The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2002, 11:29 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

Fin stabilized discarding sabot 12 gauge slugs

Has anyone used the Fin stabilized discarding sabot slugs from Sauvestre? http://www.sauvestre.com/index_us.htm

I'm interested in their reliability and accuracy and if they're a better choice than a brenneke slug.

(i currently use remington slugs because i have them.they're also green, which is a nice contrast with my federal tactical buckshot, but I need to find brenneke slugs and zero my gun with them.)

Should I get the FSDS slugs or buy brenneke slugs?
Old July 7, 2002, 12:34 AM   #2
Zorro

Armor Piercing Slug?
Old July 7, 2002, 04:50 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First I've heard about them...

Looking over the site, I note that the target shown is not actual size, but around half scale. If so, I'm getting better accuracy from my two slug shooters(one smoothbore)with the KO Brenneke.

Also, the fragmentation they're so proud of will reduce penetration on heavier game. Too bad, looks like very good Sectional Density.

OTOH, there's no ineffective 12 gauge slugs.

Andrew, buy both and see how they do in YOUR shotgun. That's the only way to know for sure.

If you do use these, how about a T&E? Thanks...

Last edited by Dave McC; July 7, 2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old July 7, 2002, 07:02 AM   #4
dfaugh

Interesting concept...Curious as to why the "bullet" isn't more aerodynamic, given the freedom allowed when using a sabot...Hope someone can test some, see what they do

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 7, 2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Andrew Wyatt

I sent an email in to the company asking who stocks their slugs.

I'll most assuredly T&E these slugs once i can find some.
Old July 7, 2002, 08:19 PM   #6
Shawn Dodson

I tested both the standard and magnum loadings a couple of years ago, using my 12-gauge Remington 870, w/18.5" cylinder choke barrel and rifle sights. At 100 yards, accuracy was considerably worse than standard Foster slugs.

I tried chonographing velocity but the sabot halves wiped out two of my skyscreens. (I knew I was risking equipment damage, but figured, "eh, what the heck -- I might get lucky.")

Shot some through two plates of heavy sheet metal, which was meant to simulate a car door. It easily penetrated without deflection on angled shots.

The slugs are about .45 caliber in diameter. I can't remember the weight. The cartridge roughly turns a shotgun into a .45-70.

Neat concept but they didn't work for me.
Old July 7, 2002, 09:36 PM   #7
hksigwalther

I had tried them, non-mag IIRC, in two 5 round strings. One string with a rifled choke through an 11/87 (26"bbl), the other improved choke. In both cases, the groups were much larger than the Remington Sluggers I normally shoot through (improved). I can usually get 2-3 MOA with the Sluggers on calm days.
Old July 7, 2002, 11:29 PM   #8
Andrew Wyatt

Where did you guys acquire your sauvestre rounds from? are they stocked locally?

I'm probably going to expand my test somewhat, and go ahead and build some sections of interior wall, some car door sectioons, and possibly some automobile glass.

I'll see if i can find around 30 rounds of each of several kinds of popular smoothbore slug ammunition, like remington, brenneke,winchester,sauvestre,etc. and test them for accuracy, reliability abd perforation of barriers.

After looking at the brenneke website, I noticed that they make a reduced recoil slug load. I'm thinking that's the hot slug setup.

I'll have to shoot it in my guin to see how well it groups.
Old July 8, 2002, 11:49 AM   #9
hksigwalther

I frequent a forum much like TFL but centered around cars. One of the posters has close ties to Keng's. He sent me a couple boxes to try out. Don't know here he gets them. IIRC, he and his brother, who runs Keng's, frequent the European gun trade shows so I'm sure they get them direct.
Old December 22, 2004, 11:01 PM   #10
mikemes

sauvestre silver plus sabotd

sauvestre sabots, silver plus. shot them for years, from century arms, the most accurate shotgun slug made out of a smooth bore. period! 17oo plus MV, average 5 rounds in a small pie plate @180 yds mossberg 590 with rifle sights. Have a couple of boxes left and been shooting them out of my saiga, they work great. been hunting them for a year now,since century no longer imports them. if you find them let me know.
Old December 22, 2012, 05:52 AM   #11
TSH77769

I think it may be possible that the silver arrow slugs, being purpose built for long range have not properly stabilized at teh range for which people are caliming poor accuracy. It would be interesting to specify what ranges they are getting what accuracy at. It would be most intersting to see if the groups expanded or shrank and at what ranges.

Tsh77769
Old December 23, 2012, 02:50 AM   #12
shortwave

TSH77769,
I'm thinking you may be correct about people overstating the accuracy distance of the Sauvestre slugs but you do realize you have resurrected a thread started in 2002 and last posted on in 2004.