The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Dolsak

10/22 Full-auto Conversion

First off, as of now this is all speculative and hypothetical.
With that in mind, here goes.

I've seen several manuals for altering a Ruger 10/22 to have fully-automatic firing capabilities. It seems like with the right tools, some patience, and attention to detail, it would be simple enough to do in a (well-stocked) home workshop.

My question is this:
Is there a way to do this legally?
Is there paperwork that can be filed in order to carry out such a conversion for personal use, (Not to sell).

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand all the laws, rules, and regulations surrounding the NFA and other similar restrictions, I'm just curious to know if I'll be able to build my self a fun-gun sometime down the line, without having to worry about men in black tactical gear breaking down my door.

As always, I eagerly await answers/discussions.
~Dolsak

(P.S., I wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this post in, but since it involves some gunsmithing, I'm hoping someone here has maybe had some experience doing what I've asked about)
Old June 11, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Coach Z

Absolutely no way to do this legally!

For your own safety and sanity I would forget that you ever posted the question and move on.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
darkroommike

What he said!

Coach said it all. It basically breaks down like this. With the right license (which you do not have or you would already know the answer to your Q) you can restore a de-militarized full auto weapon or reconvert to full auto a weapon that was modified to fire only as semi-auto (using the original receiver), but there are a lot of restrictions and gotcha's. What you cannot do is remanufacture a new or used semi-auto weapon to fire full auto or build a new full auto weapon for private use.

Example: if you had a vintage Thompson receiver even if cut into pieces(!) you could weld it back together and add all the parts needed to build a Model 1928 (or whatever). You could even take parts from two receivers and weld the pieces back into one receiver. All this assuming you have the correct license and have filed all the paperwork. BATF says the receiver is the GUN.

You cannot buy a parts kit and legally make a new full auto receiver, again since the receiver is the GUN.

I am not a lawyer and this is only my understanding of the way things are laid out from my own reading on the subject. Before I ever undertook such a project I would want to be in correspondence with someone that does this for a living, a lawyer that specializes in such issues and the BATF.

Anyone that still wants to do this, without a lot more research is taking a huge chance.
Old June 13, 2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Dolsak

Thanks

Alright, I think I can consider my questions thoroughly and decisively answered.
Home trigger job is a no-no, black helicopters and such.

Just another one to throw on the 'if I ever become a federally-licensed gunsmith' pile I suppose.

Thanks once again for the information.
Old June 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you have a manufacturer's license you can manufacture a full auto weapon, regardless of whether you start with a semi-auto, weld together parts or start with a block of steel. But you cannot sell the result to an individual; only to another manufacturer, a Class 3 dealer, or a government agency.

Jim
Old June 13, 2012, 08:48 PM   #6
egor20

Not fully auto per-see.....

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...x?a=862723&e=Y

But its cheaper than going to prison.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand