The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2013, 03:27 PM   #1
parsley.farm

barrel sleeves

I've seen barrel sleeves for ".36" -navy caliber guns so that cartridges are accurate...First off, how is the sleeve "fastened" inside the barrel? And is there a way to do it so as there is no 'separation' between the sleeve and the barrel? i.e I don't want to see it when photographing the end of the muzzle.

pfmp
"You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies." -Steve Martin
Old March 1, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

680 Loctite some G/Smiths use for that purpose. .004 to .006 th. under/bore is required for Redman liner to fit correctly. As far as noticing a bore liner at the end of a barrel crown area. That's a good question Sir. I guess it is what it turns out to be.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 1, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Trued, polished, and blued... invisible.

(It is an old armory assembly phrase and means to be "assembled", "finished", and "stamped with inspectors marks" BTW).

Sort of like making something "Lock, Stock, and Barrel"

Willie

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; March 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Art's Gramma Rule
Old March 3, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Bishop Creek

I have a .36 cal Remington 1858 model with the barrel sleeved to .357 and it works great. Using an R&D conversion cylinder, I can fire .38 Special and .38 Long and Short Colt without using a hollowbase bullet. I shoot store bought "Cowboy" loads of smokeless cartridges and hand loaded black powder cartridges through it. You barely notice the the sleeve at the end of the muzzle. I'll try and post a pic later.

Tags
barrel , conversion , navy , sleeve