The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
ELMOUSMC

.22 Hornet velocties

I have a Savage model 40 .22 Hornet that I handload for.I use the Hornady and Hodgdon manuals for my load data.Yesterday I was shooting over a chronograph and I was getting velocities that were 3 or 4 hundred FPS faster than the listed velocities in either manuals-the load is 12.0 grains Li'l gun WW brass,small pistol primers and 34 grain Midway Dogtown Hp bullets
The velocities listed in both manuals is between 2830 fps and 2870 My first 5 shot string averaged 3220 fps and my next string ran an average of 3180 I am wondering if the manuals are going low on the potental velocities or the fact that the loads listed are for 35 grain bullets makes that much of a difference in velocities-I am not seeing any pressure issues at all.Does anyone have any idea what is going on here-the groups are holding tight .5 inch groups at 200 yds
ELMOUSMC
Old May 14, 2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Sensai

My Savage 340 is running 3120 with Sierra 45 gr and 12.5 grains of LilGun. This is almost identical to the 45 grain commercial loads (Serbian made Privi Partisan) that I buy for the brass. I haven't loaded any 34 grainers, though.

Take-offs are optional, landings are manditory!!
Old May 14, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

The 35 grain bullets in the Hornady and Hodgdon manuals are the V-Max. If I remember correctly, the 35 gr V-Max has substantially more bearing surface than the 34 gr DogTown.

....But that shouldn't be the only difference, for such a dramatic disparity in velocity. Is your scale calibrated? Are you reloading with a ceiling fan on or heat/AC vent open?
Old May 14, 2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Loader9

Probably nothing wrong with the scale. I've got a Ruger #1 and a CZ in 22 Hornet and both are busting 3000'ps with the 45 gr Remington HPs and I'm not at max yet on either one. Neither show any signs of pressure on the thinner than paper brass. If you start having split necks after just a couple of firings, you probably are pushing them too hard.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:16 PM   #5
ELMOUSMC

I have scaled my loads and have found that the case holds 12grains or in other words a full case is right at 12 grains.I get 4 or 5 reloads on my brass before I have any case issues.The reason I posted was because of the much higher velocities I was seeing as compared to what the manuals rated the loads at.and was wondering if anyone else had seen the same difference in rated velocities and actual velocities when chronographing a load
ELMOUSMC