View Poll Results: Gunvault - yea or nay
Have one. Would recommend 18 81.82%
Have (or had) one. They Suck 1 4.55%
Have (or had) one. They're ok, but... 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
EastSideRich

Gunvault; yea or nay

I've been considering getting one to keep a pistol at the ready, but out of the reach of little hands. I have seen a couple of threads on here where people have have had the little cable that opens the lock break.
I'm guessing there's a ton of people on here who have them.
I'm hoping to get a feel for the frequency of these problems, as well as any others that they have.
I should mention I'm thinking about the push-button type; not the biometric one.

What the heck, lets make it a poll as well.
Feel free to elaborate.

Last edited by EastSideRich; February 7, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 7, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
ReadyOnTheRight

It's a temporary deterrant that will keep honest people and non-trouble-maker kids from getting to your pistols.

There are a few well-known ways to get into one. A crowbar would probably easily open it.

Regardless, I voted yes. It serves its purpose well enough. It's best to also keep in out of sight.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old February 7, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
DBotkin

I'm glad I have mine - and we don't have any little kids in the house any more. The way I look at it, at the very least it means someone has to actually put some conscious thought into getting at the gun. That can't be a bad thing when you keep a gun close to where you sleep. Otherwise the next time the damn dog stuffs his cold, wet nose in my face (or worse) at 5 AM on a Saturday, there could be trouble.
Old February 8, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
beachbum

I've had one for about four years, and never had a problem. I have the larger model with the shelf inside for 2 guns. Be sure to use the mounting plate to securely fasten it to the floor, etc.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5
The Great Mahoo

I have a stack-on quick access safe, but its the same idea. A quick 4-10 button code and the door swings open. Its got two shelves inside, plenty of space (I have 2 pistols and other things in mine) and was cheaper than the Gun Vault.

I reccomend the Gun Vault for its purpose. It keeps your gun safe from casual problems, but anyone with determination can get in. Sure beats the sock drawer!

But does it have to be the Gun-Vault name brand? I don't think so. I am very happy with mine.
Old February 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have the push button (non-biometric) type. The only negative I can see is that the assembly inside is pretty cheesy, the foam padding and such. Also, if you own a Glock, or other handgun without an external safety, you have to be a little careful putting the gun in the safe because the latch sticks up when the door is open and I could see someone snagging the trigger on it.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
antsi

Mine had to be replaced because it quit working. The company was nice about it though.

The power cord seems to be basically useless. If the batteries go bad, it won't operate reliably on the power cord.

It obviously will not keep out a determined thief. However it is an effective way to keep a loaded gun accessible to you but not to kids.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:06 PM   #8
NYPD13

I've got the biggest safe Gunvault makes, uses the same concept as the smaller pistol safes. Quick access yet secure storage. Love my vault.
Old February 14, 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
ElectricHellfire

Ive had one for about 2 years ( I have small kids). Ive had zero problems but I keep mine plugged in rather than relying on the battery just in case.
Old February 20, 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
jg0001

I just picked up the GunVault 2000 Deluxe. For what it costs, it gets the job done. It should strictly be considered a method of safety from kids and the like and not at all an anti-theft device. Even if you screwed it down, it would simply be far too easy to jam a screwdriver in the crack and pry it open.

FYI: I bought mine at natchezss.com -- they had the GV2000 Deluxe for $109.99, which was FAR cheaper than anywhere else, including cabelas.com (which lists it at $169.99). It showed up well packed and factory sealed.

I've only used it for a short period, but I did remove the shelf (it just slides out) so that I can easily access the contents as I keep the safe vertical next to the bed.
Old February 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Syntax360

I have one - terrible quality, atrocious customer service. You're really rolling the dice if you are counting on your GunVault to open when you need it most...

Expect this eventually, and their customer service will NOT have your back:

FULL THREAD if you are interested.