The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 23, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Taking wife shooting for the first time--which guns?

Background:
Wife grew up with brothers who had guns, but she never shot them and knows nothing really about them.

I have:
.38/357 Snubby with Crimson Trace grip
9mm Kahr with Crimson Trace Grip
.45 compact
40/.357 sig

Should I just work up the size and have her shoot all calibers? Should I disable the crimson trace grips? Should I just rent a full size 9mm?

I have a shotgun and AR too but I'm thinking, should those be left out until another time?
Old August 23, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
P5 Guy

None of the above if I had to choose the 38SPL with mild target wad cutters. If the AR15 is a full sized and can be adjusted for LOP my second choice would be that.
Do you have access to an air pistol?
Before learning to manage recoil the student should be well versed in safety, sight alignment and trigger control. Just my opinion.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

www.corneredcat.com - By our Pax - the site for this question. Read it before you get the advice ranging from a 22 to 38 to 12 gauge to atomic cannon!
Old August 23, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
MikeGoob

Thanks for the input! I do plan on spending time at home first, learning the gun controls and safety PRIORITY NUMBER 1!

So rent a 22 first?
Old August 23, 2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Waspinator

Go to a range that rents and either rent a 4"+ 22lr revolver or a 4"+ .38 spc in a gp100/686 like size frame gun. Revolvers are a lot easier to manipulate and will have her worrying less about the function and focussed more on the fun of shooting. My wife really enjoyed fioring .38 specials out of the S&W 686 we rented. Big enough boom to thrill her, but tame enough not to scare her with the heft of the frame it was fired from.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
BigJimP

Keep it simple ...and make sure she has fun....and you'll be fine.

Sure, rent a .22 .../ let her shoot it ...( I'd probably leave the .40S&W, .357 Sig and .45 acp out of it for now )....

.22 / soft loads in a revolver in .38 spl is good / 9mm can be good...it depends on what fits her hands ( not your hands )....but keep the recoil to an absolute minimum / double up her ear plugs and ear muffs...
Old August 23, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
MikeGoob

Does the kind of target matter? Silhouette or something pretty?
Old August 23, 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
g.willikers

My better half is just about a sharp shooter.
(Due to my expert tutilage, natcherly).
She learned the basics in the privacy of our home with airguns.
No big boomers making her jump.
Or having to look over her shoulder worrying if she's going to break a range rule and get yelled at.
When she was completely comfortable and competent with the airguns, we then went over the workings of her new .22.
And the range rules for our local club.
When she was comfortable and competent with that, then we went to the range.
There, wearing double ear protection to reduce flinching at all the racket, she proceeded, over the following couple of months, to work her way up to 9mm, with ease and confidence.
Now, she can shoot just about any handgun very well.
But she still prefers her dot scoped .22, and is scary accurate with it.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:11 PM   #9
P5 Guy

Dirty bird or something reactive if you can.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
g.willikers

Yes, my better half is easily bored with paper targets, so we use a bunch of different steel swingers and knockdowns, along with clay birds mounted on cardboard backers.
The Birchwood Casey World of Targets aren't expensive and work great.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

If you can rent or borrow a .22, start there. I also find that reactive targets (like a steel dueling tree) goes a long way towards engaging a new shooter.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
TailGator

Quote:
Go to a range that rents and either rent a 4"+ 22lr revolver or a 4"+ .38 spc in a gp100/686 like size frame gun.
Those are good starting places. A full-sized 9 mm is also an easy gun for most people to shoot.

Quote:
Revolvers are a lot easier to manipulate and will have her worrying less about the function and focused more on the fun of shooting
I have been married for 30 years and raised two lovely daughters to adulthood. They all shoot semis fine and much prefer them to revolvers. Women operate lots of things more complicated than semi-automatic handguns, and have just as much aptitude for learning about firearms as men.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Sevens

Okay, maybe my advice sounds a tiny bit extreme, but it's quite simply that I'm not in to spending money poorly. What I mean is... I think it's a travesty to have a small cache of handguns and to not own a .22LR chambered handgun among them.

For new shooters, absolutely. And for long seasoned shooters -- for darn sure.

The amount of skill building and pure joy I get from .22LR handguns is immeasurable.

Thus, I would consider it a royal waste of money to "rent" one of those. Rather, you should buy one.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:36 PM   #14
BigJimP

yes, the target matters !! ( Make Sure She is Having Fun !! )...
Old August 23, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
TimSr

Don't want to develop a recoil flinch before gettings Started!

Nothing beats a 6" revolver with mild loads to build confidence and develop good shooting habits before introducing the flinch factor.

With a 6" barrel she will have more success on paper which will build confidence. 22LR makes a loud bang, but no recoil. The revolver will also seem very simple and uncomplicated to her, again instilling confidence. Then she can work her way up after developing the basics.

I started my very petite wife that way on my Ruger Single Six. her favorite now is my 6" GP100 with .38 target loads in it.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:04 PM   #16
MikeGoob

Thanks for all the advice!
I used to have a .22 long before I met my wife. Mostly my collection slimmed down to be for CCW and my use only. Hopefully we'll get her into the habit soon
Old August 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #17
NRAInstructor

I agree with a .22. A Buckmark or Ruger MK whatever, or a .22 revolver (Rough Rider?) everyone needs a .22. With a revolver you can start her with .22longs which don't even need ear covers, have no kick and are more fun than a bb gun. A buckmark will last a lifetime.

.38 snubs have a pretty sharp recoil. A FS nine is ok for someone who isn't afraid of the noise. I believe most females can handle a .45, but it is a move up gun after they havesome training. NRA tries to start people with .22's.

The AR is also a great option. Low recoil, fun to shoot. Safer to shoot. Of your current guns I'd probably start there.

Do you know any shooting couples? Another girl makes it fun for new women, gives someone to relate to other than just being dragged to the range by hubby.

Or get a video camera and give her a .500 Smith and post the fun on youtube! Do it that is if you wanted a divorce.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #18
MikeGoob

LOL no I want her to get into shooting! not divorce me!

We might get her sister to come along but she is more afraid of guns for some reason.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #19
MLeake

My wife is somewhat sensitive to noise, and prefers outdoor locations to indoor locations due to the lower noise levels outside. (Reduced echo, increased attenuation.)

She is also competitive by nature, and relatively new to shooting, so she prefers to shoot when others are not around to watch her.

Your wife may not be affected by either factor, but you might want to verify.

Meanwhile, I agree with the advice to check pax's website, and with the advice to use guns that afford max controllability for your wife, with min recoil / flash / bang.
Old August 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #20
jimbob86

Another vote for a .22 pistol and some reactive targets.

This time of year, crab apples are plentiful, free, and explode when hit with .22lr.

Hedge apples (Osage Orange fruit) are available in the plains states ...... I remember shooting them as a kid ..... along with milkweed and yucca pods .....

Clay pidgeons are fairly cheap, and fun to shoot for new shooters ......

After Easter every year, we have an Easter Egg Hunt, using leftover dyed Easter Eggs ......

Use your imagination ......
Old August 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #21
ranchito457

A couple of years ago I took my wife shooting for the first time.
After a day of shooting my 1911's and other 45's she said she liked it but wasn't really her thing.It took me about a year to get her back to the range but by then I had learned from my mistake.This time it was 3-22's-2 with optics and a 9mm that stayed in my gun bag.wouldn't you know it she's with me at the range twice a month from then on and even has her own guns now.The first time I didn't do it on purpose she invited herself as i was walking out the door and already had my range bag packed.
My point start her off small and let her work her own self up at her own pace.
Old August 23, 2013, 04:28 PM   #22
ChrisTx

I went through all this with my wife. She does not like .45s or revolvers. Her favorite is my Beretta 92, and the gun she chose as a carry gun is a fat SCCY 9mm, but I think she may move down to a S&W Bodyguard at the gun show tomorrow.

She likes the bigger grips, because of her initial fear that the gun would jump out of her hand. She liked 9mm because the recoil was a little less. Now, she has overcome a lot of her initial fears, and developed her own preferences beyond what they were initially.

I would try and rent a full size 9mm and run the 147 grain rounds through it. You could take some of the other guns, and as she gets more comfortable, let her pick which ones to try out.
Old August 23, 2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Revoltella

Full sizes.38 or 9mm. If she'sn going to shoot a semi, make sure she's not wearing a low cut top. Nothing like a piece of hot brass in the cleavage.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:32 PM   #24
MLeake

Had that happen to a gf one time; I had advised her to wear a t-shirt and closed shoes. She insisted on a v-neck camisole and slingbacks.

Brass in the cleavage, and brass on the instep.... but she kept the muzzle safely down range, and took her finger off the trigger, as she hopped around and fished it out.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:37 PM   #25
jimbob86

My niece got a hot piece of brass down the shirt last time out ..... she's been shooting for several years now, and should have known better.