The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 24, 2007, 08:03 AM   #1
ursavus.elemensis

Trail Cameras

I need some quick words of advice regarding trail cameras because I need to pick one up at Cabelas this weekend.

I need a wireless, motion-activated camera to tie to a tree outside my house at night, to protect the area where I park my car. I want to capture images of anyone walking on the sidewalk side of the car (parked along the street in front of my house) between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM each day (I realize I will have to manually put the thing up and take it down each night/morning). We've got an "acid vandal" in Lancaster, PA who is walking around at night, along the sidewalks, and spraying a paint-dissolving acid at the passenger-side of cars parked along the street. He hits about a dozen cars at a time, and usually in the very late night/very early morning hours. He goes from block to block, working an area near my home, and this has been going on for about 2 years. So far, he's done about $400,000 worth of damage to cars.

I plan to put the camera up on a tree, facing the sidewalk where I park my car, and with the view of the street blocked by my car. Ideally, this will capture pictures of anyone on the sidewalk itself without being triggered by passing cars. Yes? Is that possible? Are these things able to be locked somehow to the tree, or could the vandal literally just rip it off the tree and take it with him?

Advice please.

A wired camera with the wires going into the house is not possible for a variety of reasons. I already have all the basics covered like having spotlights, yes spotlights, on the side of my house that point at my car and light up the area around the car and the sidewalk. I lock the doors. I don't have anyhting visible in the car, etc. I'm covering the basics, now I need to add picture-taking.

Ps. The cops claim that they're doing everything they can to help find this guy, but I suspect it is actually a cop on the City police force who is doing this. He's literally hiding in plain site.
Old August 24, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
nbkky71

Not really rifle related...

but check out http://www.x10.com for wireless cameras