The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 20, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1
bluewave

Stevens Over & Under 22/410

I am a new member to The Firing Line and need help with a Stevens O/U 22/410 that I have received from my dad. I've read the information from a 2006 thread but I have not found anything related to my gun which has a "plastic" stock and fore end and a opening on the right side of the receiver indicating that the gun had a selector switch which is clearly gone. The hammer does have what seems to be a selector so I'm thinking the gun has been retrofitted. I put a spent 22 shell in the receiver and the firing pin left barely a mark so I'm guessing the firing pins are worn or the springs are worn out. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've shopped gun shows for several years for a 22/410 O/U and now that I have one I'd sure like to make it servicable. Thanks for any help.
Old April 20, 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
PetahW

The stocks are called "Tenite", and you are correct about the selector being refitted to a later hammer with the pivoting nose, which is the only part that Savage would supply to replace the easily-broken selector arm.

The selector arm was like a revolver's transfer bar, with a vertical leg running downward from the FP area to the lower part of the receiver where it turned 90-degrees through the receiver wall, to rest inside the selector button.

The old style selectors broke at the 90-degree turn, falling free somewhere unknown, along with the button, in most cases.

Original replacement parts are available online - see the Savage 24 forum.

Light FP strikes could be gunk built up inside the FP recess' - often remedied via disassembly/cleaning.

FWIW, I have two .22/.410's - a 1951 Savage 24B Walnut and a ca.1939 Stevens 22-410 Tenite - and use them both quite often.

Last edited by PetahW; April 21, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:08 AM   #3
bluewave

I appreciate your help and the photo. I will clean the firing pins and see if that helps. I can't imagine that the FP's are worn out but the hammer does seem weak. Thanks again. Your two rifles are in excellent condition.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
publius

little off topic. I've got one being parkerized right now, i've never shot it. How hard is it to wingshoot with the rear sight in the way?
Old April 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
PetahW

I look at the target (bird/whatever) ILO the sights - which are only used for more deliberate shooting/shots.

YMMV, of course.

Old April 25, 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That selector, as noted, is like a transfer bar. But with the button gone, the selector is just flopping around in there with nothing to keep it in place to fire either barrel, which is why the gun won't fire. I believe PetahW is correct and the selector type hammer will replace the selector and selector button with no other change. Of course, you will still have the hole in the receiver.

Jim
Old April 29, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7
robroy15

Savage-Stevens 22-410

Nope! You guys are on the wrong track. When an early gun is converted, not only must the hammer be converted, but the firing pins must be also be converted to the later type.

I have an old Stevens (1938-1948), so I know about this