The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Thinking about buying an EAA Witness Compact 40S&W

I think I ran across a good deal on an EAA Witness compact 40S&W. I really don't know much about the newer EAA witness. I'm considering buying it but I just like to get some input from people who know about them, or have them, or just shot them.

I know they have 12 round magazines and I know they have a 3.5 inch barrelright and that the older models are a CZ clone.
It's used only had 10 rounds through it and they never cleaned off the factory grease.

By the time it is said and done I have only $200 in the gun with 40 rounds of ball ammo and 20 rounds of hollow point.

Anyone know anything about their reliability, how much they go for used, how do they feel and shoot. Sites, trigger, accuracy and recoil?

I'm also looking at a Tanfalio 9mm fullsize all metal, the cz clones. I really like these but i am not sure he wants to part with it.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Babychief

Slide

Have you tried to cycle the slide yet? It is so small i grab the frame and the trigger guard gets in way of primary hand and makes support hand feel awkward, if your set on E.A.A. Tanfoglio custom/gold is an awesome choice.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Japle

Before you buy any EAA Witness, Google "EAA" and "customer service".

As long as the gun doesn't need work, you're fine. If you need service, I wish you luck.
You'll need it.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
mmb713

Tanfoglio makes decent guns and sells them for not a lot of money. Their importer, EAA, has gotten a bad reputation but there are plenty of good stories about their CS too. Since you are buying used the gun's lifetime warranty is void (lifetime of original owner) so you needn't fret about EAA's CS. Tanfoglio's Elite series pistols are fantastic and their regular line are usually very good shooters. Like the CZ75 they are cloned from, they are very ergonomic. I have two Matches and two of their polymer guns. From what you describe it sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Shoot it first if you can. The only problem I could foresee is maybe the magazines might give you some feeding issues, Tanfo mags have been known for that. The fix is to buy Mec-Gar mags.

Sights on the service grade pistols are three dot, with the rear adjustable for windage and the front sight part of the slide. Accuracy is generally above average. Triggers are serviceable and there are smiths out there that can work on them if needed or desired. Recoil compared with comparable sized pistols is usually less due to the lower bore axis of the slide-in-frame design.

It sounds like you are getting a good deal. Check it over really good before buying and if it looks good and it's the type of gun you want I'd jump on it.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 7, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Not necessary
Old September 6, 2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Kev

An EAA for the price of a Hi-Point?
No brainer..

I have a Tangfolio MAPP1 but through Armscor. Same type of slide that rides on an inner frame rail, thus cutting down on slide grip area, but its liveable..
Old September 7, 2013, 05:21 AM   #6
IdahoG36

For $200 I would jump on it. The Witness line is pretty decent.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
oldandslow

wreck, 9/8/13

I have the .45acp EAA compact and full size. I had reliability problems with the compact but the full-size ran fine. Both the compact and the full-size suffered frame and slide cracking at round counts 0f 3000 with standard pressure ammo. EAA refused to honor their "lifetime warranty" due to the pistols being hard-chromed because of corrosion issues. As Japle said above do some research on EAA and Customer Servie and you'll find many horror stories. This issue seems to be mainly with the standard pistols and not their higher end lines. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old September 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Well guys the deal fell through anyway. He got a better offer on the Compact 40 Polymer. He wants to keep the Tangfolio (the one I really liked ).

At least he is happy and I have a few others on my list anyway. On to the next one.

I appreciate all of your advice.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:38 PM   #9

Your better off. Go to GB and look for 3rd gen smith