The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
sawdustdad

Refining a Rossi R92 lever action in .357

Picked up my first lever action. Seems to shoot nice, but is obviously not top of the line quality. Hurts my fingers to get more than a couple rounds down the magazine through the loading gate. I bought it used, but it looks new. Wondering if there are any easy "tweaks" that might make it more functional. Not currently involved in CAS, but thinking might eventually want to give it a try. Need a couple more guns before I can go there...

Maybe it could use some polishing of some of the internal parts that feed the cartridges down the magazine...maybe chamfering some of the sharp edges?
Old October 28, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Hawg

Get one cartridge started and push it in with the next. That way you only have to fully load one with your finger.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:22 AM   #3
sawdustdad

Seems like every other round or so gets hung up on something going into the magazine tube, and I need to fiddle with the round to get it to go. It's not like they all slide smoothly into the magazine.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
twobit

A couple of years ago I bought a Rossi 92 in 45colt. It was very tight and stiff. I bought this tune-up video and some parts from Stevesgunz and followed the instructions. I now have a very slick, smooth running gun. you can also send the whole gun to him and get it done. I highly recommend the video and parts kit.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/
Old October 29, 2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

SAWDUST... I have an older, pre safety, engraved, saddle ring carbine, in 38 / 357, I bought used ( likely unfired, with just handling dings in the extra grade wood ) that I used for a year & a half shooting CAS, before switching to a Rossi in 45 Colt... feeding cartridges were the same as you are describing, & didn't loosen up in a year & a half of heavy use... I made up a basic tool I kept on a leather strap on my belt, basically just a short wood dowel with a handle ( like a ball starting tool for muzzle loader ) it was really the only way I could get them to feed... the 45 Colt is much easier even though it was fired less, & the cartridges are heavier... I think in part, easier because my finger could more easily fit in the 45 loading gate...

I'd be interested if Steve has a fix for that particular problem, as MRS is now using that rifle, & it's too tough to load for her, without the tool...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 29, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old October 29, 2014, 11:12 AM   #6
sawdustdad

twobit, that's what I was looking for. Excellent. Thank you.
Magnum WM--I might try the dowel trick, but I think I need some tuning, too.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:20 PM   #7
44 Dave

I have taken a little off of the magazine spring to make the last few rounds feed easier.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:37 PM   #8
skizzums

I have the same issue with mine. you could just get one of th speed loaders, or make one just as easy. I don't really know what the bullet is getting hung up on, some slide right in, some need jiggling.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/rubiconspeedloader.htm

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=9559991
Old October 29, 2014, 07:46 PM   #9
skizzums

just found this on a cas forum.

Quote:
I've been surprised how many lever gun shooters aren't acquainted with the correct method of loading tube magazines - instert each cartridge up to the rim and continue doing so until the max number for that magazine is reached. I've known so many that completely insert cartridges - which requires having to overcome the spring of the loading gate for each cartridge.
I wasn't aware of this either, I think this is probably the issue, ill have to give it a ttry
Old October 29, 2014, 08:03 PM   #10
skizzums

wish I had found that a long time ago, I can still feel some resistance when I get to the middle of the mag, but still..soooo much better than than pushing them all the way in.

Old October 30, 2014, 07:08 AM   #11
sawdustdad

I tried that, using one cartridge to push the previous one in, but some of the cartridges get hung up on something, need to be jiggled to go. I'm about to take the gun apart and start polishing guides and chamfering edges. Already chamfered the edges of the loading port so it wouldn't cut my fingers.

What about replacing the magazine follower/plug and the spring? I have the yellow plastic plug. Does the metal plug slide more easily?
Old October 30, 2014, 08:22 AM   #12
twobit

Metal plug is better. I strongly suggest getting that DVD as it tell you what to polish and what surfaces NOT to polish. Also talks about shortening the magazine spring. Without the video I would have never got the gun back together, as there are tricks and a precise order of reassembly.

The Rossi is almost identical to the original Winchester 1892 model. I have one of those in 44-40 made in 1897. It was my great,great grandfathers. My father went through that gun piece by piece in the 1970's and liked to never got it back together, but he did. No manuals could be found for it then. It shoots great and runs as smooth as silk. It is my prized possession. I still, on occasion will get the old Winchester out and fire a round or two through it.

I acquired my Rossi a few years ago so I could have a clone of my real Winchester and shoot it without worry of breaking a 117 year old gun. My Rossi is in 45colt, same as my Cimarron Peacemaker clone revolver. I love shooting the 92 style guns.
Old October 30, 2014, 08:29 AM   #13
twobit

PICS

This is my Rossi in 45colt. An older model with half round / half octagon barrel
[/URL]

This is my 1892 Winchester in 44-40. Made in 1897.
[/URL]

pistol in the photo is not the Peacemaker clone. It is an 1860 clone cap & ball.

Last edited by twobit; October 30, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old October 30, 2014, 08:36 AM   #14
skizzums

I need to get that video too. I have had mine for almost a year and have been to scared to take it apart. I don't feel anything needs polished on mine, but surely ill have to take it apart someday. it looks super complicated
Old October 30, 2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I need to get that video too. I have had mine for almost a year and have been to scared to take it apart. I don't feel anything needs polished on mine, but surely ill have to take it apart someday. it looks super complicated
Be sure you get some sort of instructions for taking your '92 apart. They are more complicated than a '66 or a '73. I have only taken one apart once, an original from 1894. There is at least one part in there that you can put in backwards and the gun will not function properly.
Old October 30, 2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Water-Man

I bought my Rossi/LSI Puma92 .357Mag six years ago. It was good-to-go out of the box and I haven't changed anything since then.

Loading is a little stiff but no big deal. Great rifle that has put deer meat on the table every year.
Old October 30, 2014, 12:47 PM   #17
sawdustdad

There are a couple videos on YouTube that show dis-assembly and reassembly of the R92. You can hear the cattle in the background outside this guy's shop.
Old October 30, 2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

Lots of good instructions for tuning and taking down commonly used Cowboy firearms on this page, including the Rossi 1892.

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html
Old October 31, 2014, 09:34 AM   #19
sawdustdad

Driftwood, thanks! That's an excellent resource. Spent a couple hours last night watching various instructional videos. Headed to the local gun show this weekend to see what vendors might have for CAS accessories for my Rossi.
Old October 31, 2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Magnum Wheel Man

on shotguns... I bought "vintage" several years ago, Cabelas must have bought a large antique double collection... I bought 3 hammer doubles total, & my buddy 2 of them...

the 2 I use for CAS are both old Husquevarna fluid steel hammer doubles... I cut one at 20" for MRS, the one I use was factory 24" ( I usually shoot classic cowboy, & I figure it fits )

the 3rd was priced as a cheap Belgian double, I liked the features, & bought it... I don't think I paid more than $175.00 for any of them...

the 3rd turned out to be miss marked, very nice dolls head, greenier cross bolt engraved, with nice wood side by side 12... that one has been a safe queen so far... haven't wanted to cut down the barrel on it...

I was honestly exploring an idea for a double rifle, ( was going to use my safe queen ) by inserting a rifled liner that adjusted by 3 adjustment screws threaded into the ends of the shotgun barrels, which would then be trimmed flush, & the gaps filled with solder or epoxy, after the barrels were regulated ( MRS cut down shot gun was the proto type ) but it was too heavy, so I cut the threaded holes off, when I coached it...

anyway... often those vintage shotguns are available for very little money, & a quick polish of the chambers, & IMO, they are much nicer than the China replicas
Old November 1, 2014, 10:11 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good link on the 92 DriftwoodJohnson. Thanks!
Old November 5, 2014, 10:42 AM   #22
glee

ROSSI 92

Steve Young is the guy you want to deal with on this gun. [ stevesguns]his video will answer any questions you have on the 92.