The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2009, 02:24 PM   #1
nl2471

9mm Question

I posted this in the bullet casting section but I figured you guys would have some input as well. I recently starting casting for 9mm. I'm using a lee 120gr .356 tc mould. The bullets are dropping at about .357 and when I reload them some lead gets shaved off the bullet as it is being seated. I have already flared the case mouth a good amount so my question is should I flare them more or is it ok that some lead is being shaved off?
Old October 10, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If the bullet is smaller in diameter than the case bell, the only ways it should shave are if you are crimping and seating in the same die instead of having a separate crimping die operation, or if the bullet is tipping when you seat it. The latter problem can be cured by getting a Lyman M type case neck expander, which puts a step in the case mouth that lets the bullet sit straight up and down before seating. If it still tips and shaves after that, the the punch of the seater is likely tipping it, and should be changed to match the bullet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 11, 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
GLShooter

Just increase the amount of bell in the case mouth. This will allow the bullet to set pretty straight in the case mouth. I prefer to seat and slightly turn the crimp in as one step then use a taper crimp for the final step. This will cut the lead shaving aspect down about 99%.

Greg
Old October 11, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
jepp2

You say you have already flared the case a good amount.

Can you quantify how much flare you are making? .010"? A .001" increase in bullet diameter shouldn't increase shaving much if any.

I would worry less about the shaving and more about how well they will group from your pistol. Any idea what your barrel prefers?
Old October 11, 2009, 06:54 PM   #5
markshere2

make the bullets fit the cases?

Lee makes a very inexpensive sizing die to bring the bullets back down to.356
It also makes them more rounder ( new use of words?)

It MAY make them too small to shoot accurately through your gun.

Only your accuracy tests will reveal that.

Or increase the flare in the case.

A great custom gun shop: http://petersongunrepair.com
Old October 11, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
armoredman

Ditto on the sizing die. I use the Lee 124gr .356 LRN bullet a lot, and my mould actually drops at .360. I resize half to .358 for 38 Special, and the other half to .356 for my 9mms, and it works great. The sizers are cheap, and come with Lee Liquid Alox as a bennie.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:39 PM   #7
jsflagstad

Quote:
I posted this in the bullet casting section but I figured you guys would have some input as well. I recently starting casting for 9mm. I'm using a lee 120gr .356 tc mould. The bullets are dropping at about .357 and when I reload them some lead gets shaved off the bullet as it is being seated. I have already flared the case mouth a good amount so my question is should I flare them more or is it ok that some lead is being shaved off?
I cast the same load and it drops at the same diameter. Bell the mouths on your cases a bit more and and crimp once seated and your good.

Mine work well...

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old October 12, 2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Ron

I use this same mold for my 9mm as well, and when sized to.356 I get leading which is a pita to get out. The next batch I cast and sized them to .357 which expanded the cases a little, not much, guess what no lead which makes me a happy camper. I figure by flaring the case mouth large enough to seat the boolit w/o shaving lead will probably reduce the case life somewhat but oh well, 9mm's are pretty common around here anyway.