The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Dewalt280

Problem neck sizing 280 Remington

I am trying to reload once fired Remington brass using a Lee neck sizing die. I am using Nosler 140 Accubond bullets. The problem is I can't get the neck to size tight enough to hold the bullet in place. The collet seems to move freely within the die and appears to press approx. 3/16" into the die at the top of the ram stroke. The bullets will hold in the case mouth but very lightly. They can be turned with finger pressure only! I have tried readjusting the die but had no luck. I have also measured the case to make sure it wasn't bottoming out on decapping pin. Any thoughts?
Old October 22, 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
wncchester

"I have tried readjusting the die but had no luck."

That's the probable problem anyway. We must adjust that die down far enough or it can't squeeze the neck firmly against the mandrel.

Do it again and go down in no more than quarter turns until it makes tight necks and stop, or you will end up stripping the aluminum top cap out of the die body. (It's designed to do that to keep us from otherwise damageing the die or our press)
Old October 22, 2008, 06:15 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Measure the mandrel. If it measures .282" or smaller you know the die is not adjusted correctly. I'd also make sure you don't have .277" bullets.

Tags
280 remington , neck sizing , problem