The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 24, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1
theliberalgunowner

Ruger M77 .308 and 7.62x51

The Firing Line Friends,

I have recently gotten a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator in .308 and have a question regarding the safety of firing 7.62x51 out of it. The military round is from Federal Premium (XM80220) and I have to wonder if it is worth the risk shooting it anymore through the Ruger, knowing I might cause permanent damage. I know that the Gunsite Scout is chambered for both the .308 and 7.62x51, so this has me believing I could also be overreacting and that Ruger rifles are strong enough to handle the 7.62x51. I have around 90 rounds through the rifle.

Thanks for the information and your opinions, and have an excellent fall season!

Sincerely,

Theliberalgunowner

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton
Old October 25, 2015, 12:34 AM   #2
Scorch

You will not damage the rifle. The 308 Winchester is the 7.62X51 as released to the public. 308 operates at slightly higher pressure nowadays, but not when it was introduced.
Old October 25, 2015, 03:43 AM   #3
stagpanther

This one comes up a lot especially since milsup and combloc bulk ammo is available so frequently. Opinions vary but the consensus seems to be if your weapon is chambered for 308 your GTG with 7.62 x 51.

In general--your 7.62 x 51 stuff is going to have a thicker/stronger case--though externally it has the same dimensions as the "civvie" 308. About the only caveat I can think is if you reload--I'm guessing if you load a compressed 308 charge into the smaller volume milspec 7.62 x 51 case you might get a dangerous spike in pressure due to the smaller volume--and the fact that 308's generally headspace a bit tighter than military use weapons.
Old October 25, 2015, 01:02 PM   #4
cw308

Stagpanther is correct. Federal brass is also a thicker brass, when loading thicker cases drop your listed load by 1. Grain and work from there
Old October 25, 2015, 07:02 PM   #5
theliberalgunowner

Thanks for the information! I have spent a lot of money on this m77 and want to make sure it lasts, so thank you so much for your opinion and your quality information!

Sincerely,

theliberalgunowner

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton

Tags
.308 , 7.62 x 51