The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 29, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
pjp74

The Best Defense

Does anyone else watch "The Best Defense" on Wednesday night on Outdoor channel. I figured I would post this just in case some of you were not aware of it. It comes on every Wednesday night from 6:30 to 7:00pm and again at 10:30 to 11:00 pm on Outdoor Channel, its part of Midway USA's Wednesday night at the range. Every week they take a new scenario, last night was flash mobs, always have some good tactics and training advice on there, I've never seen it posted on here before, if it has been posted before, sorry.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
BikeNGun1974

It's in its 3rd or 4th season now, I think. I know that some people disagree with their tactics, but I really like the show's focus on awareness and that they try to bring up situations to make people think about them.

I try to remember that a lot of people own guns but neither train with them nor prepare to use them. Not everyone is like the folks here who dutifully practice regularly ;-)

I don't like that this season has been more focused on knife fighting. I know it's Janich's big thing, but it's not mine. My wife and I have been watching it for a while and she used to like to practice the unarmed techniques that they showed (with me as the attacker).
Old March 29, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Marty Hayes

I watch it. I especially like the part on the law at the end of the show.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Striker1

I watch it regularly and find it very informative.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I know that some people disagree with their tactics..
Well especially the idea of being in a workplace, having your gun, and then barricade yourself in the office and LET ALL THE REST DIE.

Yea I do disagree with that one. Can you imagine hearing your friends scream as they are murdered not one cubical away while you hide clutching your gun.

And yes, the knife thing is overdone. Now I like his way of showing different ways of speed opening the knife from the pockets but if have a choice between the knife and a gun, I'll pack the gun.

Deaf
Old March 29, 2012, 10:05 PM   #6
wun_8_seven

Ya that lawyer at the end is not only highly intelligent , but also a striking figure of a man
Old March 30, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

A friend of mine yesterday, said that the lawyer at the end seems to know his stuff. Of course, I boasted that I knew him.

It's a good show. I record it for a leisurely replay.
Old March 30, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
pjp74

Yes, the episode you're speaking of where you're in an office and some disgruntled employee comes in and starts shooting everyone. I don't think I could just sit there and do nothing. And the whole idea of using this bar to barricade the door, uhh i don't know about that one, seems to me unless that desk is anchored into the slab, any decent sized human could push the desk right out of the way.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
rburch

Have the 1st season on dvd, and the hosts seemed to know their stuff.

Granted, I've taken a class under Rob Pincus and due to his computer being murdered, now have a round dozen of his training DVDs.

So I really respect his philosophy on defense.

He was a host for I believe seasons one and two?

I haven't seen the show since he left, but I'm sure they continued to present the situations with the same integrity.

I recommend to first season at least, and have few doubts I'll feel the same about the others after I've seen them.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

I didn't know Marty was a lawyer. Is he?

Deaf
Old March 31, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Yes
Old March 31, 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Strange.

It says he holds a law degree, not a lawyer. Did he pass the bar exam?

http://www.firearmsacademy.com/instructors

Deaf
Old March 31, 2012, 06:59 PM   #13
FireForged

I watch it from time to time but it seems a little too intro to SelfDef101 to me. I may be wrong but I just dont think that the primary viewers are noobie gun owners. Its kinda like the car magazines that talk about the top 10 ways to get power out of a chevy small block.... once you have read that one time, its really pretty much the same year after year magazine after magazine.

Last edited by FireForged; April 4, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 2, 2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Marty Hayes

To clarify, I do have a law degree, but I have not bothered to take a bar exam. So, I am actually not a lawyer. I like to tell people "I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV!" Someday I expect to take a bar exam and add the "ESQ" title behind my name, but it is not high on my list of priorities.
Old April 2, 2012, 01:23 PM   #15
ScotchMan

I've been watching it this season. I like it, but I take it with a grain of salt. They seem awfully quick to pull out guns and start shooting people in some of the scenarios. I would probably tend towards drawing and using verbal commands to see where that got me. If I don't see a knife or a gun, I'm going to see if I can get away without firing. Some high percentage of these incidents are resolved without shots fired. That doesn't mean I'd hesitate to fire in the right circumstance, but I can't remember a time they drew and didn't immediately fire.

Also quite tickled to see Marty posting here. That is one of my favorite segments as well. My least favorite is when the producer does an advertisement for Ruger and disguises it as "Concealed Carry Tips."

Also, I've been dying to know what holster and guns are carried by the Mikes on the show. I saw a closeup of Seeklander's M&P on the last episode but at the live fire he was using something different with a stainless slide. I'd like it if they would take a moment to tell us what they carry and why. I notice they both carry appendix, as I do, so I'm interested in what they are using.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Striker1

I think they have a forum where you can discuss the episodes with them.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Rob Pincus

GREAT Show.. totally worth watching. I hosted the first 3 seasons and Seeklander took over as "gun guy" earlier this year.
Old April 17, 2012, 11:23 AM   #18
WW2

I DVR the show so I can watch it...

It is a great show. I miss seeing you Rob! The show even gets the attention of my non-gun wife and daughter. They love to analyze the scenarios shown, critic the "mistakes" made in some of the scenarios, and then figure what they would do!

THAT is worth the time to watch the show as it raises awareness of even non-gun people!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Jeep Driver

Best Defense

Never miss it. Even watch the re-runs
Old April 17, 2012, 03:18 PM   #20
G1R2

I'm interested

in the program "The Best Defense" on Wednesday night on Outdoor channel. But here in South America with our local Direct TV it appears unavailable to us.

Do I just buy the DVD or is there some way to download it from internet?
Old April 17, 2012, 04:18 PM   #21
robmkivseries70

Sounds interesting, are any of these on the WWW? Thanks, Rob
Old April 19, 2012, 05:01 PM   #22
Rob Pincus

Not online, but you can get the DVD sets of the first two seasons at my website.