The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Jerry11826

Wheel bearing grease

Am thinking of putting a dab of wheel bearing grease in the cylinder bolt notches on my Ruger GP100. Seems it might make a smooth double action even smoother.

Has anyone ever had a problem with putting grease in revolver bolt notches!

Thanks,

Jerry
Old June 11, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
drail

Wheel bearing grease will become hard and waxy when left exposed to the air and will pick up grit which will cause more wear than running the cylinder dry. The cylinder locking notches don't really "need" any lubrication and when run dry don't add any drag to the cycling of the gun. The bolt that drops into the notch will become polished smooth in fairly short time and friction will be minimal. I would just keep a drop of oil on the pin the cyclinder rotates on and on the internal parts. While grease may sound like a good idea in practice it causes more problems than it solves.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
g.willikers

If your cylinder needed to be lubed like that it would have a grease fitting.
Old June 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Nanuk

I would not put anything in the cylinder notches. It may cause something to get stuck and stop it from locking into place, causing problems.

I use Mobile 1 synthetic grease on the rails of my semi auto pistols and Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil on everything else. I have never seen Synthetic oils get crusty or anything else.

I don't buy into special oils.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:45 AM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Wheelbearing Grease is designed for high temp application , and is totaly unsuitable for firearms !
Old June 12, 2012, 06:30 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Wheelbearing Grease is designed for high temp application , and is totaly unsuitable for firearms !
"Formulated"?
What attribute of wheelbearing grease makes it unsuitable for firearms? What would happen if you used wheelbearing grease in a grease fitting other than a wheel bearing or on a firearm?
Why is wheelbearing grease considered a high temperature application? I though Rykon (red grease), was for high temperatures.
I would like to learn these things.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Fleet

Wheel bearing grease is hi temp due to proximity to a cars brakes, which can get quite hot.
That said, there's nothing wrong with using it on the rails of a semi auto. Overkill, but it won't hurt a thing.

Using it in other places would depend on a number of factors that the lubrication industry calls LETS, an acronym for load, environment, temperature and speed. In other words, you'd need the tech data sheet for the grease you have, and using LETS, compare it to the application to know if it's suitable. Using the wrong grease in an application will lead to any number of unpleasant consequences, all starting with failure.

Ignore the color of any lubricant, it's not an indication of any attribute other than that was the color the mfr chose to use. The color is there due to the manufacturer putting dye in it so they can identify it in house (in a natural state, most greases look alike), not because of any quality formulated into the lubricating properties.

Last edited by Fleet; June 12, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
mete

Gun makers do use oils and greases .For me I've used RIG for many years as a rust inhibitor and lube .I also use turbine oil which has all the specs needed for guns . Mobil 1 has been shown to be an excellent oil and I assume Mobil grease would also.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:20 AM   #9
MSD Mike

All that being said, I think it is a bad idea on the cylinder notches. It seems like it would attract grit and grim and as mentioned before it could possibly impede lockup. Never mind the mess in your holster.

Mike
Old June 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #10
F. Guffey

I have always been a fan of Reslone and Marvel Mystery oil and Automatic transmission fluid, then there are lubes that reduce friction.

Color? There was a wheel bearing grease that was black, marlex, lithium, and a shock absorbing ingredient called?????? Now I remember, lead. The way that stuff was advertised, there was no argument against using it.

Unless, the Internet is being used , the U- tube link is about packing or smearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LOB_Xy4J6lI

High heat? The purpose of a lube is to reduce heat by reducing friction. In a wheel hub there is no way for heat to be removed AND there is little to no circulation of the lube to circulate. Air cooled, and then there is a problem when heat is applied the disc.

F. Guffey