The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #1
chaz12

Single action army question

I have an Uberti copy of the single action army that I got recently, and it has some actions issues. I am wondering do they indicate a timing problem or something else?

When you move the hammer to the 1st postion (safety), two things aren't quite right. One, there is no audible click at all. Two, the safety notch does not seem very positive. The hammer typically will go come to a definite stop and you can see the bolt is engaged. However, you can then push on the hammer, and it will move forward maybe 1/32" and then be firmly stopped.

Second issue is with the third hammer position. There is a definite click of the bolt engaging, and you can see it is in the up position. But sometimes, there is still just a bit of play in the cylinder, and if you rotate it slightly forward, you will immediately hear another click, like the bolt was not totally engaged before.

I have shot a couple hundred rounds thru it with no problems. There is only the very faintest drag line forming on the cylinder.

I know how the revolver should work, and I would be OK with polishing internal parts, but I probably wouldn't want to do any more than that. Would it be worth looking at the internals, should I let a gunsmith do it, or is it serious enough to bother with?

Chaz
Old June 4, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those guns follow the original Colt SAA pretty closely. The safety notch (which should never be used as a safety when carrying) is quite deep, so that the upper part of the trigger (sear) fits quite a way into it. That is to prevent the trigger from being pulled while in the safety notch. If the trigger is just a tad tight in the notch, it will act just as you describe. If you take the hammer and trigger out, and try to fit the trigger into the notch you will see the problem. More than likely a little work on the trigger with a stone will correct the problem, or just working it might be enough.

The second problem indicates a slight out of time, but it is probably not detectable unless the cylinder is deliberately held back in rotating. If it locks up OK when the gun is cocked normally, it is nothing to worry about.

Ideally, a SAA should not show any drag line before the lead (that sloped cut that leads to the cylinder notch), but some do. If the cylinder bolt is not gouging the cylinder, again it is not a big worry. But if it is digging a hole, that can be corrected by lightening the trigger/bolt spring a little or by replacing it with one of the wire springs on the market.

Jim
Old June 4, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Hawg

The cylinder on a Colt or Colt repro will only get a drag line if the hammer is let down from half cock. It should only be let down from full cock.