The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
ky hunter

duck

I was thinking about a new 12 Gage auto to duck hunt with using 3.5 shells. My ? is which one to look at. Performance is a must I will be hunting from a boat to a mud pit and pop open blinds in the Field. Performance over price. Ever one that owns one saids theirs is one to buy.Let me hear your story?
Old December 16, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2
oneounceload

Not that I think you'll ever need a 3-1/2" for duck, but the Beretta A400 Xplor with the Kick Off system is rugged design that handles everything from my light 3/4oz reloads to 3-1/2" goose loads. New gas system design is simpler and more rugged and easier to clean than from the previous 39X series of guns.

Benelli would also be one to consider - I have only fired one a few times, but they were reliable. The inertia system doesn't help as much with felt recoil as a gas system, but they are also easy to clean
Old December 16, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Doyle

The Benelli guns are tough to beat, but they are recoil operated so you won't get a lot of recoil reduction. The Winchester SX series is gas operated with the ease of cleaning of a recoil action. The new SX3 is a sweet looking gun and it comes in two configurations - one for 2 3/4 to 3" shells and one for 3 to 3 1/2" shells.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Scubasimmons

Agreed that you'll never need 3.5" shells for duck. Probably not for Goose either, but I do like slinging a little extra stuff in the air.

Why does the Bennelli need to come in two configurations? My Browning which shoots 3.5" shells handles 2 3/4" shells without any problems?
Old December 16, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Doyle

I don't know about the Benelli in 2 configurations but the Winchester that I was mentioning comes in two size configurations because gas-operated actions tend to be picky about a wide range of loads. It is hard to design an action that is stiff enough for the super-mags but also soft enough for the light target loads without having to change port sizes, springs, etc.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:58 AM   #6
oneounceload

Which is why I find the A400 amazing - I reload soft 3/4oz reloads - most gas guns won't cycle them, this gun does. It was designed for 3-1/2 loads as well without having to change anything
Old December 16, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Deerhunter

Ok so I was shooting ducks and geese with a Remington 870 Express Mag. It was good but I decided to make it me permanent slug gun for deer. I just got a Browning Maxus. So far I love it. The camo finish is great. I have the 28 in barrel 3.5 inch chamber version.

I was out duck and goose hunting in PA with some guys that were shooting Remington SP-10s..3.5 inch shells. Those guys could hit ducks and geese way further out than I could shooting 3 inch shells.

The felt recoil of the Maxus is really low. The gun is light. We walk about 1000 yards across a field to get to the small patch of woods to get to the blind. Every bit of weight counts. I found that the Maxus was lighter than all the other guns I was looking at (Benelli SBEII, Remington 11-87 and the Berettas). I am happy with mine.

Good luck with you choice
Old December 16, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Doyle

Oneounceload, you got me curious about the A400 so I just tabbed out and did some reading on it. Dang, I'm impressed. The only thing I didn't like was that I don't see it offered with a composite stock. Banging around in a wet boat, I'd prefer a dedicated waterfowl gun to have a composite stock.

The only other downside was that I don't happen to have $1,400 laying around to pick up one.
Old December 16, 2010, 02:48 PM   #9
oneounceload

I am surprised they do not offer a synthetic stock as this is intended as a field gun (though my wife uses it for sporting clays -hence the 3/4 oz reloads) for the reasons you mentioned - water, banged around, etc. Maybe they figure this is more for pheasant guys than duck hunters since they have the 391 Urika, or most likely, they just haven't gotten around to putting a camo stock on it yet. They are about a year behind in bringing out the sporting version and the 20 gauge version
Old December 16, 2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Deerhunter

Like I mentioned if your going to be beating it around in the boat and blind check out the Browning Maxus. The finish is awesome.

We had the local Game Warden stop by this past Saturday. He is real cool. We met him last year and I have seen him twice since. I am sure he has seen his share of shotguns in the duck blinds. Anyway, he checked out mine and really liked it. He was playing with it for a bit. Ducks weren't flying anyway so we stood and talked to him for like 30 minutes.
Old December 16, 2010, 06:05 PM   #11
seansean1444

H&R semi autos will never serve you wrong. they may not be pretty but they are built like tanks
Old December 16, 2010, 06:11 PM   #12
ky hunter

I like to read post about shotgunner using something beside oo buck and shooting at bg from ten feet. Have you ever tried to eat one after you shoot them . So thanks for keeping this post to the ? about hunting something worth eating.Please keeping them coming.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:31 PM   #13
baltz526

I use a couple older gas operated autos. Remington 1100, workhorse for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. And a Browning gold 10ga. I would look at the Browning Maxus as the first choice for a new auto. Light and robust, with all shell capability in a light recoiling gas auto. Neat camo also.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:34 PM   #14
FALacy

A400 xplor.
Old December 17, 2010, 12:36 AM   #15

You can't go wrong with a Benelli super black eagle II