The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Should penalties be levied for resurrecting old, inactive threads?
Yes 1 20.00%
No 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 1, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1
JimmyR

Zombie threads

I keep seeing people commenting on threads that are years old, and just tonight one that was 13 years old. I know there is the little check box that tells people they are replying to an old thread, but it doesn't seem to stop anybody.

I propose a change to the rules of the forum, stipulating that commenting on a thread that qualifies as inactive (perhaps more than 1 year old) without adding new information should be subject to penalties ranging from an infraction to a 30 day suspension, at the mods discretion. I think adding penalties will help keep the clutter down and make the mods job easier.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 1, 2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Doyle

The problem is that newbies start reading stuff (perhaps found on a search) and don't know what they are doing. The penealy wouldn't help. What we need is a forum software solution that required a certain action to deliberately post to an old thread.

For the "recently dead" threads, I'd like a pop-up that told the user he was responding to an old thread (and give the rules) and he'd have to click YES to continue. For "really dead" threads, I'd have them locked so that the responder would have to request a mod to unlock them in order to add something new.
Old July 1, 2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR
...commenting on a thread that qualifies as inactive (perhaps more than 1 year old) without adding new information should be subject to penalties ranging from an infraction to a 30 day suspension, at the mods discretion. I think adding penalties will help keep the clutter down and make the mods job easier.
Actually, I don't think it would keep the clutter down. As Doyle notes, it's almost entirely a new-member thing, and people don't necessarily memorize the rules when they join. In fact, it would probably make our job just a bit harder, in that we'd have to issue infractions in addition to closing the threads. And I'm not fond of issuing infractions to new members just because they did something dumb.

As to whether the pop-up warning is effective -- things might be much worse without it.

But we do appreciate it when members report necro-threads.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:05 AM   #4
zxcvbob

We're constantly telling people to use the search box before starting a new thread. And then when they do and reply to an old one, they get yelled at for that. What do you want?
Old July 1, 2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Jo6pak

It's a double edged sword. Some people complain when the same question is asked over and over. When a member uses the search function they may bring up an old thread and still need a bit of clarification after reading through it. So why not keep all the information under the same thread titile instead of starting a new one?

There have been times when I remedy a situation I asked about in an old thread that I started a while ago. I usually post how and what the fix was and thank those who gave advice or information.

Hitting new members with infractions only discourages them from being active in discussions and leaving TFL.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:37 AM   #6
dgerwin11

I am a moderator on a pipe smoking forum. There is an "Newbie, Ask The Old Farts" section. The rules are simple. Any question is allowed. OFs are not allowed to either give irrelevant answers or tell the newbie to use search. At least it might reduce the "clutter".

Personally, I am pleased so see some zombie threads revived. It tells me someone is searching for more information. And new members serve to keep the forum vital and refreshed.

Just my 2 cents.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
BarryLee

I will admit to being a little irritated a few times after reading a couple of pages and realizing the thread is from 2010. However, I’ve learned if a thread has multiple pages the first thing I do is check the date of the OP before reading very much. I may skip to the most recent post and see if it’s interesting if not I simply move on. Occasionally an old thread will be restarted with new information, but at the end of the day it’s up to each person to decide what’s interesting to them.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Sorry, but we don't make changes to the board's policies based on polls. Though some may wish it to be, TFL isn't a democracy.

Is resurrecting an old thread really that big of a problem? As several here have stated, we sometimes chastise new members (and some old ones) when they don't do a search and ask an old, perhaps tiresome, question. Yet when they do the search, the odds are fairly good that the thread they find on the subject they are interested in is over a year old.

There are several courses of action to take when you spot a "zombie" thread:
a) Ignore it and move on.
b) Post in it with any new information you may have for the member.
c) Report it to the moderators so that it can be closed if the resurrecting post is of no value, and the thread should never have been brought back up.

Please note that ridiculing the member in the thread is not one of the above choices. It never is a good choice for anything here.
Old July 1, 2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
For the "recently dead" threads, I'd like a pop-up that told the user he was responding to an old thread (and give the rules) and he'd have to click YES to continue. For "really dead" threads, I'd have them locked so that the responder would have to request a mod to unlock them in order to add something new.
We already have that, it looks like this:

The trouble is, any good solution requires that threads are able to be resurrected for good cause and not for poor cause. The only such solution requires that the person doing the resurrecting has a modicum of common sense.

For all intents and purposes, someone who clicks a box that effectively says "I understand that this person asked about which rifle he should buy 14 years ago but I'd like to still offer an opinion." is not going to be dissuaded by another level of bureaucracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldThread.JPG (25.6 KB, 123 views)
Old July 1, 2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Doyle

Brian, that is the pop-up I'd use for a "recently dead" thread. Anything dead over a longer period of time (I'd vote for one year) would require a mod to unlock.
Old July 1, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

The software does not allow for locking threads older than a predetermined length of time. It would have be done manually, and we aren't going to do that.
Old July 1, 2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Jim567

What is the problem with history?
Zombie threads seem like a non issue.
Complaining about them seems to me like one is just looking for something to complain about.
Old July 1, 2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Anything dead over a longer period of time (I'd vote for one year) would require a mod to unlock.
Understood. I think the general consensus is that it's really a non-issue. Resurrection of threads for no good reason really isn't a major problem. It's not like trying to stop people from posting dirty pictures or something.

It's not much worse than people bringing up the same suggestions over and over again in Site Questions, like auto-locking old threads.
Old July 1, 2014, 11:36 PM   #14
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
Actually, I don't think it would keep the clutter down. As Doyle notes, it's almost entirely a new-member thing, and people don't necessarily memorize the rules when they join. In fact, it would probably make our job just a bit harder, in that we'd have to issue infractions in addition to closing the threads. And I'm not fond of issuing infractions to new members just because they did something dumb.

As to whether the pop-up warning is effective -- things might be much worse without it.

But we do appreciate it when members report necro-threads.
I really don't like the idea of infractions either, but I guess I was having a hard time thinking of a better solution. As mods have told me in the past, a basic infraction isn't a big deal, but it does help keep you from breaking rules repeatedly, and being more thoughtful with your posting. Perhaps making the "old thread" notification more prominent would be one solution, but I was trying to think of things that could be somewhat easily implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob
We're constantly telling people to use the search box before starting a new thread. And then when they do and reply to an old one, they get yelled at for that. What do you want?
When a 3 year old post is resurrected, let's add new information, either in changes to an active court case, recall, legislative push, or range report on an intended purchase. Just add something relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
Sorry, but we don't make changes to the board's policies based on polls. Though some may wish it to be, TFL isn't a democracy.
I understand, and such was not my intent. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way, and based on the poll, I guess I am.

From all appearances, it's just a me thing. My apologies to any who I may have unintentionally offended. Mods, feel free to close this.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 2, 2014, 06:35 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Truly, it's not that big of a problem.

Sometimes bringing a zombie thread back to life is appropriate, sometimes not.

If you find a zombie post that should have stayed dead, simply click the Report Post button and go on your merry way. A member of staff will look at it and determine what needs to be done with it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread