The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2012, 01:40 PM   #26
Jerry45

For those interested.

I let the wife look through the NF. She's used to the Osprey on her .223. I almost had to pry the rifle away from her. She was looking for squirrels in a tree 135 yards out. I wonder if she could have made a head shot.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:23 PM   #27
animal

Never woulda figured JB weld would end up lookin like that !

pretty … in a wicked sort of way. Not PC, that’s for sure
Old May 24, 2012, 10:27 AM   #28
Jerry45

A little mixing, a little molding and a little paint and there' no end to what can be done with JB Weld. BUT WAIT! If you call right now you'll get a free cup holder. Just pay separate shipping hand handling.

I never was, never will be PC. I don't know how pretty it is but it sure is Tac Te I'm headed out the range now to see how cool it shoots.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:18 PM   #29
animal

would you admit it ... if she shot better in the wood stock?

I can't really say much, I've got a 700 in a kevlar stock
Old May 24, 2012, 10:13 PM   #30
Jerry45

Well I wouldn't have thought I would have to admit it BUT today she DID. She with her .223 outshout me with the new stock and scope on the 06. Actually I shot the .223 almost as well she did and better than I did with the 06. It was HOTTTT!!!! The 06 heated up really quickly and never did really get a chance cool down. The 223 has a Bull barrel and will shoot all day long without heating up.

I have the scope on the 06 close to zero but have to check it again with a cold barrel. It always starts moving down and left as it heats up. It will shot one 1/2" high 1" right then three dead center then it starts moving lower and more left until it is shooting 2" low and 1" left and will continue to shoot there. I usually zero it for the three shot group. Then I hold low left for the first shot and can usually get a nice five shot group. Then it goes in the rack while I play with other toys for 1/2 hour. Today it was hot hot hot. Just before I left I was shooting 1/2" size pieces of clay pigeons off the berm by dialed the scope up 2" over 1 1/4". I put the last shot before I left dead center between the eyes of a silhouette at 100. I'm pretty sure I'll get the hang of the new setup fairly quickly.

Now all I need to do is find an old beater Remington long action rifle for a couple hundred bucks so I can send the action out to be tuned and re-barreled.

Last edited by Jerry45; May 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old June 3, 2012, 02:18 AM   #31
Gunn Smithy

Quote:
I looked at ACRAGLAS GEL on Brownell’s.
I use the standard Acraglas shop kit which comes with fiberglass flocking to thicken and strengthen as you see fit. I prefer the standard Acraglas as you can make up what ever viscosity you need to do the job at hand. Smithy.