The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 22, 2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Skarekrow88

Which RPK?

I plan on buying an RPK style rifle at the end of the year. I don't know much about them and I don't know all the variants that are out there or which are better than others (if any). Anyone know anything about RPKs?
Old October 22, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

Vepr rifles are set up with rpk style receivers and thicker rpk barrels. If you replace the furniture you can get it pretty close. Atlantic firearms might sell them already done up. The cool thing is they are built in the same place they make real rpks.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Skarekrow88

Which RPK?

Vepr's seem like they are on the higher end of the spectrum. I looked on Atlantic and couldn't find any that were already done up to look like an RPK in 7.62x39mm. I'd prefer to not have to replace any furniture, do any work or spend over $1000. Know anything about the Polish M64, Romanian M72 or AES-10's?
Old October 26, 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

From what I know, they are built like long barrel aks. they don't have the correct receiver. not sure on the polish though. if all you want is a dressed up ak, they would be fine.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
halfcocked

If I were getting one, the Century (Romanian) AES-10B (must have the B) has the correct receiver and appears to the be closest to an actual RPK. I goofed on gunbroker and bid on a AES-10 (not the B) and was disappointed when I realized my mistake. The AES-10 is nice - it has a bipod, long barrel, club foot stock and carry handle, but is just an ak receiver and a thin barrel. Also the bipod is an RPK style but it is mounted at the handguard and folds forward which sucks. The AES-10B was released later and cured most of the originals deficiencies. Their price has been +/-$1000 last I looked a few months back.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Bart Noir

Quote:
Which RPK?
With a dreamy look in my eye, I respond "why, the one that actually goes full auto, of course".

But then, the ammo costs would eat you alive

Bart Noir
Old October 30, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Erno86

You can make your RPK look better, by putting on a AK47 14x1 Tabuk flash hider. Buy a Harris bipod that clamps on the barrel just behind the gas port extension tube, which will give you better barrel harmonics; then the supplied bipod. A MAS recoil pad, fits perfectly on the clubfoot stock. A 75 round drum adds to the cool factor.

I just bought a fake RPK Tabuk AES-10 in semi auto --- which has all the hardware above, including the carry handle --- but I'll have to check the receiver if it has a "B" or not.

I bought the rifle in good condition for $1300, just before the October 1st new Maryland gun ban. I do like the long thin barrel, along with the side mounted 4x Russian sniper rangefinder scope.

I also bought a Romanian PSL, just before the Maryland deadline.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; October 30, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Cy4ka

Yugos are the way to go if ya ask me