The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
tug

gonna buy a reloader kit

I'm a total newbie to reloading so all information is new and alot of opinions some means zip to me as they are too advanced and I'm starting from . I've read the intro at the top of this forum and a number of threads about the reloaders. So I understand that the Lee Classic Turret press and kit would be the best one to start with. The only hesitations I have are the remarks about the amount of plastic parts , the uncomfortable hand griping and is it made in the U.S.A. very important aspect to me. I am going to look around online to see what they look like the Lee, Rockcrusher, and a few others mentioned in this forum. Am I on the right track for a starting point for my purchase of a press. I want to be able to reload pistol and rifle rounds and not need to upgrade too soon. It's for range rounds and when I get confident I'll also do hunting loads, etc.
Old October 25, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
totalloser

A wonderful press. I use mine almost solely for handling goof ups, swaging pockets etc, (I roll on a progressive) but it's a great little press. I'd say you are basically on the right track, but really the number one is a couple books. ABC's of Reloading is supposed to be good, and I pretty much learned from scratch from Lee's modern reloading. Try not to retch at their shameless promotion of their products, though. Even if merited, it's still kind of irritating.

You will really need at least one or two books, anyway, and if you get them first, and read the first half which goes over all the basics, you will make better decisions in purchasing your loading equipment. In other words, you will have a better idea of how to tailor your choices to meet your personal needs.

It's nearly impossible to go wrong with the Classic Turret, though. Very nice press. Cannot be beat for price either.
Old October 25, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
tug

I'm getting the books now too at least 2 maybe 3 or more of the books and manuels suggested at the top of the forum but at the same time I'm a hands-on type and need to look and touch what they are talking about I just learn better that way and go thru the motions with the instructions dry runs over and over, I've got to play with all the parts put them together and take 'em apart run thru adjustments and refine my moves before I even attempt the actual reload.
Old October 25, 2008, 02:59 PM   #4
bggwind

Tug - Check this out

There's a nice guy on here by the name of Smaug. Search for his threads in this reloading sub-group.

Also check out the YouTube Vids he did - there are 4 of them on basic noobie reloading that will help you a great deal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbeHvJIkfM
from this link you'll find the others...
Old October 25, 2008, 05:00 PM   #5
benzuncle

Tug, some answers to your questions and concerns about the Lee Classic Turret Press from an owner that began just like you in January of this year. I found and handgun magazine in my Christmas stocking last December; there was an article in it titled, "Is It Time to Reload?" or something like that. I read that article about a dozen times, then started lurking on the internet. There's so much here from those that have been there.

Your questions and concerns: The only hesitations I have are the remarks about the amount of plastic parts , the uncomfortable hand griping and is it made in the U.S.A. very important aspect to me.

The plastic parts: I'm not sure what the concern is there as hardly any plastic parts are used in "high wear" or "hard use areas". Most of the parts are different types of metal.

The uncomfortable hand gripping: After several thousand rounds of 45acp and a thousand rounds of 380acp, I'm not sure where the uncomfortable part comes into play. I have read that the Dillon needs a handle other than the original to be comfortable but have not heard that of the Lee Classic Turret Press before. In fact, the round ball on the end of the handle fits in the hand nicely.

As for the Lee Classic Turret Press being made in the U.S.: it's not. It's made in Wisconsin!

If you have decided on the Lee equipment, go to their website, view the videos and the articles. The one by Mark Trope is a good one. He shows his setup of the Classic Turret Press.

I also looked at all of the vendors on their website. I ended up buying my Classic in a kit form from Kemp Gun Shop. They had everything I wanted, including the powder upgrade and Safety Prime system all in a package, in stock and at a fair price. I have since ordered other equipment from them and Midway. I don't really have an interest in moving up to another reloader.

Good luck to you; please let us know how you fare.
Old October 26, 2008, 07:20 AM   #6
under_dawg

As mentioned above, I would urge you to read the latest edition of ABC's of Reloading prior to buying a press. I am pretty new to reloading as well, and a friend, who reloads, DEMANDED I read before I get into it. It kind of ticked me off at first but I'm glad I listened. My second book before I bought a press was Lee's modern reloading 2nd edition. I have another friend who decided to get into reloading. He did not read up first. He bought the equipment and loaded some PLATED bullets with JACKETED load data. A piece of metal (bullet casing) nearly hit his cheek 1" from his eye. I hope you will enjoy it as a hobby. I have a Lee Classic Turret Kit. Bought it from Cabelas last December. They at the time were the only place I was aware of who offered a kit. They still have it. It has most of the stuff needed to get started scales, primer feeders. auto disc pro powder dispenser, riser etc. But now I know there is another source that may be a bit cheaper I just can't remember the name. I think CRUSTYFN knows though, you may want to pm him.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Zhillsauditor

I, too, started reloading about a year ago. I got the Lee Classic Turret press kit from Kempf's, at http://www.kempfgunshop.com/. I recommend it as a good kit to start with. My suggestion is to pay for the primer upgrade to get the system for both large and small primers (I ended up having to do so and now have a small primer system extra). The Lee dies are relatively cheap and seem to do the job for me. There are a lot of Utube videos you can watch too, which will give you pointers that are easier to understand than simply reading them in a book.

I just purchased a Dillon SDB, but will keep the turret press for rifle (which I don't reload yet but may one day) and for pistol ammo for which I haven't purchased SDB conversion kits (380 and 38/357).
Old October 26, 2008, 03:45 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I have been loading on a Lee classic cast turret for two years. Have loaded thousands of pistol rounds and 223 for my AR. It is a very solid press and I have not had trouble with any parts. Like benzuncle said there are not any plastic parts in high stress areas and the main plastic part for auto index you want to be plastic because you would want it to fail before you screwed up a metal part. I haven't had to replace the plastic ratchet part yet and the press is still going Strong. I didn't find the wooden handle to be uncomfortable. If you are going to be loading for any pistols I would recommend not to buy a single stage press, it will be too slow. The classic turret can be used as a SS and when you want to load faster you can use the auto indexing and load around 200 rounds per hour. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy and welcome to reloading.
Rusty
Old October 27, 2008, 06:42 PM   #9
tug

Thanks this is all good info and am ordering some manuels to begin with and the ?'s I had about the Lee have been mostly answered by you all, the hand comfort rap was brought up by only one person [answered], the amount of plastic was mentioned a few times but not explained [answered], I haven't been able to find where different companies have their components manufactured [answered] I prefer made in the U.S.A. but I'm aware that a few other countries make a fine product also. Alot is personal preference and I'm sure after time I figure out what mine are. As with fishing rods I wrap my own and know exactly what components and equipment I prefer and use.
I haven't bought a press yet I'm anxious but have managed to put it off for now til I get more comfortable with making a decision but the Lee classic turret kit is in the lead I just don't want to make a costly hurried purchase and I'm not close to needing or being ready for a progressive and I'm cool with a couple hund an hour. So, please keep the input coming thanks, I'm trying to follow-up on all suggestions and links
Old October 27, 2008, 07:04 PM   #10
BigJimP

I'm going to recommend you try and find a mentor at your range or gun club - that will help you out a little. What you will probably find is guys have different equipment - and they will share some insight into what they bought and why.

If you can impose on one of them to help you out with a session in their shop - it'll put you ahead of the curve / help make a lot more of this make sense.

Budgets are one thing - but I don't subscribe to the idea that you can't learn on a progressive press either. There are some things that to me at least make the selection of a press critical - and the biggest thing to me - is does it have the capacity for a "powder check" station on the press - where the press checks if the powder drop is low or high. Dillon, Hornady, RCBS all approach it a little differently - but some of their progressive presses have the option and some don't. Dillon as an example - does not have the option on the Square Deal B or the 550 model / it is available on the 650 and 1050. So to me - the 650 Dillon is the machine I recommend. Buying it without some of the options like a case feeder, extra powder measures, etc keeps the cost down to not much more than some of the single stage presses.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:23 PM   #11
TheNatureBoy

Tug, welcome to the world of reloading. Like you I am new at this. A few weeks ago I purchased a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit and am very pleased with it. I am currently loading for a Interarms .280 Remington bull barrel. In the near future I will be loading for my Ruger .243, and my Winchester Model 70 .30.06. All has gone well so far. Looking forward to going to the range asap! I read all of the posts and I agree with every one of them. I too encourage you to consult (if possible) an experienced reloader. I have a friend who has been reloading for 20+ years and I can't begin to tell you how much he has helped me. Peace

"One of the clearest lessons of history is that there is no
such thing as the forseeable future"
Old October 28, 2008, 05:56 AM   #12
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Think about the benefit of the quick change collets in the Lee breach lock. To get the true advantage of this system you need to get a collet for each die you have. It may also pay to get some spare collets just in case you 'help out' somebody else. I chose the breach lock press so that I get the 'set & forget', as well as a fest die change for one off jobs.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:51 PM   #13
NWPilgrim

Another happy Classic Turret user. After 20 years of using a Lee Challenger single stage press for rifle and handgun I am loving the turret system now.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:38 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

pressing issue

Start with and read the Sierra Reloading manual.

Add (and wear) safety glasses.

When in doubt buy RCBS.

Any press is good enough if one doesn't know the difference (I understand the new LEE made-of-iron presses are very good; buy that if desiring a LEE).
Ignore ABC's and LEE books; recommend most highly Sierra, and Lyman, and Hornady and Speer and Hodgdon and Accurate books instead.

I have no brand bias; I am function-based only.
Only.

I have and continue to use one Dillon XL650, Lyman Crusher 2, LEE Reloader (broke on its very first stroke but still used for mounting a Hornady/Pacific powder measure on top of Lyman flare/drop-through dies), Bonanza (now Forster/Bonanza) Co-Ax.
I have a LEE Challenger under my main bench because it broke during its first session.
I have every color on my benches.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:46 AM   #15
WadePatton

Welcome to loading.

Pick your equipment, take your time, double check each procedure, recheck you double checking. Read everything you can get your hands on. ABC's is fine.

In loading--you sweat the little stuff. Be ready to waste some cases. You'll make a mistake or two-we all did and noone is immune. Dummy rounds help with set up and function checking. Don't try to push the pressure limits and realize that there can be problems with too little powder as well. Forget the economical aspect until you're comfortable with the process.

As long as you use powder charges of 60% or more of case capacity-you can't double charge without making a mess. Bullseye is not for beginners.

I share your concern for where stuff is made and strive to avoid items of communist origin. Thankfully AFIK all the loading stuff is domestically produced--BUT I haven't bought any in years. I own products from Sinclair, Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Forester, Redding and others I'm sure.

I've primed thousands of cases with a the Lee hand-primer tool. Folks said the handle would break--and it did have an annoying squeak. I took it apart, deburred and dry lubed it. Still working great.

Enjoy.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:05 AM   #16
dmproske

I bought my equipment about 6 months ago. I bought a Hornady LnL classic single stage and a RCBS Pro 2000. I load for .300 remington Ultra mag and several pistol cartridges.

If doing it all over again.

I would buy a Lee Classic Cast single stage insted of the hornady. I called Hornady b4 buying it and they said it would work fine for the tall ultra mags. It does work but it is a tight fit when seating bullets. Has a little bit of frame flex to. The Lee Classic Cast is tall and stout with a thick meaty base.

I do not really need the capacity(rounds per minuete) of the RCBS Pro 2000. I should have started with the Lee Classic Turret and upgraded later if i needed to. Buying extra shell plates, die plates, and star wheels for the pro 2000 is expenisive.