The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
bigautomatic

diameter of different chokes

Do the inside diameter of chokes/choke tubes vary manufacturer to manufacturer, or is there a standard that they all go by? The reason that I'm asking is that I shot in a turkey shoot (first time) yesterday, and I noticed when the chokes were gauged on all the guns, some were tighter than others. I shot the tightest tube that I had that the guage would fit into, while others claiming to be shooting the same choke barely passed inspection. I don't really care that someone's gun shoots a little tighter than mine, it just sparked a little curriosity in me as to if there is a standard inside measurement or not. I'm guessing not. (I did win a couple of rounds BTW).
Old March 21, 2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Recoiljunky

Bore diamiter for different shotguns of the same gauge are different so a full choke in a mossberg will be different than a full choke in a remy, the chokes are made to that make and models standerd bore diameter
Old March 21, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3
oneounceload

Choke constriction is a relation based on bore diameter.

Hallowell has a nice chart here:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Standard 12 gauge bore diameter is .729.....some go tight at .725, some go very overbore at .740 or .750 - that can make a difference
Old March 21, 2011, 07:58 PM   #4
bigautomatic

Aha. So, If I'm reading this right, the tighter the bore diameter the tighter the choke will be wether it be imp or what have you, correct? And If one was to go out looking for a shotgun with the capabilitiy of accepting a certain inside diameter of a choke tube, measuring the bore diameter would be a good place to start? This may be simple stuff for you guys, but I've got light bulbs poppin' on in my head like crazy about this and love learning no matter the subject, so thanks for being patient with my questions. As I've said before, Im a rifle guy tryin' to be a shotgunner.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:04 PM   #5
oneounceload

Example - .005 constriction from the bore is the standard SKEET designation - if the bore is .729 and the choke makes it .724, it is a SKEET choke.......if the gun is bored at .740 and the choke makes it .735, it is still a SKEET choke - in either case, the constriction is .005, and although the is a .011 difference, they are both SKEET chokes in relation to their bore sizes

HTH
Old March 22, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
bigautomatic

Got it. Thanks again.