The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1
300rumfan

Beretta bl-3

I recently purchased a beretta bl-3 o/u from gunbroker. After recieving the shotgun I found a bulge in one of the barrels. So Id like to purchase new barrels if anyone has a set to sell. Length is not important nor is choke size, I am just trying to salvage what money I already have in the gun. Are bl-3, 4, and 5 barrels interchangable?.....Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks Bryan Chatwell
Old November 1, 2011, 09:28 PM   #2
oneounceload

Barrels are fitted to the gun - this isn't like changing a barrel on an 870 or Mossberg 500

Where is the bulge - near the barrel muzzle or the breech end?
Old November 1, 2011, 10:21 PM   #3
300rumfan

the bulge is close to the muzzle end
Old November 1, 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
ipscchef

I wish I could help you

I have had a BL-3 for almost 20 years now, and it is by far my favorite shotgun. I am not an expert about shotguns but I find it to be one of the best handling guns I have ever held, and everyone who picks it up agrees.

Mine is a 20 guage, I would not trade it for the world. I am sure there are Skeet and Trap shooters that will scoff at them, but I have never held a gun that pointed the way my BL-3 does. When I take it to the Clays range in Vienna, Md. I actualy look like I am a good shot when I use it.

For what it is worth, My close friend who lives on the Eastern Shore of Md. is good friends with the owner of a Gun store that actualy had one for sale, I will call him tomorow and ask him to contact his friend to see about getting a set of barrels for you. No promises but I will try to help.

Is it a 12 or a 20?

P.S., May I ask what you paid for it?
Old November 1, 2011, 11:49 PM   #5
ipscchef

Also, out of curiousity, did the seller make you aware of the bulge? If not have you tried to contact him? If he did not tell you of the bulge when he sold it to you, he should be held accountable. I have only bought one gun off of Gunbroker, and do not know of their policies regarding this type of thing, but I hope you have some recourse through them. I know that they have a rating system for sellers and buyers, but right now, that does not remove the bulge from your gun. I would think that the seller should give you relief of some type, a refund would seem to be in order. But again, I am not aware of the specifics of the transaction.

I will try to have an answer from my friend within 48hrs., one way or the other. I hope you can resolve this if I cannot be of help.

Bill Henderson
Old November 2, 2011, 09:16 AM   #6
oneounceload

If the bulge is close to the muzzle end, it sounds like someone fired steel shot through a tight fixed choke - a pic or 2 would help in that regard.

I agree with the other poster - if the seller did not disclose, and you were unaware, then it should be returned. Most reputable sellers allow a three-day inspection period on used guns
Old November 2, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
300rumfan

No I wasn't aware of the bulge at all. It is a 12gaugegun that I paid $450. The dealer has an as is policy but agreed to make this deal right most likely since it is a safety issue. If I could find barrels at a reasonable price ill keep it. I'm almost afraid to return it, I don't want it resold and someone getting hurt.....
Old November 2, 2011, 02:45 PM   #8
oregunner

I think, even if you were able to find another set of barrels and have them fitted, you would be way upside down in that gun. I'm guessing the barrel swap would be $300-$400. Send it back, and keep looking. Mark
Old November 2, 2011, 06:36 PM   #9
ipscchef

+1 for Oregunner

You really should be able to send this gun back regardless of what the seller, or Gunbroker says about it. You are completely correct that it is a safety issue. I remember from my college days in pre, pre-law, that the UCC or "Uniform Commercial Code" was a book written about federal guidelines for interstate commerce. There was a portion of that book that spoke about
"Warrent of Merchantability" that basicly stated that if you were to sell anything, lets just say it is a Duck, for instance, that it had to walk like a Duck, quack like a Duck, and do all things that could be reasonably expected of a Duck. No matter what the warrenty says about this or that, these rules override anything that is written. so you should have good ground to stand on.

If there are any real Attorneys at Law reading this, please correct anything that I have said in error, as I am not one, I do not portray one on TV., shoot, I have not even stayed at a Holiday Inn recently! But that should give you a right to relief in this situation. And frankly if you are given any grief whatsoever about this issue, I would come on TFL and state the problem, the name of the seller, and how you were treated by Gunbroker! Unless of course the TFL does not allow that type of thing. But you certainly should be able to get relief from either Gunbroker, or primaraly, the seller.

Of course, that is JMHO, andas always YMMV.

Willy
Old November 2, 2011, 08:17 PM   #10
oneounceload

If it was sold "as is where is", no warranty of merchantability exists.

Failure to disclose could be grounds for fraud; but since the dealer is going to make it right, issue is resolved
Old November 3, 2011, 11:27 PM   #11
clang

I just saw a like new BL-2 for sale at a gunshow for $475. Like said before - a barrel set and fitting is going to set you back $300-$400, so it is not worth fixing.

How badly is the barrel bulged? How close to the end? Might be best to cut off the bulged portion and make it a woods and grouse gun.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:22 AM   #12
oneounceload

Since the BL-2 is not made anymore, I suspect the barrel set will be a lot more than 3-400 - the FITTING might be that cheap, but the barrels won't
Old November 4, 2011, 11:29 AM   #13
BigJimP

Its another reason not to buy guns off the internet ....!

The OP is very lucky that the seller is going to help him out on this issue ...but many sellers on gunbroker will not ...as is, means as is.../ its part of the risk you assume if you buy off the internet.