The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 24, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Greywolf

Aimpoint magnifier question

OK, I'm trying to figue out what the eye relief is for the Aimpoint 3x magnifier (going to use it with an EOtech sight).

So far I have found:

"at 5° FOV 40 – 90 mm at full FOV 60 – 65 mm"

WTH does this mean? Admittedly I am a noob, but what is 5 degrees of FOV vs. the Full FOV, and why such a huge spread on the eye relief?

I like maximum eye relief (used to 3.5"-4.0" from my Zeiss and Sightron scopes).

Thanks for the help!
Old July 25, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
JoeHatley

FOV = Field Of Vision

Joe
Old July 25, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Greywolf

I do understand what FOV means, but not in the context of how this eye relief is exlplained = what does 5 degrees FOV mean vs. Full FOV, and how is it possible to have 5 degrees or Full? Nowhere does the magnifier say that it has an adjustable FOV or objective like some scopes.

Does this mean that if I angle my eye 5 degrees I'll get anywhere from 40-90mm of eye relief? Or that if I'm dead on that it will be 60-65 mm?

Very confusing - I just want to know what the darn eye relief is so I can determine whether this will be popping me in my eyeglasses when I shoot, or if I will even be able to see much since my glasses are about 3/4" - 1" away from my eye.