The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 2, 2012, 02:13 AM   #1
thecartmell

Remington 700

I'm in the market for a Remington 700 and could use some advice/suggestions.

I'm looking for one in .338, and plan on modifying to a tactical rifle, I don't ever hunt, so basically this will be for long range target shooting.

I'd like to get it to resemble as close as I can to M24.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Keepin_Jeepin

nevermind!

Last edited by Keepin_Jeepin; December 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Rangefinder

Remington makes the 700 in .338 RUM (Remington Ultra Mag). But if you're looking for a long range target platform, I'd suggest picking up a Remington Sendero in either 300 RUM, 7mm Mag, or 7mm RUM. They will all be powder hogs, but they are a superb platform to build from, and are pretty top-notch right out of the box. My Sendero 7Mag was capable of 1500 Meters reliably so long as I held my end of the bargain.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
thecartmell

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...38+Lapua+24+HB

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+338LAP+MZLBRK

both remington 700's in 338
Old December 3, 2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Keepin_Jeepin

Whoops I misread original post.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:06 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

Why do you want .338 Lapua?

It is expensive, it is a barrel burner, and did I mention it's expensive?

It also is not even what the M24 is chambered for...
Old December 4, 2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Rangefinder

Actually the M24A3 IS chambered in .338LM rather than 7.62x51. But, as stated, it's a serious powder hog. OTOH, any of the big Magnums are, so it's not really much factor. Going that route would be easier to get initial ranging data for since the US Army already has all the range data established. It all comes down to what a guy wants to spend.

If money weren't a problem, I'd go with a McMillan. The only problem is that while they finally chamber in .416 Barrett, it's still only offered as a single-shot. When they provide it with a detachable box mag it will be the perfect extreme range platform. .50BMG is awesome, but the .416 is still a step up in performance, and McMillan is more than a step above Barrett. So it's nearly a perfect marriage with the Tac-416. Come on, Lottery!

Old December 4, 2012, 01:15 PM   #8
thecartmell

I don't really have any good reasoning for wanting .338. I have a ak chambered in .308 so I was wanting something in a different caliber and a bolt action. The Remington 700 was recommend to me by my cousin who was a NJ police officer. Thats kinda why I said i was open to suggestions, I don't really know much about these rifles so I'm open to anything.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
cw308

How long have you been shooting. The 338 is a hand full.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Rangefinder

Well then, the truth comes out. Good on you. Lets start reasonably. While the .338LM is a tremendous long range performer, no rifle is worth squat without the operator. Get yourself a Remington 700 in .308. That way you can load for both easily, though separately in batches. Components will be easier. Then work yourself out a little at a time. Once it's all muscle memory and instinct, go for the magnum and stretch the limits. Jumping right into a .338LM without setting yourself up right will just make it that much harder for you to get to that LR goal. Walk. Then run.

Old December 4, 2012, 03:56 PM   #11
allaroundhunter

Rangefinder, thanks for that correction, I was of the understanding that the M24s in use were chambered for .308 and .300 Win Mag. Learn something new everday

Quote:
I don't really have any good reasoning for wanting .338. I have a ak chambered in .308 so I was wanting something in a different caliber and a bolt action. The Remington 700 was recommend to me by my cousin who was a NJ police officer. Thats kinda why I said i was open to suggestions, I don't really know much about these rifles so I'm open to anything.
With that being said, I know you don't want another .308, but it would be a heck of a better choice than a .338 LM.

If you are dead set against the .308, then maybe a .300 Win Mag. It is still a handful and expensive, but not as bad as a .338...

And trust me, .308 is a different animal out of a bolt gun than it is out of a semi auto. You will get just as much satisfaction (probably more) from a R700 in .308 than in any other (higher) caliber. The fun comes from learning the platform and learning how to shoot it better, not from the bigger blast and harsher recoil.

Last edited by allaroundhunter; December 4, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Rangefinder

Quote:
And trust me, .308 is a different animal out of a bolt gun than it is out of a semi auto. You will get just as much satisfaction (probably more) from a R700 in .308 than in any other caliber. The fun comes from learning the platform and learning how to shoot it better, not from the bigger blast and harsher recoil.
And that being said, I can tell you from experience that this is a very true statement. While blast and recoil will get the blood pumping, that won't make the shot. True to life, my 1000M go-to rifle is a Remington 700 chambered in 6MM Rem. NO recoil, not much in the way of blast. But I guarantee it delivers surgical hits on 1000M targets with more impact on-target than a .357 Mag at point-blank. It WILL penetrate a standard 2A vest at that range--both sides, and the wearer between. For a .243 caliber bullet at that distance, it speaks volumes. Learn your fundamentals first. Then make an educated decision on a magnum. You may just find that it's a waste of powder for less precision and performance.

Old December 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #13
allaroundhunter

I can't wait to get into reloading so I can get a bolt gun in a 6 or 6.5mm round. I like my .308, but the performance of the 6 and 6.5mm rounds at extended ranges speak for themselves and are easier on the shooter.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:44 PM   #14
ripnbst

As has been hinted at already I am also going to recommend something like a 6.5 mm round for getting out there without pounding yourself into the dirt.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #15
cw308

Look also at a Rem. 260 cal.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
traumajunkie

I absolutely love my Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD the only thing I don't like is the stock which some day I will change I'm still in a learning stage though I figure if I can get good with the flimsy ish houge stock than I will be better with the new one

It's not an assault weapon it's a Modern Musket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2012, 09:40 AM   #17
tAKticool

As above I also love my new Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308 , and I also will eventually replace the Hogue OverMolded stock with something nice, but that'll be the last thing, after just purchasing a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm BDC, a Harris BRMS bipod, Viking Tactical padded sling, etc. I'll eventually get a nice stock, but will wait to get what I really want.

I just wanted to say, if you're really trying for an M24(kind of like me in a way), I can't see why you're going .338 ... you do realize .338 LM is like, what, $5 MINIMUM DIRT CHEAPEST a round, more like $7-$10 *A SHOT* ? And it's gonna knock you back a bit, it's not for the normal shooter, we are talking about extremely trained military snipers or *extremely* invested/skilled hunters...

Even the Army's newest upgrade was simply to .300 Winchester Magnum I believe, more than more than enough for most.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #18
jmr40

The army experimented with 338 Lapua, but decided on the 300 win mag.

http://kitup.military.com/2010/09/re...per-rifle.html

If you want what the military is using go with the 300. I'd go with the 300 even if it weren't what the miliary were using.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:36 PM   #19
Rangefinder

I've given my choice if money WEREN'T an issue... But since it is, I'll give my preference on a practical basis. 7mm Rem. Mag, though a powder hog, is an amazing extreme range performer. While my 6mm Rem is my go-to up to 1000M, my 7mm Mag is outstanding upwards of 1500M+. I HAVE placed successful (and repeatable) hits out to an even mile with the Sendero in 7mm Mag.