The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 11, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
jasmith85

Midway USA shipping price increase?

I decided to buy some 10mm ammunition today and went to Midway USA because I didn't want a lot and their shipping costs usually aren't too bad with small orders unlike most ammunition sites. I added my two boxes of ammo and went to the checkout and my shipping was almost $20. I removed one of the boxes to see a single box's shipping costs and it was just over $16 plus a $3 handling fee. I checked my receipts from my last two orders to make sure I hadn't paid this and didn't realize it before but no I had not. The shipping fee for my last two orders were $8 and $9 excluding the $3 handling fee. The $8 one was the same size and the $9 one was for three boxes. I assume this means that they have essentially doubled what they charge for shipping small orders of ammunition. Their ammunition prices are already higher than cheaper than dirt but until now the difference in shipping on small orders was enough to make up for it. It looks like they have made a greedy business decision that has lost them a customer.

Sorry I just felt like ranting about this. Are there any websites left that don't kill you with shipping on small orders? I can't find 10mm in my area and 357 Sig is rare so when I need either of them I am forced to shop online.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Sparks1957

Don't shop at Midway for ammo... there are plenty of other places with comparable prices and cheaper shipping.

Before I started reloading, I was a big fan of ammoman.com (free shipping) and sgammo.com (reasonable shipping). Of course, it helps if you buy in quantity too.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
chiefr

I have always been a Midway fan, however I agree with you on their high shipping fees. I rarely order from them any more.
Try Graf and Sons. They have a flat rate shipping fee of $5.95 on internet orders.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
geetarman

Try. Ammoman.

I have bought from them before and will have 1000 rds 124 gr 9mm at my door for $269 on Friday.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 11, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
DnPRK

Midwayusa charges an additional fee if your merchandise total is less than $25.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Master Blaster 2

Shipping prices are going up..just like diesel and gasoline...noticed it has went up since the election?
Old November 12, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7
wayneinFL

I like MidwayUSA, but as others have said, there are cheaper places for ammo. Northwest Loading Supply used to charge a flat fee for shipping me bullets. They got their money's worth out of a USPS flat rate box, that's for sure.

High prices for ammo and shipping is one reason I started reloading. If I cast bullets and buy primers and powder in bulk from sellers at an area IPSC match, I can load for handguns very, very cheaply.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Jbotto

I use Midway alot for research, as they have a great informative/helpful website. So I do business with them as kind of a thank you, but I do spread out my business to Midsouth and Graf's to support good companies.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
gaseousclay

Quote:
Shipping prices are going up..just like diesel and gasoline...noticed it has went up since the election?
no one has control over the rise in oil/gas prices. gas has actually gone down about .50-.60 cents compared to about a month ago
Old November 13, 2012, 06:59 PM   #10
rebs

Recently I have found higher prices on merchandise also from Midway not just the shipping. I have found some cheaper prices and cheaper shipping from Midsouth Shooters Supply
Old November 14, 2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

What?

Two off this, three off this.

Are you in the retailer business?

To me it's sounds like you hit the "enter" button you and changed you mind.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:40 AM   #12
jem375

try underwood.com good prices
Old November 16, 2012, 10:20 AM   #13
rebs

I added items to my midway shopping cart that totaled 244.00 and then clicked check out, as soon as I did another window popped open and showed two of my items on sale for$1.00 off one item and $4.00 off another item and then it wouldn't accept the discount code because two items were on sale. Was it coincidence or do they do that to avoid the discount ? Anyway I emptied my cart and ordered nothing.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
DFrame

I avoid midway if possible. I find their shipping and handling charges to be excessive, and they have some strange ideas about what is legal to ship to Illinois. They once refused to ship a black powder revolver. They not only refused to ship to me, but also refused to ship it to my FFL.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:54 PM   #15
kgillard

Midway shipping sucks!

Today, I ordered two "Gate Detent Springs" for my Ruger Vaqueros. Price at MidwayUSA was $7.59 each, totalling $15.18. Then they added $4.00 shipping/postage and a $3.00 "Special Handling" fee adding to an additional $7.00. Total charge.....$22.18.

At first I wasn't going to say anything, but that is absurd, ridiculous, and probably bordering illegal. Any of you familiar with these springs know that together, they don't weigh 1/2-ounce. They can be shipped in an envelope with a $ .44 stamp (and arrive just as fast).

The "Special Handling" fee of $3.00. Could somebody explain that to me? What's it for? Taking it off the shelf and putting it in the envelope? Isn't that what they're already getting paid for?

Sorry guys, but it just ****** me off after I started thinking about my order. From now on, I'll pay $10.00 more to anyone that carries the parts I need just not to do business with MidwayUSA.

You'd think that after Mr. Potterfield screws you that hard, he'd at least send a free kiss!!
Old November 27, 2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Ridge_Runner_5

They explain right there in the order window that they charge the extra fee on the small orders so they can keep shipping prices down on bigger orders.

If it annoys you that much, you can either not purchase there, deal with the $3 fee, or find another $10 worth of items to buy to get rid of it.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Rifleman1776

Years ago I was a big fan and customer of Midway.
No more. Their shipping and 'fees' are exhorbitant. There are other sources out there that ship for less. They claim the high cost of shipping. To which I respond "bull butter". One employee in a mail order warehouse can service scores of customers in one day. One employee working in a retail store can only service maybe a couple dozen, at most. Mail order shipping is much cheaper. Look at Amazon, best deal on the 'net for almost anything.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:32 PM   #18
kgillard

Rifleman1776, I agree with you fully. MidwayUSA has probably seen my last dollar. Not that its gonna hurt them financially or personally, but if enough people do that, it would make a difference.

Ridge Runner 5......
Personally I feel that's bulls**t. They should charge shipping fees accordingly for the items ordered. It is not my responsibility to help them keep costs down on larger orders. If I make the larger order, I'll pay the larger price. And yes, it annoys me and if you bother to read the comments above, I'm not alone. The $3 fee is just a selling ploy to get people to buy what they don't need or want and/or to clear more profit on the sale. So you're right, I will exercise my right to shop somewhere else. MidwayUSA doesn't have anything that someone else doesn't supply.
Old November 28, 2012, 03:48 PM   #19
kgillard

This email concerning an explanation just arrrived:

Thank you for your recent email regarding our shipping costs. I apologize that you feel our shipping is high. MidwayUSA's "Fair & Honest" method of calculating Postage, Handling and Insurance allows Customers to only pay the costs associated with getting their order from MidwayUSA to their door. These charges are calculated based on the destination, method of shipment, number of packages, weight and dimensions of packages, and packing material and labor. This Special Handling fee offsets the higher cost of processing small retail orders (under $25), so that we can continue to give our Customers the best overall pricing in the industry. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at [email protected].
Thanks for Your Business!
Jennifer
MidwayUSA Customer Service

Wheewww, I'd like to use their calculator when I ask my boss for a paycheck.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:36 PM   #20
JayCee

I always compare prices at Midway, Grafs, MidSouth, Natchez and sometimes Cabelas. Cheapest overall cost wins. Generally, Grafs is the winner.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old November 30, 2012, 01:26 PM   #21
Smilin Jack

I just ordered a bolt carrier and a few small parts from PK Firearms and the little half pound package cost $16 to ship. The order was for over $200 so you would think actual shipping cost would apply.....but it looks like higher shipping prices are the wave of the future. What happened to the $10 if it fits it ships Post Office boxes......???? .
History will never record how many men have performed great deeds because they were driven out of their homes by some unbearable trait of their wives, from which they fled, almost joyfully, to face as an alternative peril and even death.
Major John Reid