The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
scottd913

cutting my 12ga barrel

I was planing on cutting my shotgun barrel for hd im not sure about the frount sight as far as replacing it im sure i can place it in the right spot but im not sure just how. I also am not sure if i should go back with the ball type or replace with tactical sights of one sort or another all advise welcome. I have orderd the tactical stock and pump lever i might add other stuff too.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
smitherians

You would have to drill and tap the front of the barrel, then put in a brass bead. Make sure you do the job right with right tools. I would recommend you take it too a gunsmith, they shouldn't charge too much for it.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Sport45

What is the maximum range you'll be shooting inside your house? Consider if you really need a front bead. Using the top of the muzzle will raise the point of impact what, maybe 2 inches at in-home distances?
Old May 21, 2012, 04:26 AM   #4
GM2

No need for a front sight on a 18" barrel for HD. Practice the point and shoot method.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:04 PM   #5
PetahW

All that's really needed is a renewable 1/2" wide strip of white cloth medical adhesive tape run down the top of the barrel.

Old May 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
jimisbell

That tape idea is excellent. What about a reflective tape for better visability in a darkened room?
Old May 29, 2012, 02:28 AM   #7
Gunn Smithy

With 12 ga and I assume a plain barrel it's pretty easy. First don't cut the barrel or remove the sight bead without marking, drilling, taping and installing the bead for the shorter barrel. It's just easier that way. Don't worry about a blind hole. Drill into the bore. Easier to drill and to tap. After the barrel is drilled and tapped, cut the barrel then put a liberal amount of Red Loctite on the bead threads and tighten it up. Then you'll have to smooth out the brass that's hanging into the bore, otherwise you'll have a bore obstruction and that's bad news. I'd usually do a little Dremel work on it and then polish the entire bore including the sight area. Works like a champ and is easy to do. Smithy.