The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1
GSG9

Duracoating a Glock?

So I have read many reviews on duracoating on this site alone and also googled a good bit to get my questions answered. One Q remains about duracoating that i cant seem to get answered anywhere else.

I proudly own a glock 19, 4th gen. The innovative frame of a 4th gen glock looks much different than 3rd gens as it has a more flatte mat color to it. I am wondering if you can duracoat the frame of the glock without having to lose the feel of the plastic itself. The 4th generation polymer frame feels nice in the hand and don't want to ruin it with a layer of paint i can feel in the grip of my hand.

If there is someone who has knowledge on the issue and or own a firearm that they got duracoated i would like to hear from you

ALSO: While I'm here will duracoating void the glocks LT warranty? I'm sure i may never have problems with a glock but convenient for FYI

Last edited by GSG9; November 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I'm just curious, but why would you duracoat the polymer frame anyway if you currently like the way it feels under hand?
Old November 7, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Stressfire

Run down to AutoZone and grab a can of undercoating?
Old November 7, 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
lesgeaux

This is just sick

Come on guy duracoat is for metal protection, if you want the plastic another color go for Fusion paint by Krylon, geez
Old November 7, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
HKFan9

Generally if you paint a gun... it will be harder to resell it.. along with probably hurting the resale value... Plus the paint will wear and chip off.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Yankee Doodle

"Proudly" owning a Glock is like "proudly" owning a brick. The thing is designed to be used as is. If you didn't like it as is, why did you buy it in the first place?
Leave it alone, and get used to the fact thet it is one ugly hunk of tupperware.
It will do the job if you need it, but there is really nothing to be proud of.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7
C0untZer0

You'll get better answers at Glock.com where there are dozens of other people like you.

There is an entire thread of pictures of Duracoated Glocks... multiple threads on the subject

Quote:
"Proudly" owning a Glock is like "proudly" owning a brick.
I think of my Glocks more like shovels...
Old November 8, 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Don P

Duracoat is a metal protector, like chrome, parkerizing, nickel, bluing. Why would you want to rust proof plastic??????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:46 PM   #9
AustinTX

Good Lord, why?
Old November 8, 2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

If you want to paint the plastic, brownells sells a coating designed for all firearm parts and it's only like $15/bottle. It's real easy to use and it's worked well when I've used it...
Old November 9, 2011, 12:40 AM   #11
TxFlyFish

With the way prices are going for OD 3rd gen glocks I can understand why some want to change the frame color.

Come on guys, name a polymer 2x4 thats as beautiful as a glock. Thats right!
Old November 9, 2011, 06:26 AM   #12
treg

But, a Glock is more durable than Duracoat............
Old November 10, 2011, 11:04 AM   #13
new_scopeshooter

wow. people need to read about duracoat befor they say it is only for metal.
duracoat can be sprayed on all firearm surf.... i have been duracoating for years.. never have had a problem with it flakeing off of plastic. the thing is that you have to make sure u prep the item befor you spray..

go to www.lauerweaponry.com
Old November 10, 2011, 11:47 AM   #14
GSG9

I'm wanting to duracoat it because i simply like the olive green color that glock unfortunately discontinued. Im not worried about re sale value because i dont want to sell it. Ive owned it for a year and im going to personalize it a little bit. Don't get me wrong, The 19 4gen. was a smart buy and i love it more than my other 2 handguns.
However, as i said in the very first thread, if a duracoat layer ruins the feel of the frame, then i dont think it would be worth it. Need any more of a reason why i want to paint a gun?

Last edited by GSG9; November 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:53 AM   #15
GSG9

Quote:
Duracoat is a metal protector, like chrome, parkerizing, nickel, bluing. Why would you want to rust proof plastic??????
Because the term "duracoat" stands for a durable paint, not just for protecting metal apparently. I havent been to a gun store yet where someone told me that duracoating is only a rust protectant for metal

Last edited by GSG9; November 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16
GSG9

Quote:
If you want to paint the plastic, brownells sells a coating designed for all firearm parts and it's only like $15/bottle. It's real easy to use and it's worked well when I've used it...
hahaha I dunno bro, I'm thinking of getting a professional to do it Im might screw it all up
I actualy met someone in my area recently who does this coating business in his house, i heard from many people he does a real good job, priced me only $60 for the job. He actually told me that doing only 1 color of coating will hardly make a difference in the feel on the gun, however, it is when you want a 2 tone, multiple colored paint jobs when you do feel the paint coating in your hand. The reason is simply needing many coats of paint to color the gun. This applies to anyone who wants, woodland, ACU and MARPAT.
Old November 10, 2011, 01:47 PM   #17
meatgrinder42

Wow people, a guy puts his first thread up and you guys open up on him... Because it would just be ridiculous to answer his question civilly instead of bashing him and his firearm.

Duracoat can be used on plastic as well as metal. Scuff the surface like you would, and apply the Duracoat. It shouldn't ruin how it feels in your hand. See if your smith has a firearm that is duracoated and handle it and make sure you like it.

There is nothing wrong with customizing your weapon. I have a two tone 1911A1 clone I did myself and I love it. The die hard A1 guys hate it but it isn't their gun, they didn't pay for it, and they know where they can shove their opinions.
Old November 10, 2011, 01:56 PM   #18
Don P

Quote:
Because the term "duracoat" stands for a durable paint, not just for protecting metal apparently.
Really, I would have never known that. Krylon should work.
Why are you thinking that a coating of a few thousandths on an inch would change the feel of the gun?

If it were that thick it would hamper the operation of the slide. A thin durable finish.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; November 10, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:38 PM   #19
new_scopeshooter

do not use krylon.... there is no cemical in spray paint that will make it cure.. it only cures through air drying. so there for the finish will not be has hard or durable as duracoat or gunkote.... I have been painting for the last 20 years. there is a reason quality paint as a hardner or activator to make it cure.
Old November 10, 2011, 03:13 PM   #20
divil

Not sure if this will help but it's worth a look:

DuraCoat Firearm Finishing Intro by Nutnfancy

This guy Duracoats everything. He would probably Duracoat his only son if he would hold still long enough.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:16 PM   #21
hpg

I would absolutely make sure it will stick to polymer before I coated that frame.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:46 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

Make your Glock rock...

I agree with the Glock models not needing a lot of after market add-ons & custom work.
If you still want to jazz it up, see; www.robarguns.com www.apwcogan.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockbooks.com www.glockstore.com .

The Cerakote looks decent. NP3+ in a "Norton Special" may help too.
Predator Custom & Bowie Tactical(David Bowie of Ohio) are known for Glock services.

ClydeFrog
Old November 24, 2011, 01:50 PM   #23
Joken

Duracoat will be fine on polymer. Typically it will be degreased and lightly blasted before application.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:16 PM   #24
dauriajay

Of course Duracoat the Glock.

I duracoated my Glock 19 Gen 4 a few months ago and it made hardly any change on the feel of the Grip. If you feel like you dont like the feeling, Then go right ahead and buy a $12 Pachmayr Grip and slap it on.. The pachmayr grip is has a wonderful feeling. Go right ahead and Duracoat it. Duracoat gives your glock personality.