used intensely, so again that's why I wanted to hear from some PP owners.

The local Mom and Pop gun store who can get me the Police Magnum gets their stuff from Davidson's. From what I was told (and after visiting Davidson's website) it looks like they have a very good lifetime warranty for the the stuff they sell. I would like to buy American, preferably, but if I go Chinese my concern was the servicing and longevity of the product.

Heck, maybe I should just get a Mossberg, LOL!
Old November 15, 2013, 11:10 AM   #23
SoilworK777

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response
Old November 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Onward Allusion

The OP is not a troll.

If the OP wants something that can be handed down for generations, I'd would recommend a Winchester 1300 - NEW... yes, you can still find 'em. Not the run of the mill 870 nor an inexpensive Hawk, Maverick, or Pardner.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Noreaster

I'm issued a Rem 870 Police Mag at work. I have a PP for HD. I've had so many problems with the 870s heating up during quals and sticking that I take my PP to instructor recerts because it's been flawless. The Pardner has worked great for me.
Closed Thread