The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
saands

Adding spur to S&W hammer?

I was wondering if anyone has ever added a spur to a hammer. On the S&W 6906, the hammer is perfectly flush with the back of the slide when it is de-cocked, so there is no way to get to single action without pulling on the double action trigger (either to fire a shot, or to use the trigger to get the hammer back far enough that you can cock it manually ... the latter is NOT a good idea, I know!). On many of the other S&W models (e.g. 1076) as well as the bobbed hammer HK-USPs that are DA/SA like the 6906, the hammer protrudes roughly a tenth of an inch so that you can manually take it to SA safely if that is desired and I'd like to have the 6906 be the same.

I'd love to hear if (and how) people have done this mod ... if they have.

Thanks in advance,

Saands
Old May 30, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
saands

Actually, after doing some research, I see that I can use a 5906 hammer as a replacement and for $35, that seems like a MUCH better route to take

Saands
Old June 1, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
CowTowner

Thanks for posting the solution you found.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 1, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
saands

In the interest of full disclosure, I also discovered that while it looks like the 1076 works just like the 6906 but with an extra 0.1 inches of serrated hammer to grab onto, that isn't exactly what is going on. It turns out that the 3rd generation S&W autos generally don't have half-cocked notches in their hammers. The 1076 is an exception (as it was in many ways, like not having a mag safety and having a frame mounted decocker, a la Sig Sauer) and it is the half-cocked position where the decocker leaves the hammer on the 1076 ... that is why you can go to SA so easily.

Saands