The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
delsol

Cheep ammo question?

I took my 22lr pistols to the range today & had a problem with the cheap ammo I purchase. It seemed that the bullet part was larger than the casings. My semi auto would jam using them and in my revolver they would work but they were hard to load, like they were a bit to large. Now my question, would it hurt to file the bullet part just a tad on a few shells to see if it help?
Del
Old March 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
nanewt02

Haven't heard of cheap ammo in a while, manufacturers take very large precautions in quality control to avoid lawsuits , my guess would be corrosion on the lead or more than likely the guns need a good cleaning
Old March 15, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

I don't know what you have, I've never seen .22 Long Rifle rounds that had more bullet than case. You mean the bullets were LONGER than the cases?
Or are you saying the bullets had a larger diameter than the cases?
What are you talking about?
Brand, box markings?

If you have to file on anything, you're doing something very wrong.
Denis
Old March 16, 2013, 12:34 AM   #4
delsol

The ammo I'm talking about is the Winchester 36 gr. hollow point I bought at Walmart a few weeks back. The gun is a brand new S&W M&P 22 semi auto. I first shot 50 rounds of the cci mini mags & 50 rounds of federals with no trouble then I started to try the Winchesters and on the second shot the casing jammed I clear that out then the next shot the bullet lodged in the chamber and I had to get a rod through the barrel to clear it.. I admit I'm new to shooting so if I'm not explaining myself clear I apologize.
All I know is that the Winchester rounds seem to fix tight in the chamber in both the M&P and my Ruger single six revolver. Any help would be appreciated!
Del
Old March 16, 2013, 01:03 AM   #5
thinktwice

All of my 22 autos pistols & rifles alike will not shoot the cheap R/N or H/P ammo without some kind of malfunction. I am talking about the 500 round economy boxes. However when shooting quality ammo like CCI and others of t of quality they shoot 100%. That's just mine. You other guys might just have better luck or better firearms. Mine are Ruger 10/22 Ruger Mark111, Remington, and Beretta. Of course the revolvers and lever action rifles shoot the cheap stuff just fine, but the accuracy is not even close to the "good stuff"
Old March 16, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Again- if you have to file on any bullet, you're doing something wrong.
From there, I still don't know WHICH Winchester load you're having problems with.

I've used a couple Winchester bulk loads in two semi-auto pistols in the past two years, both had squarish bullet noses that caused the occasional feeding problem.

If the one single Winchester load you refer to is not working for you, and it's the only one you've tried that isn't, your solution is quite obvious.
Stop using it.

Give it away or throw it away & stick to what does work.
Rimfire guns are notoriously picky about ammunition, just don't use stuff that doesn't function well.
Denis
Old March 16, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
delsol

Denis,
They are Winchester 333 22lr 36gr 1280fps hp copper plated. But I agree with you that if they don't work don't use them. I guess I was hoping that someone might have had the same problem & there was away of fixing them. With it hard to fine 22lr now a days and having a new semi auto plus having 3 boxes of the Winchesters I was trying to fine away to use them.
They do work in my revolver so I'll just keep them for that.
Del
Old March 16, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

There you go.
Problem solved.

You pretty much have to go through that with any .22 rimfire gun & load to find out what works & what doesn't. Not at all unusual to find a given load will function perfectly with one pistol & choke an identical pistol.

Some people have reported problems with Winchester bulk recently.

You may have a slightly tighter chamber in your semi than those in your revolver & the Winchester load may have a fractionally larger diameter than other brands.
You can spend all day filing lead off your remaining rounds to make them fit the pistol better, but I'd think you'd have better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.
I certainly would.
Denis
Old March 16, 2013, 09:05 PM   #9
delsol

What I did today was go through a box of the Winchesters & the ones that fix in the cylinder of my Ruger single six I set a side to see if they would work in my S&W semi auto. So far 3 quarters of the box worked out fine. Now I'll have to take them to the range to see if they work.
Now I wish I could fine more of the CCI'S.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:23 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

Keep looking, they'll show up sooner or later.
Denis