The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 27, 2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Frustrating Range Trip

Hey guys,

I'm still pretty new to shooting, probably less than a year of really focusing on target shooting and group size reductions (or really just shooting groups). I have had zero formal training so I've been reading about different grips, different stances, trigger techniques...doing the best I can.

Last night I had a great group at 15 yards rapid fire, less than 2" for a total of eight shots. I finally had a GOOD grip on the gun, excellent recoil control, and VERY fast target re-acquisition and sight alignment. I reloaded and couldn't get back to that magic spot to save my life.

I do know what type of grip and stance I was using (a true isosceles and thumb over thumb grip) but am finally about to break down and go pay some money for group or individual training.

In the meantime other than just videoing yourself shooting what are some self-training and self-monitoring techniques (mental checklists) you guys use while you are shooting? I am aware that I could just be thinking too much and might do better just shooting...any advice here is appreciated.
Old November 27, 2007, 08:02 AM   #2
sgtdemeo

practice, practice, practice..... and not just at the range. go to a safe place at home, with a safe backstop, and practice your technique using your unloaded firearm. practice your stance, your hold, your trigger squeeze, sight picture, everything. its a lot of repetition, but you have got to build your "muscle memory" just like in sports. the QB dosn't just magically throw wonderful passes, he has thrown them thousands of times in practice. this way, technique is automatic, and he simply has to concentrate on his surroundings and situation. Good luck, and if you are stuck for real, definately there is no shame in seeking out some guidance from an instructor! welcome to the club!
Old November 27, 2007, 08:10 AM   #3
yomama

I call it first time luck!

Really, your first shot will be your best, as you are not anticipating recoil. My shooting gets worse through the session usually, unless it's a .22.

Before you get into paying someone to train you, I'd start with some snap caps for dry fire practice.
Old November 28, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

I regularly dry fire with snap caps at home, I THINK I have pretty good trigger discipline...if there's someone else at the range I'll even get them to mix in some snap caps with live rounds for me to see if I'm flinching. My dreaded Sigma taught me a lot about trigger control. I don't like practicing sight alignment without actually seeing where the rounds are hitting...

I usually shoot my best in a modified isosceles, instead of leaning into the shot I lean back...not out of fear of recoil or anything, I think I can focus on my sight picture better (vision isn't great). That does make follow up shots harder due to almost no recoil control so I'm playing with other stances to make those follow ups shots easier...and I'm tired of looking like a wuss.
Old November 28, 2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Malexander

Quote:
practice, practice, practice...
Totally. No substitute for putting rounds down range and doing so in a consistent and judicious fashion.

Keep shooting, that's the only way to find that sweet spot again.