The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
abber

But is it worth it?

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but it doesn't fit perfectly in any of em. Oh well, here goes. Has anybody tried Frog Lube? My old man's gun-loving buddy says I should try it. You have to heat the parts before treatment. This makes me a bit leary, as does the price. But, if it is all it is hyped up to be (by the manuf of course), I would be willing to give it a shot.

Or on a related note, if not Frog Lube, what do you think is the supreme weapon cleaner/lubricant? Currently, I use mostly Hoppe's #9 and Rem oil. Also on the shelf are Break Free, Kroil, and Gunslick. I have found the Kroil to be a good cleaner, but it turns gummy over time, so not a good lubricant. I also have Slipstream, and it seems to work ok, but it is black and messy. Any and all tips are appreciated.

Last edited by abber; May 31, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
HiBC

IMO,the value of discussing it is having a topic to discuss.

Other than that...it seems to be a quest for some mystical magical snake oil.

I have been using CLP and Tetra gun grease for lube,but there are a lot of products that will work fine.

RIG or Break Free Collector are good for storage.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
eldorendo

I'm absolutely convinced that there is just no lubricant better for my firearms than Mobil 1, 15W50. I just don't have any motivation to experiment with more expensive, inferior gimmicky lubes.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
hooligan1

G-96 there's no better gun oil, period.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Clemson

Kroil is a penetrating oil. For that purpose it is the best product available. It has limited to no lubricating or protection properties.

Use a gun oil for guns and motor oil for motors.

I don't use Mobil One, Havoline, Automatic Transmission Fluid or other auto products on my guns (or my customers' guns -- I am a professional gunsmith).

I find that a can of Rem-Oil and a bottle of Breakfree CLP get the most use in the shop, though Tetra grease sees occasional use as do other products.

Just opinion.................

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 31, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
G-96 there's no better gun oil, period.
Yep. G96 CLP. The best.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old May 31, 2012, 08:40 PM   #7
45_auto

Quote:
I'm absolutely convinced that there is just no lubricant better for my firearms than Mobil 1, 15W50.
I'm absolutely convinced that there is just no lubricant better for my automobiles than RemOil with teflon. It's kind of expensive, and I just wish Remington made a factory oil filter to go with it and sold it in 5 gallon jugs instead of just those little 4 oz bottles.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:29 PM   #8
rickb2202

lube

one word answer, no explanation, no defense. DEXTRON
Old June 1, 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
abber

Wow, opinions vary wildly. No surprise, we are a passionate bunch. I just like to check on myself once in a while. A friend of mine (who has had some formal gunsmith training) said to soak my AR BCG in a 50/50 mix of ATF and synthetic motor oil. I'm in no real hurry to try that. I'm thinking that a solid maintenance routine is probably much more important than which lubes you use. In my early shooting days (when money was real tight) I just used Hoppe's #9, and let the residual from that do the lubricating.

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions. Happy shooting.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Sigowner

Have used Frog Lube twice and followed directions using a hair dryer to heat the metal. No issues with it and it's a lot easier/cleaner to use than grease and oil.

Just so you understand the Frog Lube principle.....you are essentially seasoning the metal and making everything a non-stick surface in exactly the same manner as seasoning a cast iron skillet.....in fact I'm certain they use vegetable oil. The cast iron turns into one of the easiest to clean and maintain non-stick pans ever made!
Old June 2, 2012, 09:01 AM   #11
eldorendo

Quote:
I'm absolutely convinced that there is just no lubricant better for my automobiles than RemOil with teflon. It's kind of expensive, and I just wish Remington made a factory oil filter to go with it and sold it in 5 gallon jugs instead of just those little 4 oz bottles.
Hardehardeharharhar! Brilliant! Fact is, if RemOil were anything much more than a light sewing machine oil, it might be o.k. in racing engines. There are several well-known gunsmiths who actually do use and recommend Mobil 1 for lubing firearms.

I use Mobil 1 exclusively for mine, with excellent results. I've found, for example, that a thin oil with crappy lubricity like RemOil quickly cooks off of an AR bolt carrier/bolt. Mobil 1 hangs around and keeps lubing.

I know this is probably like rocket science for some folks, but just use a smidgen of your intellectual prowess and understanding of metal-to-metal friction, etc., and try to think of any lubricity requirements of a firearm that exceed that of a $250,000, 15k r.p.m. racing engine. Get it?? it really is just that simple!

It's irrelevant to me what anybody else chooses for lubing his/her firearms. I'll stick with Mobil 1, as does, I believe, Richard Heinie.

Lots of folks recommend Militec-1, touting it as the absolute zenith in firearms lubrication. Anybody know anything about the origins of Militec-1? Zounds, it was developed as a crankcase additive, one of many which touted "molecular bonding," etc., etc, blah, blah, blah. Didn't do too well as a crankcase additive, so somebody was smart enough to charge ten times as much; rebottle in smaller, "firearms-specific" bottles and market it to the unwashed masses of the gun world.