The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 3, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
OttoJara

Buyers Remorse ?

I just ordered a NEF Handi rifle in 45-70. After going to the store today to pick up a couple boxes of ammo, I'm not sure if I made the right choice. There is no doubt that I wanted the Handi Rifle, I'm just not sure about the 45-70. I was also thinking of 30-30, I like the iron sights. I can still cancel the order and get the 30-30. I don't need the 45-70, I've just always wanted one. Tell me it'll be OK and I'll love this new gun.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old November 3, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
TripHlx

I'm a big fan of the handi-rifle, love mine to death. I don't currently own a 45-70 barrel, but everyone I know who has one says it's just about a perfect combo. I imagine if you handload and plan on ramping up the charges, the light weight might make it a little rough on the shoulder. Then again, certain people seem to like that. (Guilty as charged)
Old November 3, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
OttoJara

I really can't see myself hand loading. I am not that organized or detailed. I amagine myself double loading rounds or half loading them. I told my son that I want ammo for CHRISTmas this year. I have a fascination with expensive ammo. 300 Win mag., 35 Remington, and now, 45-70. What the hell is wrong with me?

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old November 3, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4
jmortimer

The .45-70 would be a good place to start reloading. Straight walled case. Use some Trail Boss. It is so bulky you can't double charge. Low recoil. Save yourself some $$$ and get your son started. A win-win. Regardless, you will be liking your rifle and then you can get the .30-30.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
OttoJara

I was looking on Cheaper Than Dirt, and found a Lee's Loader. It said it was all I needed to get ready for 45-70. I thought I needed a press and a few other parts to reload.

Old November 3, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

The lee loader is a one at a time manual loader set-up. I know a hunter or two who use them for 357 they shoot less than 50 rounds a year with and a few people use them to make test loads while at the range.

Everyone I know who uses one is happy with it.

I bought one at an estate auction a few years back but never used it.

I think you also need to buy more powder measures if you want to load a variety.

Handi rifles aren't too expensive. If you decide to buy a 30/30 down the road it won't break the bank.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7
jmortimer

That will work - good place to start - just use powder dipper and get a scale and you are good to go
Old November 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Kiwi Hunter

The handi rifle is absolutely horrible in 45/70 (imho) unless you need the 45 for some reason I would be swapping it out straight away.

My brothers one on that chambering would pop the action open with even moderately warm loads as well - not a nice feeling
Old November 4, 2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Goatwhiskers

In the Handi 99.999% of pop-opens happen because the latch and shelf are wet with lube. Keep them DRY and close with a snap, problem solved. GW
Old November 4, 2012, 07:05 AM   #10
OttoJara

I'm sure I'll be happy with the 45-70 Handi Rifle. I knew the price of the ammo before the purchase, it was just paying it when I had to. that being said, I can't wait till it comes.

Old November 4, 2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

If you like a little recoil you will love the 45-70. Seriously, it is a fun round to shoot and hunt with. You won't regret it after you put a few down range.

I bought a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 and it can't get enough of it. Hunting ammo by the way is cheaper for my 45-70 than for my 7mm Rem Mag.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #12
OttoJara

I don't mind recoil, I've had a 300 Win Mag, and I have a 35rem. 336. I've always thought the 45-70 was just a badass round, and you never know when you will have a charging Cadillac.

Old November 4, 2012, 04:30 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If I bought a Handi-Rifle , I'd have buyers remorse before I left the store , no matter what caliber !
Old November 4, 2012, 08:40 PM   #14
jhenry

I have 2 Handi Rifles,, both in .243 for my boys. I have shot quite a few others though I like them. My friend has one in .500 SW Magnum. Loaded with heavy lead and a full charge it knocks my hat off the front of my head. I think a 45-70 with more sedate loads would be fine.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:03 PM   #15
OttoJara

Thanks JHenry, I think I'm going to love this gun once I get it in my hands. How old are your boys? I have two of my own 17 & 10, the 10yr old limes shooting. He has put claim on my S&W 15-22. He's getting very good with it. He wants to shoot a hog or a deer, so, I've been thinking of a 243 for him. The gun shop around the corner has a used Handi in 223. I was thinking of that for him.

Old November 5, 2012, 06:58 AM   #16
jhenry

11 and 13 now, they have had the guns 2 and 4 years. The 223 is also a good choice, but the .243 allows heavier projectiles. Recoil is manageable. Both have scopes.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:11 AM   #17
jmortimer

"If I bought a Handi-Rifle , I'd have buyers remorse before I left the store , no matter what caliber !"
Deep, insightful addition to this thread. When you are going to take up server space, why not put some thought into what you have to say. No one cares about your rude, thoughtless comment. Plenty of people like the H&Rs. The point here was a caliber discussion, not your opinion about H&R, which is not needed, or wanted.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Bamashooter

I would put my handi-rifle against anything comperably priced. Mine is a .243 with a burris 3x9 scope. Its light, reliable, extremely accurate and for the price of the whole setup I couldnt be more happy.

Otto if I were you I would get it, shoot it, and then decide if its a keeper or not. If its the handi-rifle that's got you nervous I wouldnt worry too much about it. They have been building 45-70 Govt. single shot rifles for awhile now.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:31 PM   #19
OttoJara

It's not the H&R, it was the caliber. I have a NEF 12 ga. That I take turkey hunting instead of my Wingmaster or A5. The Browning is a light 12 I got when my dad passed. Can't get rid of it and really don't want to shoot it. She's a safe queen now. I intend on getting more H&Rs in the near future. I like simple and reliable.

Old November 6, 2012, 12:10 AM   #20
OttoJara

Anyone have pics of their Handi rifles?

Old November 24, 2012, 02:22 PM   #21
OttoJara

Well, I got my Handi Rifle and as you guys said, I love it. I haven't shot it yet, hopefully next weekend. I have gone out and bought 120 rounds for it, that should last me a while. I'll get a pick up ASAP I don't go on my computer at home much, only on my phone like now. Has anyone figured out how to upload pics from their phone on here yet?

Old November 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #22
TripHlx

I'm sure you'll have a blast with it once you get it out to the range. I strongly suggest you take up reloading, partly to mitigate costs, but also because the 45-70 can be an incredibly fun round when you start loading custom loads for it. I like ball rounds, tons of fun.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:15 PM   #23
WIN1886

The 45-70 caliber is one of my favorites ! Reloading your own ammo for it is fun and easy.....mild loads is all that's needed to put venison in the freezer !
Old December 6, 2012, 06:05 AM   #24
lefteyedom

My next handi-rifle will be a 45/70 with the barrel cut down to 16 1/2" and a thick recoil pad.

I currently have a NEF single shot 12 gauge with a 19" barrel. Shooting slugs out of that thing separates the Men from the boys. (Some say the foolish from the wise)
Old December 7, 2012, 05:35 PM   #25
NoSecondBest

You can buy very light recoiling 45-70 ammo at a number of places. It's for cowboy action shooting and it pushes a 405 grain bullet at I believe around 1200 fps. It's a real wosie load and very accurate. Even though it's very light recoiling it will still shoot completely through an average size deer. FYI: I bought my first 45-70 two years ago and have had four since then. I just ordered a Pedersoli lever gun in this caliber. I got rid of all my small bore centerfire rifles and can't get enough of these big boys. Reloading I'm getting 1moa accuracy at 100 yds.