The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
mcgee10

Adjusting open sights

My rifle has a step rear sight for adjustment up and down.
I'm shooting a little low and would like to move the sight. I have read many posts and some say move it backwards and some say frontwards well what it it.
Can anyone here help me.
I spend most of my time here reading and learning from other posters here and I have learned a lot.
I'm a open sight shooter, I think using a scope it like shooting your target from 30 feet away. Not much sport in that, and that's just my feeling.
I don't care if you use a scope or not I was just telling you how I go.
The older I get the harder it is for me to see open sight.
I just retired my Marlin 44 mag and replaced it with a Henry Big Boy 44 mag, but I need a little help getting my line of fire up 1 inch.
I have has a golden boy 22 for a few years and it shot dead center right out of the box.
Thanks in advance.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:47 AM   #2
RodTheWrench

You don't specify the distance at which you are an inch low, but if you want your point of impact to come up, move the rear sight up one notch (up as in up away from the barrel).

If you're only an inch low at 50 yards, I'd just modify the sight picture a skosh instead of messing with physical adjustments, but that's just me.

HTH,

Rod
Old October 3, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3
mcgee10

1 inch to 1 1/2 inches low at 100 yrds at the gun range. Thanks I get it now.
Old October 3, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
45_auto

Figuring an 18" sight radius on your Henry, that means you will need to raise the rear sight .005" (five thousandths of an inch) to make the point of impact 1" higher at 100 yards.

A human hair or a piece of paper is typically about .003" (three thousandths of an inch) as a point of reference.
Old October 3, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
mcgee10

So with no adjustment being able to be made without a dial indicater on my rear blade this will be harder than I thought.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:16 AM   #6
cecILL

You're overthinking this, just move it and see what happens.
Old October 4, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Roughedge

What they are trying to say is unless you have very fine adjustment on your sight its not worth moving them. If you raise the rear sight up a notch most likely it will shot high so you will have to aim low . 1 to 11/2 is not bad for iron sight at 100 yds.
Old October 5, 2013, 05:37 AM   #8
mcgee10

Thanks everyone.
Moved it over once and up once dam near perfect. At 100 yards most all the shots are in a tennis ball radius and after 200 shots the circle was about removed.
Old October 5, 2013, 07:46 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
At 100 yards most all the shots are in a tennis ball radius and after 200 shots the circle was about removed.
You may be able to shrink that 100 yard group-size somewhat by testing to see how different brands and styles of ammo shoot in your gun. Almost always it has been found that the best accuracy will come from a particular ammo. In the old days, we bought one box (50 rounds) each of each brand of standard velocity .22 ammo until we found what the gun liked. In those days, standard velocity L.R. ammo was generally available from each maker (as well as "High Velocity"), and was always cheaper. Nowadays that is not the case. They will offer "high Velocity" and "Target", with the "Target" likely being the "Standard Velocity" albeit at a higher price.